Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #12,183 of 14,276
A quick question to all watch-heads here: what kind of affordable tourbillon would you recommend and why?

Isn't "affordable tourbillon" an oxymoron?

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #12,184 of 14,276
Isn't "affordable tourbillon" an oxymoron?

There are some tourbillon manufactures in China selling their watches for under $1000. I saw one with a movement from Seagull which is supposedly one of the brands at least trying to make an actual tourbillon. It appeared to function, but it certainly wasn’t the work of art usually associated with tourbillons. They also haven’t been out long enough to have a sense of durability/longevity.

That said, if you really wanted a watch with a tourbillon rather than a specific watch, it might be worth a go.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #12,185 of 14,276
There are some tourbillon manufactures in China selling their watches for under $1000. I saw one with a movement from Seagull which is supposedly one of the brands at least trying to make an actual tourbillon. It appeared to function, but it certainly wasn’t the work of art usually associated with tourbillons. They also haven’t been out long enough to have a sense of durability/longevity.

That said, if you really wanted a watch with a tourbillon rather than a specific watch, it might be worth a go.

Sure... and this is antithetical to the question, so forgive me, but when I think 'tourbillon'... the brain goes here:

https://www.breguet.com/en/history/inventions/tourbillon

And...

Breguet Tourbillon.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #12,186 of 14,276
never mind the tourbillon, if you put mechanical wrist watch and swiss made words together, affordable would be the last thing in people's mind, until they remember....swatch,tissot,...not sure what else

anyway, affordable tourbillon, you have to go to chinese manufacturers like seagull, i don't think there are many options out there

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #12,187 of 14,276
never mind the tourbillon, if you put mechanical wrist watch and swiss made words together, affordable would be the last thing in people's mind, until they remember....swatch,tissot,...not sure what else

anyway, affordable tourbillon, you have to go to chinese manufacturers like seagull, i don't think there are many options out there

That's what I thought. No tourbillon for me then. At least not yet. It'd be probably better to go with something without this mechanism if a budget to spend is below 3K.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #12,188 of 14,276
That's what I thought. No tourbillon for me then. At least not yet. It'd be probably better to go with something without this mechanism if a budget to spend is below 3K.

I think you'd need to add at least a zero to that budget if you're looking for a tourbillon. Not sure if even 30K would cut it though.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #12,189 of 14,276
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #12,190 of 14,276

You have to be rather careful as Seagull are often copied. Whenever something looks too cheap, I always stay away.
While I have yet to see one of the Seagull Toubillions in person, I understand that they're rather nice.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #12,192 of 14,276
You have to be rather careful as Seagull are often copied. Whenever something looks too cheap, I always stay away.
While I have yet to see one of the Seagull Toubillions in person, I understand that they're rather nice.

Agreed. The one I saw didn’t look cheap, it just didn’t have the same visual impact as tourbillons I’ve seen from the Swiss makers. For a little under $1000, it seemed a reasonable price for what it was based on a fairly brief look.

Saw one for $89. Have some questions there....

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #12,194 of 14,276
I went for a traditional movement. Really like the more workmanlike aesthetics of the SKX007, but picked up this Borealis Cascais in an attempt for improved timekeeping.

LxQcl2c.jpg

That's a lovely piece.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #12,195 of 14,276
I went for a traditional movement. Really like the more workmanlike aesthetics of the SKX007, but picked up this Borealis Cascais in an attempt for improved timekeeping.

LxQcl2c.jpg

Handsome. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back