Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Feb 17, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8,792 of 14,285
  My only other Seiko.
Love the Monster!!!

Yeah, the Monster is a truly sexy beast IMO.

I think I'd take the one with metal links though, or switch it to shark mesh. I think personally that rubber sort of messes with the aesthetics. I reckon it feels very good to wear though.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #8,794 of 14,285
So I have a question for the more knowlegeable collectors on here....I am being given some money by dad (which was left to him by his mum) he is kindly splitting it between his off spring. So I have been told to expect circa £500.00 and that I should use it to buy something as a keepsake. I have therefore decided to use this for a new watch.....which hopefully I will be able to pass on to my son in a few years time.

So what should I look to buy / consider in the region of £700 to £1,000. I am looking for something that would ideally dress up or down, is not to dressy but at the same time is not in your face. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #8,795 of 14,285
So I have a question for the more knowlegeable collectors on here....I am being given some money by dad (which was left to him by his mum) he is kindly splitting it between his off spring. So I have been told to expect circa £500.00 and that I should use it to buy something as a keepsake. I have therefore decided to use this for a new watch.....which hopefully I will be able to pass on to my son in a few years time.

So what should I look to buy / consider in the region of £700 to £1,000. I am looking for something that would ideally dress up or down, is not to dressy but at the same time is not in your face. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

You should really consider the offerings of Christopher Ward. They have a number of very nice watches in your price range.  The C60 Tridents are my favorite but CW offers many others.

Did I mention they are a British company. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #8,796 of 14,285

If I have that kind of money lying around I would get this Tissot Squelette, its a little bit in your face though.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #8,797 of 14,285
On the low end of that price range, I like Hamilton's automatic watches. Especially something like their "Spirit of Liberty" auto.

On the high end of that, the Bell & Ross vintage series (like the Vintage BR-123) would be amazing. 

Alternately - you can get a LOT of watch, for that budget, in vintage time pieces. But it does take more research, and some willingness to accept a bit of imperfection.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #8,799 of 14,285

-In that price class you can definitely get a watch which can be handed down to your children in due time; you've already gotten a few excellent suggestions, I'm just going to chime in with a couple more to add to the confusion -

Sinn - German brand with a somewhat understated appearance; have a look at their 556 watches, for instance. They've got a UK distributor, too, so no customs to worry about.

Frederique Constant, too, is a brand which IMHO provides good watches with excellent finish at a sensible price point.

Not to mention Stowa; I really like some of their designs, in particular the bauhaus-inspired Antea Klassik and the Marine Klassik.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #8,801 of 14,285
You should really consider the offerings of Christopher Ward. They have a number of very nice watches in your price range.  The C60 Tridents are my favorite but CW offers many others.

Did I mention they are a British company. :wink_face:

On the low end of that price range, I like Hamilton's automatic watches. Especially something like their "Spirit of Liberty" auto.

On the high end of that, the Bell & Ross vintage series (like the Vintage BR-123) would be amazing. 

Alternately - you can get a LOT of watch, for that budget, in vintage time pieces. But it does take more research, and some willingness to accept a bit of imperfection.

-In that price class you can definitely get a watch which can be handed down to your children in due time; you've already gotten a few excellent suggestions, I'm just going to chime in with a couple more to add to the confusion -

Sinn - German brand with a somewhat understated appearance; have a look at their 556 watches, for instance. They've got a UK distributor, too, so no customs to worry about.

Frederique Constant, too, is a brand which IMHO provides good watches with excellent finish at a sensible price point.

Not to mention Stowa; I really like some of their designs, in particular the bauhaus-inspired Antea Klassik and the Marine Klassik.

Thanks guys some great options there.....possibly to many lol.

I do like the look of both the Sinn and Stowa options :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #8,802 of 14,285

I absolutely love the Spirit of Liberty with the black leather band, the one without yellow gold on the face. It's stunning. The shade of blue on the second hand is amazing and accents against the silver/black very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back