Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #8,552 of 14,284
Jan 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #8,553 of 14,284
  There was a recent case about them carrying grey market Omega's... the court decided against Omega, basically saying - if you don't want your watches sold cheap in the US, don't sell them cheap elsewhere. There was no compelling reason to not have the same watch available in the US at the same list price. And that certainly there was no legal leg to stand on that would prevent Costco from buying them legally in one country, and then reselling them.

…and this is why companies like Rolex, Shure, and "used-to-be Bose" when Amar Bose was alive…etc., demand that all authorized dealers must charge msrp,
in order to be allowed to sell their wares. They don't want their name watered down. This is a perfect example. Every store must charge the asking price in order to maintain their authorized dealer status.

Costco is the epitome of the theory of buying in bulk in order for the consumer to be awarded with a lower price. Wholesale vs. retail, so to speak. This was James Sinegal's vision and brainchild. There is a stigma attached to Costco, and buying jewelry or a fancy watch there, just plain bothers me 
redface.gif

Would I buy a 6-pack of Hanes skivvies? A 2-pack of Miralax because I am a middle-aged constipated man? Hell yeah!

Just not a beautiful watch. Everytime I look at it, my smell senses that remind me of the purchase, will be infused with the delectable smell of 100 rotisserie chickens. 
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8,554 of 14,284

…and this is why companies like Rolex, Shure, and "used-to-be Bose" when Amar Bose was alive…etc., demand that all authorized dealers must charge msrp,
in order to be allowed to sell their wares. They don't want their name watered down. This is a perfect example. Every store must charge the asking price in order to maintain their authorized dealer status.

Costco is the epitome of the theory of buying in bulk in order for the consumer to be awarded with a lower price. Wholesale vs. retail, so to speak. This was James Sinegal's vision and brainchild. There is a stigma attached to Costco, and buying jewelry or a fancy watch there, just plain bothers me 
redface.gif

Would I buy a 6-pack of Hanes skivvies? A 2-pack of Miralax because I am a middle-aged constipated man? Hell yeah!

Just not a beautiful watch. Everytime I look at it, my smell senses that remind me of the purchase, will be infused with the delectable smell of 100 rotisserie chickens. 
tongue.gif

Their point was, Costco was asking the MSRP, just not the US one. The court's decision was, you can't sell it for a lower price in a different country, then complain when someone sells it in the US for that price. If Omega wants to not dilute their pricing, they need to be consistent in it and charge the same price in Uraguay as the do in the US.  Sticking a globe stamp on the case, doesn't change the product sufficiently to warrant different version pricing, and even if it did, there is no reason to limit the import of that version, just to protect price.  

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #8,555 of 14,284
Wearing my Olivier today.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,556 of 14,284

Their point was, Costco was asking the MSRP, just not the US one. The court's decision was....  

I understood. My post was one of "light-hearted" opinion…hence the emoticons 
redface.gif

tongue.gif

Going to Tourneau to purchase a watch, is part of my total purchasing experience. Part of the "thrill of the chase" portion of the hobby.
As trite as it may sound for me to say.
Buying a lesser price watch from Costco, like a $300 G-Shock, I can validate in my mind.

But not a $3000 Omega or Brietling. Just my own madness. 
blink.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #8,557 of 14,284
Hah - fair enough. I can certainly understand. For me I enjoy the hunt for vintage pieces, but if it's just a matter of spending on a new watch, then I'd rather go where I spend less. :D

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #8,559 of 14,284
My collection thus far - not that I'm planning anything new ... 

1. Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean cal 8500 - bought in 2012, it's surprisingly enough accurate to the second last time I benched it over 48 hours. Workhorse! 

2. Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon - love at first sight. It's amazing - extremely comfortable to wear and not everything you see every day. Not cheap, but god damn it I love it. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #8,560 of 14,284
Two beauties and once again why us of lesser means don't even need to post our meager LumiNox, Tissot, Victorinox, Hamilton and dare I say TIMEX
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #8,561 of 14,284
  Two beauties and once again why us of lesser means don't even need to post our meager LumiNox, Tissot, Victorinox, Hamilton and dare I say TIMEX
frown.gif

Not true. There is beauty in pretty much every watch I've ever seen. I don't care much for fakes, that much I can say. I'd rather have an awesome automatic Tissot instead for a tad increase in price - but there are awesome watches when on a budget. Never assume anything else. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #8,562 of 14,284

Not true. There is beauty in pretty much every watch I've ever seen. I don't care much for fakes, that much I can say. I'd rather have an awesome automatic Tissot instead for a tad increase in price - but there are awesome watches when on a budget. Never assume anything else. 

Oh I love all my watches but they are not on par with the next class up which your Omega's, Tag's, Breit's, Baume's and Weil's are in. I too can appreciate them all the way up into the upper echelon of fine time pieces IWC, Piguet, U-Nard's on up to the money no object babies like the Zenith El Primero Chrono or a Jeager Turbee!  I just can't afford them. 

Sad part for me is my lack of patience, if I would have just waited and saved on the 7 watches I own I could have had a nice Freelancer and Fangio Ltd.! or Seamaster and a B&M Clifton. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #8,563 of 14,284
  Oh I love all my watches but they are not on par with the next class up which your Omega's, Tag's, Breit's, Baume's and Weil's are in. I too can appreciate them all the way up into the upper echelon of fine time pieces IWC, Piguet, U-Nard's on up to the money no object babies like the Zenith El Primero Chrono or a Jeager Turbee!  I just can't afford them.

Sad part for me is my lack of patience, if I would have just waited and saved on the 7 watches I own I could have had a nice Freelancer and Fangio Ltd.! or Seamaster and a B&M Clifton.

Some of what I've had that I've been freed from.
It's now down to a half dozen or so more simple beauties that I rotate through...

Loved them all.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #8,564 of 14,284
As well you should have! 

You seem to be a guy in the know Shane, how legit is this website? www.authenticwatches.com/ 

My buddy says he is looking to pick up a TAG Aquaracer from them and I told him to hold off until I asked around. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #8,565 of 14,284
  As well you should have! 

You seem to be a guy in the know Shane, how legit is this website? www.authenticwatches.com/ 

My buddy says he is looking to pick up a TAG Aquaracer from them and I told him to hold off until I asked around. 

I made a purchase of a TAG Aquaracer with diamonds bezel for my wife from them and I am very happy with the purchase.
Came with all the original stuff including paperwork and shipped very fast. They have been in business for long time. IMO if they were not legit in this era of social media they could not been able to survive with bad reputation spreading fast.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back