Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jan 25, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #8,536 of 14,276
For those of you who have a sizable watch collection (I have about 25), how do you decide which ones to where, when?

I usually use my G-Shock on weekends unless I am going somewhere special, then I rotate my "nicer" watches on a weekly basis.
I used to use watch winders for the automatics, but I gave up on those. 

When I know I am going to work in a dirtier environment, or chance of getting it scratched on sharp edged equipment, then I rotate in
my other stock.
I don't want my babies to feel neglected.

I have around 50 watches in total as well (currently), and I wear what I want based on my mood, occasion, and what goes well with whatever I'm wearing. I wear certain watches for coaching, teaching, performing network administration work, hiking and other activities. I will wear my silver limited edition G today - just because. I won't be sweating, so no issues regarding messing up the G. :bigsmile_face:

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #8,537 of 14,276
For those of you who have a sizable watch collection (I have about 25), how do you decide which ones to where, when?

I usually use my G-Shock on weekends unless I am going somewhere special, then I rotate my "nicer" watches on a weekly basis.
I used to use watch winders for the automatics, but I gave up on those. 

When I know I am going to work in a dirtier environment, or chance of getting it scratched on sharp edged equipment, then I rotate in
my other stock.
I don't want my babies to feel neglected.

I often think about this. I don't have a huge collection like some, maybe 20 or so but in that 20 or so I have Favourites...

My daily go to is this.

For important meetings, this

But this is what I am lusting after recently...

I'm not super rich so would consider trading the planet ocean towards the Heritage 46, what do you guys think?

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #8,538 of 14,276
SpudHarris, the Planet Ocean is a nice watch, and the Heritage 46 is an awesome watch as well. I would say keep your Planet Ocean if you have any type of nostalgic ties to it and work towards acquiring the 46, or trade in the Omega if you have truly gotten tired of it, and if you can get a lot of (or more) of what you may have paid for it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #8,539 of 14,276
I often think about this. I don't have a huge collection like some, maybe 20 or so but in that 20 or so I have Favourites...

My daily go to is this.

For important meetings, this

But this is what I am lusting after recently...

I'm not super rich so would consider trading the planet ocean towards the Heritage 46, what do you guys think?

I wouldn't give up a co-axial Omega for any modern Breitling.  But it's not my collection.  What I would do, if I were you and what I have done in the past in similar situations, is I list the Omega for a high price - an offer I couldn't refuse.  If someone bites, I call it fate.  Fortunately the PO isn't super rare so you can always get it back.  Selling takes a long time so that usually allows me to come to my senses.  How long have to be longing for the Super Ocean?

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #8,541 of 14,276
Richard mille makes some of the most atrociously hideous watches regardless of pricing, this one is no different. Even if they cost a hundred euro I wouldn't buy them. :p

A friend of mine drives a pastel orange 181K daily driver. I would not drive it. I would want a different color.
Still I'm not super rich so I don't know what they like.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #8,542 of 14,276
SpudHarris, the Planet Ocean is a nice watch, and the Heritage 46 is an awesome watch as well. I would say keep your Planet Ocean if you have any type of nostalgic ties to it and work towards acquiring the 46, or trade in the Omega if you have truly gotten tired of it, and if you can get a lot of (or more) of what you may have paid for it.
I wouldn't give up a co-axial Omega for any modern Breitling.  But it's not my collection.  What I would do, if I were you and what I have done in the past in similar situations, is I list the Omega for a high price - an offer I couldn't refuse.  If someone bites, I call it fate.  Fortunately the PO isn't super rare so you can always get it back.  Selling takes a long time so that usually allows me to come to my senses.  How long have to be longing for the Super Ocean?

Thanks guys, I have given myself a good talking to. I love the Planet Ocean, I am far from tired of it, just impatient to get the next acquisition. I have been looking at the Breitling for a few months at our local mall (same place I got the Planet Ocean) so have touched and felt it and it is calling me but I will put my big boy pants on and do the right thing. I'll save up for the Breitling....

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #8,543 of 14,276
Thanks guys, I have given myself a good talking to. I love the Planet Ocean, I am far from tired of it, just impatient to get the next acquisition. I have been looking at the Breitling for a few months at our local mall (same place I got the Planet Ocean) so have touched and felt it and it is calling me but I will put my big boy pants on and do the right thing. I'll save up for the Breitling....

Great decision!  That Breitling is really classy, I must say. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  I knew I saw Breitlings at Costco, so I went online and found one that is similar to yours: http://www.costco.com/Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-Chronograph-Men's-Automatic-Watch.product.100153556.html.  Maybe that one is more economical, I'm not sure as I didn't sign in to see the price.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #8,544 of 14,276
Nice to see some CWs above.

Today I'm wearing my Christopher Ward C10 Aviator Mk I.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #8,546 of 14,276
Jan 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #8,547 of 14,276

Great decision!  That Breitling is really classy, I must say. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  I knew I saw Breitlings at Costco, so I went online and found one that is similar to yours: http://www.costco.com/Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-Chronograph-Men's-Automatic-Watch.product.100153556.html.  Maybe that one is more economical, I'm not sure as I didn't sign in to see the price.

Am I the only one who is really bothered by Breitilings being sold at Costco's? As well as some other nice watches. 

It goes totally against every fiber of my being.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #8,548 of 14,276

Am I the only one who is really bothered by Breitilings being sold at Costco's? As well as some other nice watches. 

Why? I try never to pay list price for a watch if I can avoid it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #8,549 of 14,276

You are not the only one that is bothered. I was reading forums regarding watches that are sold at Costco (when I was trying to find a better price for the Breitling) and saw people accusing them of partaking in a "gray market", and de-valuing established watch brands. I see it both ways. When I saw some Gs that I know their prices normally as being a fraction of the price at my local Costcos, it on one hand made me think "so this is how commercial G Shocks are now...", to "what a great deal for this watch!" I think it is really about how the individual thinks about the matter. You will find 30K diamond/platinum jewelry at Costcos, and other high-priced goods, so it isn't like they sell the lamest, cheapest stuff ever. If it bothers people so much where they can buy their watches, they can just purchase it at Costco, and then if they are ever questioned where they purchased the watch, they can say they purchased it at a store that sells high priced watches and jewelry! Also the person can say that the watch store (it does sell watches, haha) gave them a good price for it - totally omitting the fact they purchased it at a Costco or Costco.com. :bigsmile_face:

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,550 of 14,276
There was a recent case about them carrying grey market Omega's... the court decided against Omega, basically saying - if you don't want your watches sold cheap in the US, don't sell them cheap elsewhere. There was no compelling reason to not have the same watch available in the US at the same list price. And that certainly there was no legal leg to stand on that would prevent Costco from buying them legally in one country, and then reselling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back