Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Sep 1, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #7,951 of 14,276
Everybody's budget is different. A person may want to spend up to a certain amount (for example $50) and call it a budget watch, whereas another person may have more money to put towards purchasing a more expensive watch and may not have a defined an ending 'budget' price. Even though I have multiple watches (posted on this thread), it doesn't mean I would be willing to automatically spend more on each watch, thus raising my budget limits in essence. I would go out on a limb (not going that far out) and say that $1,000 or $500 would not be seen as the budget limit on a watch for most people in this world. Not even $300. It would be more than likely around $30-$60. Some people want a great watch for around that price. And of course there are others who don't mind spending way more than that. Those people probably wouldn't call their watches budget though.
wink.gif

This is interesting. I think I tend to believe that there's a sweet spot that'll appeal to the interested layperson looking beyond a beginner unit. So, when someone asks for headphones recommendations, I tend to go for Grado SR60/80 (< $100) or a used Sennheiser HD25 (< $150). [The Grado choice is a bit idiosyncratic, seeing as most people start at SR60/80. But I happen to think that it's no bad place to end too.] When someone asks for fountain pen recommendations, I tend to advise them to pick up a refurbished Parker 51 (prices vary, but should be < $100) or Lamy 2000 (< $150) or Pelikan M200/205 (< $150); or, if they prefer Japanese nibs, a Pilot 92 (< $120) or Sailor 1911 (~$100). The theme, I think, i that they're all faithful workhorse models that will--with some luck and not an undue amount of abuse--basically last forever. They're not *fancy*--no top-tier flagships, no silver re-cables, no exquisite hand-painted casings, no shiny ebony--but they're well-designed objects all the same. Even if that design is the radioshack DIY look of the Grados.

Maybe that's what I'm looking for, then. A watch that'll serve me faithfully practically forever, and that exemplified good design. I'm tempted by the pricepoints of Kickstarter watches, but I am wary of how well they're made, and how difficult maintenance will be in the decades to come. I have an Issey Miyake 12, but strap-changing is a real pain in the ass, and the shiny chrome is going to deteriorate over time, and quickly. I guess I figured that if I go vintage, at least I'll know that the watch has withstood some life already, and is likely to go one for longer still. That is, it'll be a model with a track record.

Perhaps this is nonsensical, but if there's no sweet spot, perhaps I should ask about the $100-$200 range, given that the pens and headphones I've listed here seem to be at that price. I mean, I spend considerably more on both kinds of objects, but I'm a hobbyist in those cases: not so for watches. As I say, I'm just looking for a watch or two that'll last me for decades to come. Thoughts?

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7,953 of 14,276
This is interesting. I think I tend to believe that there's a sweet spot that'll appeal to the interested layperson looking beyond a beginner unit. So, when someone asks for headphones recommendations, I tend to go for Grado SR60/80 (< $100) or a used Sennheiser HD25 (< $150). [The Grado choice is a bit idiosyncratic, seeing as most people start at SR60/80. But I happen to think that it's no bad place to end too.] When someone asks for fountain pen recommendations, I tend to advise them to pick up a refurbished Parker 51 (prices vary, but should be < $100) or Lamy 2000 (< $150) or Pelikan M200/205 (< $150); or, if they prefer Japanese nibs, a Pilot 92 (< $120) or Sailor 1911 (~$100). The theme, I think, i that they're all faithful workhorse models that will--with some luck and not an undue amount of abuse--basically last forever. They're not *fancy*--no top-tier flagships, no silver re-cables, no exquisite hand-painted casings, no shiny ebony--but they're well-designed objects all the same. Even if that design is the radioshack DIY look of the Grados.

Maybe that's what I'm looking for, then. A watch that'll serve me faithfully practically forever, and that exemplified good design. I'm tempted by the pricepoints of Kickstarter watches, but I am wary of how well they're made, and how difficult maintenance will be in the decades to come. I have an Issey Miyake 12, but strap-changing is a real pain in the ass, and the shiny chrome is going to deteriorate over time, and quickly. I guess I figured that if I go vintage, at least I'll know that the watch has withstood some life already, and is likely to go one for longer still. That is, it'll be a model with a track record.

Perhaps this is nonsensical, but if there's no sweet spot, perhaps I should ask about the $100-$200 range, given that the pens and headphones I've listed here seem to be at that price. I mean, I spend considerably more on both kinds of objects, but I'm a hobbyist in those cases: not so for watches. As I say, I'm just looking for a watch or two that'll last me for decades to come. Thoughts?

Very nice recommendations, but I don't know fountain pens very well.  My fiance does though, so maybe I'll ask her about the ones you posted...or just pick the one I think writes the best (ink doesn't clump up and such).

As for a watch, I may be biased, but I love G-Shocks! 
tongue_smile.gif
  You can never go wrong, and someone has some comment to say to you about it (usually positive).  They are tanks and are specifically designed to be dropped, banged, and even frozen if you are ever around snow or a walk-in freezer.  You can purchased them used online for very reasonable prices, and you can purchase the resin styles, or something as metallically extravagant as these (MT-G Series):

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #7,954 of 14,276
I went to buy a MTG, until I felt how heavy they really are!

…and they aren't atomic solar. Their $300 watches offer so much more than the ~ $1K models.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #7,956 of 14,276
I went to buy a MTG, until I felt how heavy they really are!

…and they aren't atomic solar. Their $300 watches offer so much more than the ~ $1K models.

Yeah, they are more to fill a somewhat luxurious void. Maybe their next generation will be less hefty. The Rangeman (~$300) has all and more of the features that more expensive G-Shocks have.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #7,957 of 14,276

I do have an electric blue G-Shock that is the Second Gen Bluetooth, so I can control my iPhone 5 with it, as I can get notifications when I get emails, link loss alert, music control functions, iPhone sync time, and lots of other little features.  Pretty cool stuff.  The next Gen Bluetooth G-Shock (already out in Japan) can do even more functions.

As for purchasing them, I get the ones that I can't buy at brick and mortar stores on discount, or if they are cheaper online on eBay.  I know how to spot fakes, and I always pick a known (and lot of positives) seller.  Never been duped "knock on wood".  The craziest purchase was when I purchased a crazy colors watch that was going for $1,000 on eBay, but it lowered when they sold a newer batch in Malaysia... well the one I got came to me from Vietnam.  Scary stuff, but totally legit!

I really, really like that blue color. It's awesome.

Yeah, I don't know, I'm still afraid of counterfeit stuff and seeing as I'm probably more of the type to throw it in the bin with regret rather than mess and argue back and forth with some seller, I just figure I'd pay the few extra bucks for the peace of mind. Casios aren't the most expensive watches of the bunch, so what's a few extra dollars if I know I'm getting genuine stuff? It's just me though. 

Interesting that Garmin uses the name "Fenix" and not "Phoenix" as a model name.

Fenix is a manufacturer of Grade A flashlights (I own 4 different types…go Flashlight-Fi!)

Garmin is a french brand, so I reckon Fenix is the proper spelling in France. I know it is in Sweden and most germanic languages. The apostrophe though, I think it's just a design choice to look cool. :wink:

The LG G Watch R, probably my current favorite smart watch (that will actually look close to the renders). The Kairos Hybrid watch renders were absolutely beautiful but it's a shame the watch won't end up being as nice as they've shown in the video clips. I'm hoping that Apple's offering is truly jaw dropping or I may end up trying to get one of these LG watches to work properly with iOS.

I wouldn't mess with Android watches for iOS. I really don't think there's any way for a layman to get it working properly without some serious hacking due to different protocols and such. In case you really want to do it though, I'd suggest learning how the Pebble works since it works for Androids and iOS devices.. or just wait until someone develops an app to talk to the LG watch since it's bluetooth and that's the fundamental common denominator to make it work. You could also just switch camps to Android... I have both an iPhone 5S and Samsung Note 2 -- the difference in usability is minor once you learn how to use them both. iOS has the best looking apps though, no doubt.

Everybody's budget is different. A person may want to spend up to a certain amount (for example $50) and call it a budget watch, whereas another person may have more money to put towards purchasing a more expensive watch and may not have a defined an ending 'budget' price. Even though I have multiple watches (posted on this thread), it doesn't mean I would be willing to automatically spend more on each watch, thus raising my budget limits in essence. I would go out on a limb (not going that far out) and say that $1,000 or $500 would not be seen as the budget limit on a watch for most people in this world. Not even $300. It would be more than likely around $30-$60. Some people want a great watch for around that price. And of course there are others who don't mind spending way more than that. Those people probably wouldn't call their watches budget though.
wink.gif

Have you looked at Braun watches? I think they might fit your bill. I'm no watch aficionado, but I've been keeping my eyes on watches for a while and I've heard nothing but good stuff about them, even from enthusiasts.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #7,958 of 14,276
Thanks, @Coq De Combat.  I love the electric blue watch because there just are only a few G-Shocks models in that color and that particular color is exclusive to just about any other watch brand.

As for counterfeit vs. legitimate watches (and items in general), I wouldn't necessarily correlate a lower price of an item to it possibly being a counterfeit.  The seller could want the item to move fast, and that could mean lowering the price significantly (there was a seller on Head-Fi who sold his Hugo for $900 used when it is originally sold ~$2,400-$2,500 new).  There is a chance of any item being sold on a black market, or an item being sold as new (and for full price) when in actuality it is reconditioned/refurbished - and as a result, the buyer more than likely wouldn't have a clue.  What I would suggest (and what I do when purchasing goods online) is research what the going rate is for the particular item on multiple websites as well as the manufacturer's website if you can, and know that if there is a huge gap regarding the MSRP and the sale/price of the item being sold, you can always ask questions to the seller, and check out their reviews and/or positive to negative feedback, and you can also pay with Paypal so if there are ever any discrepancies or issues, you can receive a refund.  Even though Casios aren't the most expensive around, saving $50 regarding a $200 Casio G-Shock (or any other item) is $50 saved, nonetheless.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,959 of 14,276

The LG G Watch R, probably my current favorite smart watch (that will actually look close to the renders). The Kairos Hybrid watch renders were absolutely beautiful but it's a shame the watch won't end up being as nice as they've shown in the video clips. I'm hoping that Apple's offering is truly jaw dropping or I may end up trying to get one of these LG watches to work properly with iOS.

Speaking of smart watches. I really like the Withings Activité:

http://www.withings.com/activite/en-US

I am not sure it is as "smart" as LG's but I love the design of the Withings. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #7,960 of 14,276
  My all time favorite watch and its almost doubled in price since I bought it!

Absolutely gorgeous. You have fine taste in wrist wear.

Speaking of tastes, I like a more subtle watch than the ones that have super busy faces. I know the G-Shocks are popular around here, is there one that has a more simple analog face without any digital readouts? I can't remember one that I've come across which suits my design preferences but I certainly respect their durability.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,961 of 14,276
Guys,

I am thinkin of getting a watch for everyday use at the office. I have a Speedy Pro, a dress Maurice Lacroix and a Tissot T-touch Expert, but want something casual in between T-Touch and the other watches. i have found a nice looking Tissot PR 516 GL Automatic.

What do you think of this watch?

Me dad have the same watch...lol...since the 70's

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #7,962 of 14,276

Absolutely gorgeous. You have fine taste in wrist wear.

Speaking of tastes, I like a more subtle watch than the ones that have super busy faces. I know the G-Shocks are popular around here, is there one that has a more simple analog face without any digital readouts? I can't remember one that I've come across which suits my design preferences but I certainly respect their durability.

Usually, it is the Aviation line of G-Shock that has the most digital-less readout watches in its arsenal.

Here are a few of many, many G-Shocks that do not have a digital readout:

GPW-1000-1AJF:

GW-4000-2AJF:

GWA1100R-4A:

GAC110-1A:

GWA1000FC-5A with other variation of colors:

GAC100AC-2A:

And for one of the most subtle digital readouts (small and negative display)...
...the GA200SPR-1A:

What makes G-Shock so great is the multitude of styles that caters to most everyone's tastes.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #7,963 of 14,276
  Thanks, @Coq De Combat.  I love the electric blue watch because there just are only a few G-Shocks models in that color and that particular color is exclusive to just about any other watch brand.

As for counterfeit vs. legitimate watches (and items in general), I wouldn't necessarily correlate a lower price of an item to it possibly being a counterfeit.  The seller could want the item to move fast, and that could mean lowering the price significantly (there was a seller on Head-Fi who sold his Hugo for $900 used when it is originally sold ~$2,400-$2,500 new).  There is a chance of any item being sold on a black market, or an item being sold as new (and for full price) when in actuality it is reconditioned/refurbished - and as a result, the buyer more than likely wouldn't have a clue.  What I would suggest (and what I do when purchasing goods online) is research what the going rate is for the particular item on multiple websites as well as the manufacturer's website if you can, and know that if there is a huge gap regarding the MSRP and the sale/price of the item being sold, you can always ask questions to the seller, and check out their reviews and/or positive to negative feedback, and you can also pay with Paypal so if there are ever any discrepancies or issues, you can receive a refund.  Even though Casios aren't the most expensive around, saving $50 regarding a $200 Casio G-Shock (or any other item) is $50 saved, nonetheless.

True, every dollar saved is money saved. How do you recognize counterfeit watches? From pictures?

Also, I "accidently" just happened to order just one tiny piece of G-Shock to add to the list of the ones I'm waiting for:

Next month (I really, really order more watches this pay month) I'd like to order a nice divers watch, just because they look so darned good. I can't say I dive a lot (nothing), but man do they look spectacular when done right. Something like the Seiko Black Monster... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back