Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #5,341 of 14,283
For Under $200, you can get a pretty good Seiko Monster or a decent range of Seiko 5 models and even a few Seiko Kinetic models (they use an automatic movements rotor to generate power stored in a capacitor for a quartz movement - best parts of autos and quartz watches all in one package). Heck, if you took a look at worldofwatches.com or amazon, you'll find some good Seiko 5 automatic watches for under $100.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #5,342 of 14,283

Quote:
For Under $200, you can get a pretty good Seiko Monster or a decent range of Seiko 5 models and even a few Seiko Kinetic models (they use an automatic movements rotor to generate power stored in a capacitor for a quartz movement - best parts of autos and quartz watches all in one package). Heck, if you took a look at worldofwatches.com or amazon, you'll find some good Seiko 5 automatic watches for under $100.

I think I will get a G Shock for now and get a vintage Accutron Spaceview or Omega Seamaster a little later. I want a watch for durability; no bezel, case, or crystal to scratch up. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5,343 of 14,283
My vote is for the GWM5600A-3 Pure classic with the valuable up dates of atomic and solar!

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #5,344 of 14,283
For around $110, a watch-nerd friend of mine turned me onto this:

[size=x-small]Made in Japan !!
Automatic Movement
Stainless steel case
Nylon strap
Green dial
Black with Lumibrite hands and markers
See-through case back
100m Water resistant
23 Jewels
Hardlex Crystal
Day and date display at 3 o'clock position

Case diameter: 40.5mm (excluding crown)
Case diameter: 43mm (including crown)[/size]

Be sure to get the model number with J instead of K (Korean Made and around $10 less)...

If you get one, I think you will be quite impressed by the attention to detail.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #5,346 of 14,283
Alright, I'll try to get a shot up of the Accutron collection. :) Mind you, watches were my first collecting passion and I've been at it for 25 years. I've yad some neat stuff pass through my hands over the years. Much of it thanks to my wonderful, late, Uncle Ted. I've also been into old radios, electric fans and - believe it or not - old toasters. I settled on a commercial Toastswell from the 1930s. It kicks mucho butt.

Currently, I'm passionate about a 19J Zenith handwound from the early 1950s. Sensational watch that has the same design æsthetic as Patek and Audemars from the same period. Clean, classy, surprisingly accurate, and only about $175. I'd recommend one to anyone. Aside from it, I also wear a Sinn 656 and 244Ti. But the Zenith is the lightest on the wrist and more dressy.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #5,348 of 14,283

Quote:
For around $110, a watch-nerd friend of mine turned me onto this:

[size=x-small]Made in Japan !!
Automatic Movement
Stainless steel case
Nylon strap
Green dial
Black with Lumibrite hands and markers
See-through case back
100m Water resistant
23 Jewels
Hardlex Crystal
Day and date display at 3 o'clock position

Case diameter: 40.5mm (excluding crown)
Case diameter: 43mm (including crown)[/size]

Be sure to get the model number with J instead of K (Korean Made and around $10 less)...

If you get one, I think you will be quite impressed by the attention to detail.

Nevermind.
So the only to scratch is the case. Does it keep decent time? How many +/- seconds a day?

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #5,349 of 14,283
^I'll ask my friend how accurate they are, he checks all of his watches against his atomic watches and has even started adjusting them.  

He has one of these Seiko's also so I can have him see what mine is doing as well.  Will report back...

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #5,350 of 14,283

Quote:
Alright, I'll try to get a shot up of the Accutron collection.
smily_headphones1.gif
Mind you, watches were my first collecting passion and I've been at it for 25 years. I've yad some neat stuff pass through my hands over the years. Much of it thanks to my wonderful, late, Uncle Ted. I've also been into old radios, electric fans and - believe it or not - old toasters. I settled on a commercial Toastswell from the 1930s. It kicks mucho butt.

Currently, I'm passionate about a 19J Zenith handwound from the early 1950s. Sensational watch that has the same design æsthetic as Patek and Audemars from the same period. Clean, classy, surprisingly accurate, and only about $175. I'd recommend one to anyone. Aside from it, I also wear a Sinn 656 and 244Ti. But the Zenith is the lightest on the wrist and more dressy.

Thanks so much, I am really looking forward to seeing the collection. Re the Zeniths. I have always felt they are somewhat the sleeper high end watch company. Amazing movements equal to all of the well known high end makes. Would love to see that one as well. You bring up a great point as well.For medium money new one can get a beautiful vintage watch from some of the great makers. I have seen many beautiful vintage Girard Perregaux watches from the 50's/60's go for amazingly cheap prices, beautiful watches oozing class and style.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #5,351 of 14,283
Nevermind.
So the only to scratch is the case. Does it keep decent time? How many +/- seconds a day?

I have had a number of the 7s26 movements and it can be hit and miss with accuracy but on the whole I have got around +15 seconds a day which is perfectly acceptable for a mechanical watch.However! Any decent watchmaker can adjust it for you for very little cost to higher accuracy. Thing is if high accuracy is something very important get a quartz. If the thought of having a little engine beating on your wrist is more appealing get a mechanical watch.

I love both mechanical and quartz, I have a Seiko OM which is around +15 and an Omega constellation thermocompensated quartz accurate to +4 seconds.. A year! I love both for different reasons.The movements in these Seikos are wonderful and always remind me of the hey day of mechanical watches where it was the only movement of choice and millions were made, good,solid reliable movements

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5,353 of 14,283

Quote:
Seiko Monster? It looks so tempting but ehh. 

It is a lovely watch and I am one of those folks who thinks no watch collection is complete without one!

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #5,355 of 14,283

Users who are viewing this thread

Back