Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #4,771 of 14,270

Quote:
I have this great band made by Bros. Not sure if they still make it or not.
Used it quite a bit in Mexico, in the water a lot snorkeling, swimming, etc. Looks great (my opinion, of course) and extremely durable. Made of some waterproof material... not sure.

I'm normally not a fan of non-chronograph watches but I love your watch and the band. Do you have any more info (where you got it, how much, etc)?

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #4,772 of 14,270

Quote:
I'm normally not a fan of non-chronograph watches but I love your watch and the band. Do you have any more info (where you got it, how much, etc)?

Yes and no.
The Seamaster was purchased several years ago (with the steel bracelet) at a local brick & mortar Jeweler. I was a return customer, so I got a discount on the watch, but I can't remember how much. And yeah, it's one of the few non-chrono's I own.
The band was purchased online (also several years ago) and I can't remember where or the cost... sorry.
But here's where I used to hang out:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=index
I'm sure someone there can help you... a bit more.

As we age, the less important things fade from our memory... 
wink_face.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #4,773 of 14,270
Well I ended up getting a watch. I was about to get the $150 Citizen from Costco when I saw this right next to it:

The main reason I got it? It was $15.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #4,774 of 14,270

Quote:
Well I ended up getting a watch. I was about to get the $150 Citizen from Costco when I saw this right next to it:

The main reason I got it? It was $15.

Great score!!

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4,775 of 14,270

Quote:
Great score!!

Thanks! When I first saw it I had to ask a Costco employee if that was the correct pricing. There weren't too many left either.

It's not the watch I want, in fact, it's kind of the opposite. I want a black dial, chronograph diver's watch, but I figure I can use this for however long it lasts and then get something that I want down the road. Plus, I've always wondered how long Skagens last, since they are so thin and small.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4,776 of 14,270
I got a new TX watch for kicking around on the weekends.    I love the Seamaster watch above.  I have an Omega Date watch I posted earlier in the thread, but I would like to add a Seamaster at some point down the road, too. 

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #4,777 of 14,270
Anybody else got into watches and then proceeded down the long path of hobby watch dismantling and repair? I was wearing a cheap Chinese automatic the last time I was at work and the spring-bar on the band snapped and the entire watch fell and a whole bunch of cheaply placed markers on the dial fell off and started rattling around inside the case. I took advantage of the situation to start taking the watch apart and had a lot of fun doing it and fiddling with the bits and pieces and putting it back together. Very fun experience and I'm looking forward to doing it more often.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #4,778 of 14,270

Quote:
I got a new TX watch for kicking around on the weekends.    I love the Seamaster watch above.  I have an Omega Date watch I posted earlier in the thread, but I would like to add a Seamaster at some point down the road, too. 

Ooo... nice looking face !

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #4,779 of 14,270
Nixon White Time Teller P
Japanese street fashionista (not gay)
draws soooo many heads....young and old
has even gotten me a couple numbers :wink:

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #4,781 of 14,270
I don't think watches like me. I wore my father's watch(since he got a new one) just long enough to get used to having the time on my wrist. And now this:

The face turned to where 12 o'clock is 5 o'clock
So now I'm wearing the best watch I could scrounge up among the random $10 watches in my room:

It's the one nearest my hand, or the one next to it if I feel like getting something other than the things over my ears stared at.

I suppose I'm asking what a broke teen should expect to pay to get the Seiko fixed. I rather like that watch.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #4,782 of 14,270

Quote:
I don't think watches like me. I wore my father's watch(since he got a new one) just long enough to get used to having the time on my wrist. And now this:

The face turned to where 12 o'clock is 5 o'clock

I suppose I'm asking what a broke teen should expect to pay to get the Seiko fixed. I rather like that watch.

How'd you manage to pull that one off? :)

If you've ever taken a watch apart, you'll see that with the exception of some very small pins or some light adhesive, there is very little holding the actual dial with all the markings in place. Nothing else is really attached to it as all the arms are pressure locked onto a stem that pokes through the center of the dial. Unless whatever happened to that watch caused the control stem and crown to snap away from the movement, fixing it should be no more difficult than taking it all apart, resetting the dial to its proper position and putting everything back together. If that is the case, my local watchmaker/repair man would do it for $10-$15, and I'd expect most watch repair men across the US would have similar rates. If the stem is broken though, you're gonna be paying for a couple of new parts which will get a bit more expensive -- you'd have to get a quote on costs from your repair man for what it'll cost.

That question can be answered pretty easily though: very gently pull the crown and stem out as though you were resetting time. If the crown stem is broken, it's going to pull right out all the way out of the case, and your question is answered. If it remains resistant and you're able to reset the arms and the day/date function (that looks like a day/date window on the dial but I'm not sure), then the problem is likely just the dial came loose and needs to be reset.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #4,783 of 14,270

Quote:

How'd you manage to pull that one off? :)

If you've ever taken a watch apart, you'll see that with the exception of some very small pins or some light adhesive, there is very little holding the actual dial with all the markings in place. Nothing else is really attached to it as all the arms are pressure locked onto a stem that pokes through the center of the dial. Unless whatever happened to that watch caused the control stem and crown to snap away from the movement, fixing it should be no more difficult than taking it all apart, resetting the dial to its proper position and putting everything back together. If that is the case, my local watchmaker/repair man would do it for $10-$15, and I'd expect most watch repair men across the US would have similar rates. If the stem is broken though, you're gonna be paying for a couple of new parts which will get a bit more expensive -- you'd have to get a quote on costs from your repair man for what it'll cost.

That question can be answered pretty easily though: very gently pull the crown and stem out as though you were resetting time. If the crown stem is broken, it's going to pull right out all the way out of the case, and your question is answered. If it remains resistant and you're able to reset the arms and the day/date function (that looks like a day/date window on the dial but I'm not sure), then the problem is likely just the dial came loose and needs to be reset.

Sorry about the lame pic. Yes that is a day/date window. Things seem quite intact. That's quite a relief. Any clue if the age of it will be an issue? My dad bought it in 1981, still keeps great time. Found a much better pic that I meant to post instead:

and another:

Seiko Sports 100 6923-7069. What's with the buy it now on the one on eBay being a $1000? Mine's not quite in such a condition, but wow.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #4,784 of 14,270
Nice: it really is a quality piece. Age shouldn't be a problem considering the basics of watches typically haven't changed much, and it isn't a watch like, say a mint, vintage Rolex that you'd probably want to have done through a Rolex dealer. Any good watch repair man in your vicinity should be able to take care of the work pretty quickly and efficiently. But, yeah, age is never the worst problem for watches. As long as they've been kept well, they'll run for a while. My dad has a watch his dad gave him just before he moved to the US in the late 70's that still keeps time fantastically. Maintain it and take care of it and that watch should last long enough for you to pass on to your kids as well.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #4,785 of 14,270

Users who are viewing this thread

Back