Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #4,756 of 14,272
Jul 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #4,757 of 14,272
I might buy another watch soon, since my $130 Seiko has broken twice in two years and I don't want to send it back for warranty again due to bad experiences last time (took them 2-3 months to return it, shipped it back with a crumpled warranty card and in a wad of newspaper and threw out the original packaging I included).

I really want an Eco Drive. However, the one I like has a leather wristband. How long do these wristbands last for, and would it be possible to replace the leather one for a metal one later on? I like the leather band, but I would wear the watch everywhere (my last watch I wore at my dining hall job scrubbing dishes) and I imagine the water wouldn't be very nice to the leather. Would I be better off with a metal bracelet?

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4,758 of 14,272
If you live in a hot climate, it is not unusual for leather wristbands to wear out in a year or less.  It is usually more cost effective to buy the watch with a metal band and purchase a 3rd party leather band later on.  Kevlar and other synthetics can often achieve the look you're after, but last much longer than leather.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #4,759 of 14,272

Quote:
If you live in a hot climate, it is not unusual for leather wristbands to wear out in a year or less.  It is usually more cost effective to buy the watch with a metal band and purchase a 3rd party leather band later on.  Kevlar and other synthetics can often achieve the look you're after, but last much longer than leather.

+1

Leather will degrade with use, specially at the fold every time you put it ON/OFF.  It will start to wear and delaminate, and must eventually be replaced.  That being said, I love the softer "feel" of leather on my arm, and the "look" of leather, much more than the stiff/cold feel from a metal band.  Replacing the leather band is just a small price to pay for the extra comfort.  Here are a few images of my Stowa, with a leather band and a carbon fiber "look".  The watch itself is in great shape, but the band is already worn from daily use:

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #4,760 of 14,272
Sweet Stowa! Though I'm a watch noob, I love the style of German watches the most. I was looking at Stowa and Sinn watches for a long time but I wasn't able to find any titanium models in my price range. I do like my Junkers watch very much (German, although not quite as German as Stowa and Sinn..) and I hope to get a more true German watch for dress wear one of these days. :)

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #4,761 of 14,272
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go with a metal bracelet. I'm looking at watches from Costco and unfortunately I don't get to really choose between different bands and whatnot.

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #4,762 of 14,272

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go with a metal bracelet. I'm looking at watches from Costco and unfortunately I don't get to really choose between different bands and whatnot.

Just keep in mind that if a leather band is what you really want and the Costco price is really good, there's no reason not to go that way.  For future referene, make sure that the mount point for the band is standard so you can buy aftermarket bands for the watch when it comes time to replace them.  Many manufacturers, including Citizen, occasionally use custom mounts for their bands, pretty much forcing you to buy replacement bands from them and they usually put a huge markup on those bands if you can get them at all. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #4,764 of 14,272

Quote:
How can you tell what mount point type you have?

Since I usually buy my watches from a brick and mortar store, I look to see that the mount point is a standard pin type 18-22mm width, or thereabouts, rather than some fancy cut out mount like what Tissot used on all their first gen. T-touch, or Citizen on their 200m titanium diver's watch, etc...

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #4,765 of 14,272

Quote:
I might buy another watch soon, since my $130 Seiko has broken twice in two years and I don't want to send it back for warranty again due to bad experiences last time (took them 2-3 months to return it, shipped it back with a crumpled warranty card and in a wad of newspaper and threw out the original packaging I included).

I really want an Eco Drive. However, the one I like has a leather wristband. How long do these wristbands last for, and would it be possible to replace the leather one for a metal one later on? I like the leather band, but I would wear the watch everywhere (my last watch I wore at my dining hall job scrubbing dishes) and I imagine the water wouldn't be very nice to the leather. Would I be better off with a metal bracelet?

I have this great band made by Bros. Not sure if they still make it or not.
Used it quite a bit in Mexico, in the water a lot snorkeling, swimming, etc. Looks great (my opinion, of course) and extremely durable. Made of some waterproof material... not sure.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #4,766 of 14,272
That band looks great to my eye, not to mention the watch it's attached to!

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4,767 of 14,272

Quote:
That band looks great to my eye, not to mention the watch it's attached to!

Thanks!
Here's a few more for you then...
wink_face.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #4,768 of 14,272
Oh yeah.
One of my daily wear's has a Hirsch carbon-fiber with a micro-pore rubber back. Very durable and weatherproof.
They have been available in either white or black stitching.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #4,769 of 14,272
As Lawrence Welk would have said;

"Wunnerful-a,  Verrry Nice-a"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back