Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Jul 30, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #4,802 of 14,272
@ dfkt.
Must look great with a tux.
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #4,803 of 14,272
Jul 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4,806 of 14,272
You lucky dog. I adore vintage watches. Many of the older watches have substantially more "class" than modern ones.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #4,811 of 14,272
It is marketed to be high end. But it isn't. It uses some cheap ETA (Swiss) movement. High(er) end watches use in house movements, meaning that the clockwork inside came from their own factory. But brands like Breitling, Omega, and Tag Heuer (usually) use ETA movements although they are higher end but they are still high(er) quality. For something respectable look at some of the Seiko's with automatic movements (i.e. Seiko Monster). Some REAL watch brands are Patek Phillipe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin and A. Lange & Sohne. Sorry this is a terrible explanation, but I am tired.

My personal favorite: http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/our-watches/#screen=PRODUCT;productRef=43178-000G-9393

Oh yeah, it is only about $50,000. I can still dream right?

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #4,812 of 14,272
x2.  

For $500 I'd go Seiko although my targeted Seiko is a Spring drive which is much more.  For a couple grand you can get an Omega as a high end watch that is durable and practical.  I'm saving up my slush fund for the 50th anniversary moon lander.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #4,813 of 14,272
I see. Thanks guys! I've never really went into the schematics of a good dress watch, and I will refer to this for future reference. Feels like the first time I was exposed to Head-Fi after years of listening to Skullcandy's. You've converted one conformist consumer alright. 
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #4,815 of 14,272

Quote:
Omega Speedmaster is going to be my first watch. Now to get that five grand...

You have Spring Drive? Any pics of such a beautiful watch?

Nah no spring drive yet.  Can only get it in Japan or through 1 authorized reseller I know of shipped outside Japan (meant to say Grand Seiko).  My priorities are the Breitling Superquartz Emergency transponder, Omega Speedmaster Apollo 50th, then the Spring drive.  I think I would be done after that.  I'm lucky my father had a vintage Vacheron.  I'm fine balancing collectibilty, usabilty and engineering refinement.  Someday I'll have to get a Tourbillion of some variety.

For those wondering about Seiko and spring drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbmKZ5JXyjo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back