Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Mar 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #346 of 408
We should also sticky this in the "Headphone Amps For Sale" forum. I am still shocked how I see people trying to sell Extremes in their stock form, for basically full price, and saying "I have never had any problem with mine, so it must be fine" - I had never had any "problem" with mine either - but the transformer was well on it's way to burning up, and at some point soon something VERY bad would have happened...

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #347 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should also sticky this in the "Headphone Amps For Sale" forum. I am still shocked how I see people trying to sell Extremes in their stock form, for basically full price, and saying "I have never had any problem with mine, so it must be fine" - I had never had any "problem" with mine either - but the transformer was well on it's way to burning up, and at some point soon something VERY bad would have happened...

I think that in my own FS post I was pretty open and detailed about the state of my amp and its stock (and improperly wired) transformer. I also think I've priced it pretty fairly, even for the case where a buyer immediately replaces the transformer. IMHO, it sounds like a $1000 amp or better, so that's how I've priced it.

I have read this entire thread, and as mentioned in my FS post, had my amp checked out by someone whom I feel is qualified. I concluded that even though "at some point" the transformer would melt, since I've barely used the amp, I'm nowhere near that point. By all reports here, the transformer will not fail suddenly and without warning, but after a period of obvious darkening. Since the transformer cover on my amp is unattached, any buyer is free to perform daily inspections and replace the transformer at the first sign of discoloration.

The tubes are receiving the proper voltage according to their datasheets, the soldering is competent, no components are used out of spec, and the grounding is good. At this point, my Single Power Extreme is the most thoroughly inspected piece of electronics I own, and I feel safer listening to it than driving my Camry
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no objection to making this thread sticky in FS, or even adding a link to it in my own FS post, but I think both measures are overkill: this thread is already in the top google hit for "Single Power Extreme", and I would assume anyone looking to buy a high end amp would at least google it, and then discover the entire sordid tale of Single Power.

Those are my reasons for wording my FS post as I did, but I consider myself a part of this community and certainly do not want another member to injure themselves or feel ripped off buying my amp. I know how I felt when I stumbled across this thread and found out about Mikhail - I don't want people feeling that way about me! So, I welcome any comments on my FS post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...xtreme-476775/

For what it's worth, the fact that nobody has bought it yet is a pretty strong comment in itself.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #348 of 408
Actually, I was not referring to your ad in any way. I think you've been pretty clear. But if you look, there are ads running right now that are FAR vaguer than yours, where there has been no inspection of the amp AT ALL.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #349 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I was not referring to your ad in any way. I think you've been pretty clear. But if you look, there are ads running right now that are FAR vaguer than yours, where there has been no inspection of the amp AT ALL.

Yeah, at first I thought you meant me, then I looked at the ads and saw some that were worded just like your comment above. Still, like I said, I don't want anyone to get hurt or feel ripped off, so I figured I'd make sure I was being as open as I thought I was being.

On a related note, Single Power's website is now completely gone. Not that it ever had any useful information...

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #350 of 408
That's not nearly as scary as this AudioGon listing:

This one's a gem! No marks, scratches or blemishes, and you know how good these are. It has all the upgrades, as I have done every meaningful mod to make it the very best sounding headphone amp it can be. Simply put, you won't find a better one and you'll be elated with the sound and performance for years to come. It also has over a year left on the warranty transferable to you along with a wide assortment of tubes to personally tailor the sound. I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it anymore.

Here's what you get:

2 sets of SE inputs on back
High/Low voltage bias adjustment switch for 6bl7 and 6bx7 tubes
Upgraded Jensen audio cap for voltage regulation
Blackgate cathode caps
Blackgate output caps
Soniccraft platinum teflon coupling caps
Upgraded stepped attenuator
Upgraded power supply caps
Upgraded "SLAM" adapters
Auto bias
Upgraded large "SUPRA" transformer
ECC adapters for use with 7n7, 6414, 5687, 2c51/396a and other high gain tubes

Plus a wide assortment of tubes:

6 - 5687 tubes
14 - 6bl7 tubes
2 - 2c51 tungsol tubes
1 - 2c51 sylvania tube
2 - 12av7 tubes
1 - 6sn7 tube
2 - 7n7 tubes
2 - 6414 tubes (black)
1 - 6414 tube (gray)
1 - 5965 tube

Everything you need to enjoy for years to come and in pristine condition. All told, I have invested almost $4000 so you don't need to do anything except supply a nice set of headphones.
(Pics to come, having trouble with my camera downloading)
I am the 2nd owner - I bought from Audigon less than 2 months ago - son lost scholarship, so I am raising funds. This is the original listing - FYI - I have put less than 15 hours on it - he had about 150 hours on it. It has been checked - no issues at all - the transformer has been upgraded by previous owner - never ran hot for me.This one's a gem! No marks, scratches or blemishes, and you know how good these are. It has all the upgrades, as I have done every meaningful mod to make it the very best sounding headphone amp it can be. Simply put, you won't find a better one and you'll be elated with the sound and performance for years to come. It also has over a year left on the warranty transferable to you along with a wide assortment of tubes to personally tailor the sound. I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it anymore.Here's what you get:2 sets of SE inputs on backHigh/Low voltage bias adjustment switch for 6bl7 and 6bx7 tubesUpgraded Jensen audio cap for voltage regulationBlackgate cathode capsBlackgate output capsSoniccraft platinum teflon coupling capsUpgraded stepped attenuatorUpgraded power supply capsUpgraded "SLAM" adaptersAuto biasUpgraded large "SUPRA" transformerECC adapters for use with 7n7, 6414, 5687, 2c51/396a and other high gain tubesPlus a wide assortment of tubes:6 - 5687 tubes14 - 6bl7 tubes2 - 2c51 tungsol tubes1 - 2c51 sylvania tube2 - 12av7 tubes1 - 6sn7 tube2 - 7n7 tubes2 - 6414 tubes (black)1 - 6414 tube (gray)1 - 5965 tubeEverything you need to enjoy for years to come and in pristine condition. All told, I have invested almost $4000 so you don't need to do anything except supply a nice set of headphones.(Pics to come, having trouble with my camera downloading)Paypal adds 2.7%(Please only serious inquiries will be responded too).

---

The key points of interest
"High voltage option" puts 530V through 450V caps
Supra transformer is wired wrong
BlackGate never made caps over 350V, when amps fails, they see 530V.
Sonicap Platinum is 400V, same issue with 530V B+.
6BL7/6BX7 pull 3A heaters together, not sure what transformer is there to supply it - certainly not the one I had in mine.

I'm really curious what this line means "It has been checked - no issues at all - the transformer has been upgraded by previous owner - never ran hot for me". Checked for what? Fleas?

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #352 of 408
Quote:

BlackGate never made caps over 350V

BlackGate made 500V WV (550V surge) caps (WKZ series). Other than that, your correct. Amp sounds like a lot of fail to jump into... I wonder if it actually has the upgraded parts in it?

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #353 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BlackGate made 500V WV (550V surge) caps (WKZ series). Other than that, your correct. Amp sounds like a lot of fail to jump into... I wonder if it actually has the upgraded parts in it?

Ah yes, the WKz series had some dual-section 2x 100uF / 500V caps that are usable as headphone output. Unfortunately, they haven't been available for some time, cost a small fortune and judging from the fun I had fitting the 2x100uF/500V JJ caps in there, are a VERY tight fit.

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #354 of 408
I just bought that SinglePower MPX3off AudiogoN. I have used it for a few weeks.. I took the base off to have it run cooler with THREE 6BL7s in the top. The transformer case top (after five hours use) is pretty warm, but i can still keep my hand hard on it. The sides of the cases got just about as hot as I could stand keeping my hand hard on it with three 6BL7s in it after five hours use with the base still on. With the base off, the airflow really helps cooling. (the seller sent my about 20 6BL7s)
i probably will drill a bunch of holes in the aluminum base bottom at the 'cool' input end and a bunch at the top side of the transformer end for cooling with the base back on.
The inside of the MPX3 I bought is beautiful. All the wiring is well done, solder joints great, wiring great. no burning of any stuff.
i am VERY pleased with owning such a NOTORIOUS headphone amp which I a sure will give me plenty of stuff to chat about for years to come.
Thanks

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #355 of 408
And PLEASE, do not start in on "how dangerous.. you must have it checked... stuff.
I can read. And I have my own brain, and cann decide FOR MYSELF what "I" need, or don't need to do.
Just a head's up for the furious posts I am sure will flow my way.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #356 of 408
Well I just opened my SP Extreme.
frown.gif
and thanks to this forum I was not surprised when I saw what was waiting for me inside. A PPX3 Plus Rev A board that appears to be in good condition. I drilled out the PCB Board in 2 spots that appeared to be safe and was able to remove the transformer cover. The transformer looks like it is on its way to a melt down and will need to be replaced. One of the holes that I drilled was right up against the lead in the circuit board and I nicked the metal lead, I hope this is OK and am wondering what I should do to protect this area. I am a neophyte when it comes to electronics so I need to ask the wise ones hear on Head-Fi for any wisdom they can share. I would like to get my amp back up and running.
Below are links to photos of the inside of my amp. Please provide feedback that will help me to repair the amp.

Regards,

SP Extreme Board on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Inside #1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Inside #2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Bottom Right on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Bottom Left on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Top Left on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Top Right on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Holes to remove transformer Cover on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Transformer pic #1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Transformer pic # 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #357 of 408
That transformer is definitely cooked. No doubt. You will need to find someone who will replace the transformer and inspect the rest of the amp for issues. Lots of people have used Bolder, so you might see what his current backlog is like.

After having the ElectraPrint transformer installed on mine, along with some new resisters, I have had zero issues and been very happy with the restored amp. But these things almost all require fixing.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #358 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought that SinglePower MPX3off AudiogoN. I have used it for a few weeks.. I took the base off to have it run cooler with THREE 6BL7s in the top. The transformer case top (after five hours use) is pretty warm, but i can still keep my hand hard on it. The sides of the cases got just about as hot as I could stand keeping my hand hard on it with three 6BL7s in it after five hours use with the base still on. With the base off, the airflow really helps cooling. (the seller sent my about 20 6BL7s)
i probably will drill a bunch of holes in the aluminum base bottom at the 'cool' input end and a bunch at the top side of the transformer end for cooling with the base back on.
The inside of the MPX3 I bought is beautiful. All the wiring is well done, solder joints great, wiring great. no burning of any stuff.
i am VERY pleased with owning such a NOTORIOUS headphone amp which I a sure will give me plenty of stuff to chat about for years to come.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And PLEASE, do not start in on "how dangerous.. you must have it checked... stuff.
I can read. And I have my own brain, and cann decide FOR MYSELF what "I" need, or don't need to do.
Just a head's up for the furious posts I am sure will flow my way.

Really now... 3x 6BL7s... running 4.5A heaters combined... through 3A rated diodes and likely off a power transformer that has 3A 6.3A windings. Well, good luck with that.

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #360 of 408
Folks, keep it civil or there will be consequences. Fighting, bickering and name calling is of no help to people with damaged or dangerous goods and there's enough evidence at this point to suspect that most, if not all units require repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back