Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Mar 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #406 of 408
I am still, well "was" using my PPX3 I bought from another head-fier circa Aug-Sep 2004. I tried to search the thread for PPX and read many thoughtful posts by Dr. Gilmore, and still unsure if my unit would need extensive repairs for safe operation. Would I be wrong to assume most serious issues were with the Extreme and some of the higher end units SP sold? Come to think of it, having my unit repaired and upgraded by Boulder had been a plan for a while, I just never got around to do it. 

The last time I powered on the amp was about 2 years ago and it worked fine back then. Not entirely sure what upgrades it had as I've lost all my transaction PMs with the previous owner; I do know it doesn't have the slam upgrade/adapters, just the standard 6cg7 deal with two headphone outputs as an option.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #407 of 408
  I am still, well "was" using my PPX3 I bought from another head-fier circa Aug-Sep 2004. I tried to search the thread for PPX and read many thoughtful posts by Dr. Gilmore, and still unsure if my unit would need extensive repairs for safe operation. Would I be wrong to assume most serious issues were with the Extreme and some of the higher end units SP sold? Come to think of it, having my unit repaired and upgraded by Boulder had been a plan for a while, I just never got around to do it. 

The last time I powered on the amp was about 2 years ago and it worked fine back then. Not entirely sure what upgrades it had as I've lost all my transaction PMs with the previous owner; I do know it doesn't have the slam upgrade/adapters, just the standard 6cg7 deal with two headphone outputs as an option.

No way to know unless it's opened up and looked at by a tech who can service/repair/upgrade the amp. I listen to a PPX3 SLAM and an MPX3 each week, although not for long hours or days at a time. Seems like they were less susceptible, but not immune to problems. Earlier/simpler amps were for the most part properly spec'd and built, so a straight PPX3 "should be fine", but no guarantees here...

Wonder what happened to Augustwest? You get it fixed bro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back