warmish cables for k701
Apr 18, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 23
Read so many times k701 needs more than 300 hrs break in. Sometimes i want to give up on these phones but kept on telling myself - patience, patience . . .
No kidding but an old and abused akg240m borrowed from a friend is actually sounding much better than my new k701 (at least to my ears). I'm not expecting this but still a bit of a surprise anyway
icon10.gif

I only have less than 100 hrs on these phones well theres still much to wait
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the new Meier Arietta have that same warmness that the older Headfive had...or are they 2 different animals?

I don't know as I've never tried the Arietta (and likely never will since warm amps are not my type). Dr. Meier did claim the Arietta is an improved version of the Headfive so I suppose you can imagine the former will sound like an improved version of the latter.

Cheers!

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by botching /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read so many times k701 needs more than 300 hrs break in. Sometimes i want to give up on these phones but kept on telling myself - patience, patience . . .
No kidding but an old and abused akg240m borrowed from a friend is actually sounding much better than my new k701 (at least to my ears). I'm not expecting this but still a bit of a surprise anyway
icon10.gif

I only have less than 100 hrs on these phones well theres still much to wait
frown.gif

You do need an amp to realise the capability of the K701. Burn-in alone won't make them shine as they are still nonetheless being insufficiently driven.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

You do need an amp to realise the capability of the K701. Burn-in alone won't make them shine as they are still nonetheless being insufficiently driven.

Yes you're right I need a nicer amp. Already given up on the xcanver2 and returned it to the dealer. Xcan ver2 is warmer than ver3 but still sounds bright with the k701 to me. I'll fully burn the k701 then listen to it again later.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by botching /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes you're right I need a nicer amp. Already given up on the xcanver2 and returned it to the dealer. Xcan ver2 is warmer than ver3 but still sounds bright with the k701 to me. I'll fully burn the k701 then listen to it again later.

A Senn may also work in your favour.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #22 of 23
I think my K701's sound lovely out of my Darkvoice 332. =T Should be even better when I get some new tubes.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne, which other amps did you try with the 701s? could you describe your findings with them. thanks

to the OP, others have reported good results with some of the chinese tube amps such as doge, bada, and little dot.

My personal experience has been with MusicFidelity V2 (PinkFloyd modded),
JanMeier's H5, Headroom Microamp, and Headroom Total Airhead. I had the V2
on loan for a couple of weeks and liked it very much. It was warm and fun but for me, it lacked the necessary current to really run the 701s to their best. The H5 (which I traded for Zumobius cables for my 650s---worked out great) was a bit on the thin side for me and, while a well made amp and my pleasure to support Jan and all he does for us here, it was pale next to the Heed. The Microamp was better with the 701s and teamed up very well with my Microdac.It was a tough call to let that part of the Microstack go, but again it was a current/power issue. I find that the Microdac/Heed really allows the source to rise or fall on its own merits. It is not an amp issue. What I did do that really helped warm up this group was a cable upgrade from Drew at Moonaudio. He did a beautiful job and it added clarity and a much fuller bottom end. Some snicker at cable upgrades, and it should not be first in the food chain, but once you are looking for that warmth and lucid upper registers, I found it money very well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back