Warm/bassy phones with Etymotic-level isolation?
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

shackattack

New Head-Fier
Folks,

I loved my etymotic er-6i's riding the trains in Tokyo, but I always found the sound a little clinical and occasionally sibilant. Are there any headphones that offer a warmer sound (like Shure, Nuforce, or cans) but with equal isolation? I'm looking in the $100 range, including any aftermarket sleeves.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 22
Personally I haven't head anything that sounds that real... Maybe try an EQ to boost the bass?

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 22
Phonak Audio bass series IEMs, Eterna, HJE900, FX500, RE_ZERO and MC5.......

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 22
Hmm. None of those have triple flange sleeves- why do they isolate similar to Ety's?

I've seen triple flange sleeves from Monster and Shure. Are they all mostly the same? Can I just pick any IEM, add triple flanges, and expect similar isolation?

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Klipsch X10 with the dual flange gels. These isolate dangerously well (like your in a bubble)
Ive only had the X5s which I believe aint as warm as the x10s, but the isolation should be the same as the X10 which was excellent. Noticeably more than any other IEM I have owned.

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Hmm. None of those have triple flange sleeves- why do they isolate similar to Ety's?

I've seen triple flange sleeves from Monster and Shure. Are they all mostly the same? Can I just pick any IEM, add triple flanges, and expect similar isolation?

No. It is not only the triple flanges but the way the earphone is built that determines the isolation. You can't just pick any earphone, put triple flanges and expect the same isolation. Etymotic has the best isolation I've heard in a universal and none have matched it even with triple flanged tips.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 22
Agreed. To get that kind of isolation you need very deep insertion. Something narrow like the jays q-jays or meelectronics m11+ may come closer, but won't match. But take a well isolating IEM and throw on comply tips and you should have comparable isolation. Just realize that using comply tips is a bit like paying rent on your phones, and will get expensive over time.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 22
Agree with Rawster, but the one factor that hasn't been mentioned is whether the IEM housing is open or closed.  Nearly all dynamic IEMs have some port or small opening that helps with the air movement, but hurts the isolation.  Etymotics are BA drivers which don't depend on movement of air to produce their sound, and the Ety housings are completely sealed (same with many custom monitors).  I have Shure Olives on my HF5 (for comfort mainly), and I get 90-95% of the isolation I get with the triple-flanges, which is still nearly complete once music is going.  

TBH, I can't remember if the MC5 is ported or not, since it is a dynamic driver, not a BA.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 22
another nod to atrio m5
they could be had for 100 ish in used condition (there was a pair not too long ago under the sale section)
i used to have them, warm and very bassy sound, bass as their strong point
isolation is very good because they have no vents and have a thin tube ala armature iem's = deeper insertion (u can use triflange)

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

TBH, I can't remember if the MC5 is ported or not, since it is a dynamic driver, not a BA.

I can confirm that there is no port on the housing of the Mc5. How would one go about testing the interconnect though. It is not bonded to the cable, and may not be sealed. Perhaps Etymotic solved the problem of using ports with their dampening and acoustic shaping?
AccuChamber_large.jpg

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 22
Seconded the Klipsch X10 recommendation, although you have to top up around 90 more. Warm and bassy mid with good build quality. If you willing to top up 200 more you can get Monster MD which offers the same level of isolation as the X10, but slightly warmer and bassier. I own both the X10 and MD, they are extremely comfortable and worth getting for everyday portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back