Want new IEMS, thinking Westone 4
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am after new IEMs (I thought of buying a new source at first).

Currently I am using Triple Fi 10s w/custom Audio Null cables,
I am wanting a more fuller soundstage and a `wow` effect of further forward everything.

Will be using with a iPod touch 4G. LOD. Portable amp.

Music, rock, alt rock, female vocals.

From what I have read so far the Westone 4 seems a great choice.
I am after a top tier IEM.

Any other opinions?

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 25
I did not like the Westone 4 as much as I enjoyed the Westone 3. I thought the bass impact and energy of the Westone 4 was lacking, though many find the Westone 4 a great sounding IEM. I think technically the Westone 4 is great, but it lacks some sort of fun factor in its sound signature.

I would recommend the Westone 3, Sony EX-1000 or EX-600, EarSonics SM3 (some of the best mids I've heard on a universal), or if you don't mind customs, the JH5.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 25
The Sony EX1000 are very close to above requirements(WOW factor) and work well with these genres music(it also offers wider deeper soundstage with little bright soundsignature).

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 25
Tried the Westone 4 inshore tonight, nice phones, they had long comply tips, was worried about the fit with Monster silicon tips.

Also tried the Sony Ex-1000, great sound, clear but the build seems flimsy.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 25
The W4 is a fine IEM. My favorite BA universal. But I find the EX1000 has better transparency and greater midrange detail. Not to mention the best bass I've heard in a universal. Also it pairs wonderfully with ZO.

I havent had any issues with build quality. The housing is a heavy duty metal and cables are replaceable. Seems very sturdy. Styling can look great or awkward depending on your preference.
I also think build quality of the W4 is good and like the understated styling. Though not removable, I love the W4 cable.

I think the EX1000 is technically better but can see someone else preferring the W4.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 25
My first and foremost recommendation, GR07. Can't see how you could possibly go wrong. Exceptional price:performance ratio, with SQ that easily rivals that of top-tiers at least twice their cost. Needless to say, all of the aforementioned suggestions are well worth a listen, but so too is the GR07. All the best my friend! 
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 25
I've got the Westone 4 coming tomorrow, and also ordered the GR07. I can give you my impressions when they both arrive if you'd like.

Oh, also ordered the Audeo PFE, and am going to audition the Triple Fi 10 for a few weeks. Still debating on whether to get the Westone 2 as well or not...

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 25
Thanks Katun. I would appreciate that very much. 

*On another note I am enjoying the monster silicon super tips with my Triple Fis, would they also fit on the Westone 4?

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
I've got the Westone 4 coming tomorrow, and also ordered the GR07. I can give you my impressions when they both arrive if you'd like.

Oh, also ordered the Audeo PFE, and am going to audition the Triple Fi 10 for a few weeks. Still debating on whether to get the Westone 2 as well or not...

I'm looking forward to your impressions as well my friend. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back