Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
May 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,911 of 3,631
I just opened the v2 and twisted the blinking LED light until it died and blinked no more (while Walnut was off),

I notice the two LED legs attached to the PCB still touching each other inside. Will that cause any problems? (A short or something?)

The Walnut v2 sounds better without a blinking light! I think you should just put a piece of electrical tape over the hole, it's much easier...

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,913 of 3,631
The Walnut v2 sounds better without a blinking light! I think you should just put a piece of electrical tape over the hole, it's much easier...

Not sure if you are joking but:
I noticed a lot of extraneous noise while messing with various tweaks and big caps, the led would pulse noise through the signal quite heavily at times, but I was messing about greatly.
It does not surprise me that is the case with it sounding better. Thanks for the reminder about that.

Still really liking the soldered on opamp version. Just clean sound.
If the next variant brings the same PCB tweaks to the table and can replicate the clean sound I get here it'll be a winner.
As it is I'll wait and let someone else do that dirty work of testing.
Should only take a day or so and someone will show up with results :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,914 of 3,631
I noticed a lot of extraneous noise while messing with various tweaks and big caps, the led would pulse noise through the signal quite heavily at times, but I was messing about greatly.
It does not surprise me that is the case with it sounding better. Thanks for the reminder about that.

Still really liking the soldered on opamp version. Just clean sound.
If the next variant brings the same PCB tweaks to the table and can replicate the clean sound I get here it'll be a winner.
As it is I'll wait and let someone else do that dirty work of testing.
Should only take a day or so and someone will show up with results :)

So bigger caps=more noise?

When replacing caps, I know you can replace a 10v 470uf cap with a 16v470uf caps. How about replacing a 10v 470uf caps with a 16v 1000uf caps? Is that possible?

May 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #2,915 of 3,631

The smell of alcohol is coming through the small hole where the small blinking LED used to be. Is this normal, to you? It's weird. I wish I never twisted the little LED off now... I guess I will put electrical tape over it, but what if something worse happens now...?

PS: It only sounds better in spirit because I no longer have to look at the blinking LED...

May 13, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,916 of 3,631
P70513-153046.jpg
Haha the led still blinks even though I covered with black tape :) But it is sexy as hell now

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,918 of 3,631
S70513-15550354.jpg Looking at the specs of V2s now on penonaudio.com there is no EQ off option?

May 13, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,920 of 3,631

Haha the led still blinks even though I covered with black tape :) But it is sexy as hell now

I just removed the series resistor, so LED is currently Off.
Heading out in a few minutes to buy a package of various SMT resistors, and then try a few, to find one that allows the LED to blink dimly.
Then I'll do the same mod to my Z1. :)

May 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #2,921 of 3,631
I found out Zishan has released a new firmware for Z1 player. It supports three new playback modes.
The original files are here:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jI5KD8a#list/path=/ZiShan Player 固件/Z1&parentPath=/ZiShan Player 固件
Or you can download a zip file from my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4abdwkt86kbtjld/Zishan Z1.zip?dl=0

The update is simple. All you need is the ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip and a TF card. I used a 32GB TF card in FAT32 format.
1) Turn off Z1 player;
2) Extract app.bin from ZiShan_Z1_0.2.zip, and put it in the root directory of the TF card;
3) Insert the TF card into the player;
4) Turn on the Z1 player. The LED light will be on for 3 seconds and then blink ultra-fast for around 5 seconds. (Done).
5) Remove the file app.bin in the card.

What's new in v0.2:
1) Add 180 EQ settings. (What...it's a screen-less player.)
2) Add 3 playback modes: Repeat, Shuffle and Default. (Very useful for me.)
3) Fix a DSD problem.

How to choose playback modes:
Press 'Prev' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose Repeat track mode.
b) Press 'Stop' to choose Shuffle all tracks mode.
c) Press 'Next' to choose Default play mode. It plays in alphabetical order, I think.

How to set EQs:
Press 'Stop' for a few seconds until the LED light blinks faster than normal, then release. And you are in EQ settings mode:
a) Press 'Prev' to choose previous EQ.
b) Press 'Next' to choose next EQ.
c) Press 'Stop' to choose current EQ.
d) Press 'Prev' for a few seconds to disable EQ.
Total 180 EQs.

How to reset the player:
1) Turn off the player;
2) Press 'Prev' and hold, turn on the player. If the LED light blinks fast, it means the player is reset to factory status.
3) Turn off and on the player again.

I wonder if we can apply this firmware on Walnut too. Has anyone tried?

May 13, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,922 of 3,631
May 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,923 of 3,631
May 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,925 of 3,631
No one mentioned any comments about my Walnut smelling like alcohol... I guess I'll sell it then. The smell even comes through the small holes where the buttons are (if you stick your nose there).

I'll drain the battery and charge it with a fire extinguisher nearby and if everything is okay, I'll sell it somewhere to some lucky person for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back