Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
May 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,926 of 3,631
I just removed the series resistor, so LED is currently Off.
Heading out in a few minutes to buy a package of various SMT resistors, and then try a few, to find one that allows the LED to blink dimly.

I wish I was a Mr. Fixit like that... I guess I'll just sell mine without LED since it smells like alcohol now (you can only tell if you stick your nose into the hole). I tried to be Mr. Fixit and failed. Lol.

May 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,927 of 3,631
I wish I was a Mr. Fixit like that... I guess I'll just sell mine without LED since it smells like alcohol now (you can only tell if you stick your nose into the hole). I tried to be Mr. Fixit and failed. Lol.

Let me know if it is the battery, and if so I can send you a spare I have here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,928 of 3,631
I just removed the series resistor, so LED is currently Off.
Heading out in a few minutes to buy a package of various SMT resistors, and then try a few, to find one that allows the LED to blink dimly.
Then I'll do the same mod to my Z1. :)

Well, it turns out that neither the local Fry's Electronics, nor EPO (Electronics & Parts Outlet), stock Surface Mount Resistors - so I'll have to order some online.

May 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,929 of 3,631
what about an easier to find small metal film. I guess though smaller the better.

LaughMoreDaily, I would check to be sure the old led legs are not touching ( did you say they were still?) so it is equivalent to having simply removed that resistor. otherwise it'll be sending needless charge through that and if the legs are sparking a bit due to insufficient contact between them...., just a thought.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #2,932 of 3,631
I decided to throw caution into the wind and try the Z1 Firmware on the Walnut V2. I have the second edition two usb port/soldered opamp version.

Nothing happened.

I followed the Z1 instructions -- put the firmware file on the root of a FAT32 formatted MicroSD Card. Crickets.

So rest easy. We have our answer.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,933 of 3,631
I decided to throw caution into the wind and try the Z1 Firmware on the Walnut V2. I have two second edition two usb port/soldered opamp version.

Nothing happened.

I followed the Z1 instructions -- put the firmware file on the root of a FAT32 formatted MicroSD Card. Crickets.

So rest easy. We have our answer.

Thank you for trying and confirming

Z1 has a processor plus dedicated DAC and walnut has SoC, so it is logical the fw is not compatible

May 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,936 of 3,631
LaughMoreDaily, I would check to be sure the old led legs are not touching ( did you say they were still?) so it is equivalent to having simply removed that resistor. otherwise it'll be sending needless charge through that and if the legs are sparking a bit due to insufficient contact between them...., just a thought.

The legs are no longer touching... there is some kind of liquid inside my v2 and it might be the cause of the alcohol smell.

May 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,937 of 3,631
oooh thats got to be a battery, unless you spilled some booze in there, maybe the flask leaked into it :p
offer still stands on freebie battery replacement.

May 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,938 of 3,631
oooh thats got to be a battery, unless you spilled some booze in there, maybe the flask leaked into it :p
offer still stands on freebie battery replacement.

So something has been wrong with my v2 all along? All I did was open it and I noticed a liquid splashed around. But then I went and twisted the blinking LED off and then I started smelling alcohol, so maybe by twisting the LED, I damaging the whole device and it started shorting out?

Is this device worth charging now, will things... explode? (the battery)

May 15, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,939 of 3,631
don't think it will explode, could make very nasty and toxic smoke at worse with a little fire. Perhaps you should go recplace the battery. I too have a well being battery from dead walnut I have no use but Im in europe. shipping is expensive.

May 15, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2,940 of 3,631
Yeah do not get any of that on your hands or carpet or clothes etc etc.
A zero residue contact cleaner spray might help get rid of the residue, but outside application of course.

Probably nothing to do with twisting that off, worst case it'd only tear maybe a couple traces there, but if you don't need the traces no worries.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back