Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
May 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #2,944 of 3,631
May 16, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,945 of 3,631
Interesting overview of the MP3 format, and the newer replacements - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/16/mp3_dies_nobody_noticed/

Some things are better off dead.

rip.png

May 16, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,946 of 3,631
Spent this evening disassembling my Walnut v2 - removed the Volume pot, the Opamp socket, and the Yellow LED.

Tomorrow, I will probably remove the through-hole Capacitors.

Then I'll be installing upgrades / replacements. I've already got the Volume pot, a Machined-pin DIP-8 socket, some Machined-pin socket strips, and a Blue LED.

Will be ordering a SMT Resistor variety pack from eBay (8,500 SMT Resistors for $17.90), and possibly some better Capacitors.

May 17, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,947 of 3,631
Spent this evening disassembling my Walnut v2 - removed the Volume pot, the Opamp socket, and the Yellow LED.

Then I'll be installing upgrades / replacements. I've already got the Volume pot, a Machined-pin DIP-8 socket, some Machined-pin socket strips, and a Blue LED.

Will be ordering a SMT Resistor variety pack from eBay (8,500 SMT Resistors for $17.90), and possibly some better Capacitors.
I'm curious about your re-do. Instead of stripping the board, wouldn't you rather do it piecemail so that you can observe what each component replacement does?

May 17, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #2,948 of 3,631
The only items that are currently being replaced, are the Volume pot, and the LED. The sockets are being installed, so that it's easier to replace the Opamp and Capacitors, in the future.

May 17, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,949 of 3,631
After I had trouble replacing the smaller capacitors it got me thinking. I can't be bothered messing around this much with a solder iron these days, time to throw money at the problem. So I managed to convince the Walnut creator to make a batch of walnuts without any capacitors installed
evil_smiley.gif

Now it's going to be dead easy to install caps through open hole pcb, even complete noobs could install caps easily now.

The walnut creator needed convincing, he didn't want to do it, but somehow he agreed after some back and forth, mainly because of my slick English to Chinese google translate sweet talking skills
cool.gif

Order minimum is 20. It's going to be more more pricey than stock walnut due to the custom batch production, but it's actually worth the huge reduction in modification hassle to me.

So if anyone want's a mod ready walnut in the future, let me know in a couple weeks, not sure on the final price to your door yet, I'm hoping around $35 delivered to anyone who wants one. If no one wants one I'll modify all 20 myself
very_evil_smiley.gif

I realize it's been 5-months, but did you use, or sell, all of the custom boards - or do you have any more available? :ksc75smile:

May 17, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,950 of 3,631

what is the purpose of replacing the POT and the opamp sockets?

May 17, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #2,951 of 3,631
what is the purpose of replacing the POT and the opamp sockets?

Using machined-pin sockets, which are higher quality than the stock socket.

Also using what I think is a higher quality potentiometer.
Really wanted to use a conductive plastic pot, but the one I found, so far, is physically larger than the stock pot - so it won't align with the hole in the case.
I'll keep looking.

May 17, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,952 of 3,631
Using machined-pin sockets, which are higher quality than the stock socket.

Also using what I think is a higher quality potentiometer.
Really wanted to use a conductive plastic pot, but the one I found, so far, is physically larger than the stock pot - so it won't align with the hole in the case.
I'll keep looking.

Higher quality in terms of sound quality or in terms of non-SQ qualities?

May 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,954 of 3,631
I prefer to leave the stock pot as I think it sounds fatter(better) and changing the Dip socket is an audible improvement. I did the swap and kept everything stock and compared to an untouched Walnut and the sound was more detailed.
Could you please link your new dip socket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back