Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #106 of 228
Well this is a major disappointment :frowning2:

Quote:

Today we are very happy to let you know that we have partnered with music legend Quincy Jones on the release of three stunning new headphones: the Q701, Q460 and Q350. Visit our just launched interactive experience to view the headphones and stay tuned for a link to view the live news conference here in Berlin, Germany.

http://www.akg.com/personal/,pcp_id,278,_psmand,1.html?quincy#/the-line

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #108 of 228
The AKG site is pretty much at a stand-still, but from what I can see, it looks like they've sealed their position as the kings of re-branding. Should have seen the Quincy Jones re-brands coming considering we've seen pictures of him wearing the Q701.
Have they even developed any new drivers in the last 5-10 years? Not sure when the K701 was released, but it must be about then.

At least people will stop complaining about the toilet-bowl white; the Q701 is available in black too.

[edit]Here are some screenshots someone took, for those that can't get to the site: http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php/topic,50263.0.html

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #109 of 228
That's it, I've lost all hope in living. Mass suicide next Tuesday, I'm sure some of you will be joining. Seriously though I'm deeply dissapointed that they are going the dr dre route instead of route of innovation that they previously known for. Oh well, guess there are still sextetts and k340's to be tried and a k1000 to be saved for. Though Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic might better appreciate my business.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #110 of 228
really dissapointed...akg is going to keep taking the same headphone, tweaking it a bit, and then releasing..no driver development, no real innovation anymore

*sigh*..If this is the direction high-end audio is going... by the time I'm middle aged I'll be wearing Justin Bieber Premium Class® Headphones

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #111 of 228
WOW. weaksauce. I'm not sure if AKG realizes this, but (at least in my eyes, and I'm sure other people would agree) they probably would have been better off doing nothing than releasing yet another slightly different looking K701....

Total downer.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #113 of 228
Amen to that. Whereas buying headphones from the likes of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic may contribute to new headphone developments, AKG just pockets all of the money, hunts sponsorship and endorsement, and then releases the same product with a name added so they can fetch more money for it. They even build all of their headphones in China now, pulling even more money whilst delivering a product with less quality assurance. Harman was the worst thing to ever happen to them, because now they just run for business with no regards to innovation.

Quote:
That's it, I've lost all hope in living. Mass suicide next Tuesday, I'm sure some of you will be joining. Seriously though I'm deeply dissapointed that they are going the dr dre route instead of route of innovation that they previously known for. Oh well, guess there are still sextetts and k340's to be tried and a k1000 to be saved for. Though Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic might better appreciate my business.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #114 of 228
The fluorescent green model looks cool at least :D

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #117 of 228
That's too bad. Wishing for the K801 with no bumps.

For K701 owners, an upgrade won't happen.

For non K701 owners, an upgrade might happen... to the K701.

$479? Really? I guess the "Q" is worth that much more.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #119 of 228
zzzzzz if they're straight rebadges with no sonic improvement.
from what we know so far, they look to be a pretty big disappointment.

Quote:
Amen to that. Whereas buying headphones from the likes of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic may contribute to new headphone developments, AKG just pockets all of the money, hunts sponsorship and endorsement, and then releases the same product with a name added so they can fetch more money for it. They even build all of their headphones in China now, pulling even more money whilst delivering a product with less quality assurance. Harman was the worst thing to ever happen to them, because now they just run for business with no regards to innovation.

They build K701/702's in China now? I find that highly unlikely. And Sennheiser's lower end models are built in china as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back