Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #76 of 228

Quote:

Opinions are one thing, but I think what most people don't appreciate are comments that trash a particular product with vague or generalized comments.  Here is an example:

- I think that the HD650 has a weaker and less detailed high-end than the K701's.  (OK, cool that's a respectful opinion)

- I think that the K701's have a weaker and less detailed high-end than the HD650's. (an opposite opinion, but a good subjective opinion nonetheless)

- The best thing to do is either buy both, or listen to them both and see which you like the best of the two.  (good opinion, the happy median)

- Anyone that buys a K701 is wasting their money.  Everyone knows that the HD650's are the best.  (an opinion yes, but one that is not helpful or conducive to ones wanting to make a purchase).  I hope comments like these are not the reason why this forum exists.  I'd rather watch Jerry Springer if that's the case.

A Hi-Fi edition of Jerry Springer would possibly be the greatest thing in the world.

Unfortunately, this being the internet and all, we have thousands of people who post on these forums and like people real life, some can become easily irritated, belligerent, rude or just start throwing feces... Like anything else in the world that involves debate.

There is an ignore list for those who can't stand particular posters and that would be you best defense against comments that tickle you the wrong way.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #77 of 228

Quote:
fingers crossed for CES 2011

Yeah, we can always hope for CES 2011!
As in April 2009 I got this reply from the AKG Hotline when asking for a possible K1000 revival or successor...

Quote:
Dear Mr. xx,

Thank you for contacting AKG and for your friendly words about our K 1000.
We plan to launch a successor of the K 701 in foreseeable time, possibly CES

Kind regards

Horst Werner
AKG hotline
hotline@akg.com

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #79 of 228
Hey guys, it turns out that there is-or at least there was-an AKG K 2000 already, I was so surprised by this.

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,659,pid,659,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #80 of 228
Yeah, so obviously that name is taken.
How about K3000? Or K1001 (nights)?
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #83 of 228
I'd be happy if they just released a slightly fuller sounding version of the K701. The more I compare stuff the more I realize some songs don't sound right because the K701 is so ridiculously detailed. The same deep piano chord that sounds normal on most speakers/headphones you can hear every little bit of the treble from the vibration of the piano strings and the resonances within the piano. Makes instruments sound very real! IMO anyways....

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #84 of 228

Quote:
I don't care about the name as long as AKG returns to another earspeaker type of headphone.

The K1000 wasn't a big hit towards the end of it's production run. They had some difficulty moving the remaining stock around $650ish range. I don't think that lesson is lost on AKG. Considering the current economic state and AKG's somewhat conservative management, I wouldn't hold out for an expensive out-of-the-mainstream offering anytime soon. As much as I like the K1000 and won't sell my set, I wouldn't want one for my only phone. They are great niche phones and an extremely interesting technological acheivement, but there are some warts that get forgotten sometimes. There aren't many headphone nuts in the world that will buy and hold a $1000 phone just for certain moods and songs.   

It would be nice if AKG would go out of mainstream design again. For years they had an extremely innovative "skunkworks" to produce the likes of the K340 and the K1000. Don't know if they have that anymore or if it wouldn't be an economic boondogle if they did.  

I'm sure AKG can/will continue to sell good numbers of K70x phones for years to come. Just not to me. Different strokes and all that.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #85 of 228

Quote:
I'd be happy if they just released a slightly fuller sounding version of the K701. The more I compare stuff the more I realize some songs don't sound right because the K701 is so ridiculously detailed. The same deep piano chord that sounds normal on most speakers/headphones you can hear every little bit of the treble from the vibration of the piano strings and the resonances within the piano. Makes instruments sound very real! IMO anyways....

I have always loved the K-702 with piano!
k701smile.gif

Quote:
The K1000 wasn't a big hit towards the end of it's production run. They had some difficulty moving the remaining stock around $650ish range. I don't think that lesson is lost on AKG. Considering the current economic state and AKG's somewhat conservative management, I wouldn't hold out for an expensive out-of-the-mainstream offering anytime soon. As much as I like the K1000 and won't sell my set, I wouldn't want one for my only phone. They are great niche phones and an extremely interesting technological acheivement, but there are some warts that get forgotten sometimes. There aren't many headphone nuts in the world that will buy and hold a $1000 phone just for certain moods and songs.   

It would be nice if AKG would go out of mainstream design again. For years they had an extremely innovative "skunkworks" to produce the likes of the K340 and the K1000. Don't know if they have that anymore or if it wouldn't be an economic boondogle if they did.  

I'm sure AKG can/will continue to sell good numbers of K70x phones for years to come. Just not to me. Different strokes and all that.

There is some truth to that famous statement by Acix that people who bought the HD800/T1 do not know what they are hearing. Seriously! My recent experience with the Beyer Tesla 1 shows it to be a different, but not superior design to the K-702.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #86 of 228
     Quote:
AKG
BIG NEWS!! The AKG team is in Berlin, Germany this week at IFA, the European Consumer Electronics Show and we'll be making a big announcement. As our Facebook friends you'll be the first to know! Stay tuned for more from IFA!!​

From AKG's Facebook profile. We should all cross our fingers for an announcement of a new 'flagship' headphone.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #87 of 228

Quote:

I have always loved the K-702 with piano!
k701smile.gif

There is some truth to that famous statement by Acix that people who bought the HD800/T1 do not know what they are hearing. Seriously! My recent experience with the Beyer Tesla 1 shows it to be a different, but not superior design to the K-702.

I know what I am hearing and the T1 when properly amped with tubes or a good SS absolutely stomped and made my 701 look like a toy.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #88 of 228

Quote:

I know what I am hearing and the T1 when properly amped with tubes or a good SS absolutely stomped and made my 701 look like a toy.

As much as I enjoyed my K701s, but listening to some Pink Floyd last night with my Concerto, I would have to completely agree with you Frank.

Good news though about the AKG announcement...hopefully it's more than the K702 with 10 bumps on the headband.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #89 of 228

From AKG's Facebook profile. We should all cross our fingers for an announcement of a new 'flagship' headphone.

Hmmm, this is interesting.
Hopefully they release something really great, and not "just" another K70x....

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #90 of 228

Quote:

I would imagine the the state of the economy and the success of the 701s/2s has AKG feeling no need to come out with another statement product.  Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back