Wadia 121 decoding computer
May 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 116
+1
I can't stand these damn led lights.
Had to put my bedroom tv on a remote control power strip to turn off the obnoxious Samsung blue circle.
Then I put painters tape over the blue dot on my Rsa raptor and an elastic hair band around volume control to hide that led.
Awesome point on the vintage gear, their ambient light was pleasing to look at and glowed like a candle.
Someone start a petition and I'll sign it twice.

I'm sorry, but I lol'ed when I read the unorthodox measure you have taken to solve this problem. There's this really cool stuff I use that totally eliminates all those annoying LEDs, it's called electrical tape :) Just cut it nicely to fit or it will look like crap. You can hardly notice it's there and no one else certainly notices either. Enjoy!

May 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #47 of 116
Still decide between Wadia 121 and Mytek 192DSD

Both great company making great DACs, and both uses similar chips. (XMOS/Sabre inside)

Anyone has heard or compare both DACs?:p

Thanks!

Pal

May 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #49 of 116
Enjoying the DAC so far. Definite improvement over the MF M1 DAC A. But one dumb question. Is there a way to turn this thing off without unplugging it? Couldn't find anything in the manual. 
confused.gif

May 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #50 of 116
Wadia said:
 Should I leave the Wadia 121 Decoding Computer with the power on?

The Wadia 121Decoding Computer is designed to be left with the power on with no harm or wear to the unit.
While the power light is always illuminated, the volume and input sections of the front display can be minimized by pushing the display command on the remote control.
Leaving the power on allows the circuitry to remain thermally stable, which provides better performance and longer life.
Careful listeners will notice that the sound of the Wadia 121Decoding Computer will improve steadily after the unit is powered-up.
A new unit will undergo more dramatic changes when power is applied for the first time.
If you turn off your Wadia 121Decoding Computer for more than an hour, you will find that the unit will undergo a similar, but less dramatic improvement once power is reapplied.

I saw on 121's manual, it's no need to power-off.

May 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #51 of 116
Quote:
Quote:
Wadia said:
Should I leave the Wadia 121 Decoding Computer with the power on?
The Wadia 121Decoding Computer is designed to be left with the power on with no harm or wear to the unit.
While the power light is always illuminated, the volume and input sections of the front display can be minimized by pushing the display command on the remote control.
Leaving the power on allows the circuitry to remain thermally stable, which provides better performance and longer life.
Careful listeners will notice that the sound of the Wadia 121Decoding Computer will improve steadily after the unit is powered-up.
A new unit will undergo more dramatic changes when power is applied for the first time.
If you turn off your Wadia 121Decoding Computer for more than an hour, you will find that the unit will undergo a similar, but less dramatic improvement once power is reapplied.

I saw on 121's manual, it's no need to power-off.

Right, but what if I want to save a little bit of electricity? I know it wouldn't save much, but it's just the idea, haha.

May 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #52 of 116
Potential issue with my Wadia 121. The headphone jack is a bit noisy. Even when the volume is at zero. It's not really noticeable when I am using my HA5000 amp at normal levels. But if I turn my amp all the way up I can hear that same noise that I hear from the Wadia 121 headphone jack. 

I should note that this is ONLY when the input is set to USB. And it does not matter if I even have a USB cable plugged in to the DAC. The same sound is there. So it is not my cable or my laptop. I have been in contact with Drew from Moon-Audio, and I am sure he will help me out. He has been great thus far. :)

If things do not work out with the Wadia I will likely spring for the NAD M51 that I was also considering.

May 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #54 of 116
Quote:
Hi ZenErik,
The manual say can switch low and high sensitivity for HP output jack via remote, may you try that?
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Yes. I've read the manual. There is noise either way. It is lessened if I switch it to "high impedance". But the funny thing is that ALL OF MY HEADPHONES ARE VERY LOW IMPEDANCE. 
tongue.gif
 A-T headphones are low impedance. My Shure SE535 is low impedance. My cheap Sennheiser over ears are low impedance. But the Shure and A-T headphones are also high sensitivity, for what it is worth.

I am examining other options at the moment if it turns out that this is a common issue with the Wadia 121. NAD M51 like I mentioned as well as the Grace m903, Fostex HP-A8C, and maybe a few others.

May 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #56 of 116
Quote:
Hi ZenErik,
Thanks for your reply! Hope Wadia can solve the USB noise problem soon.

Me too. It certainly is an excellent sounding DAC otherwise! Honestly, I will never turn up the volume loud enough to hear the noise on my HA5000 while I am actually listening to music, and I will probably never use the Wadia 121 headphone jack either. Still, this problem still should not be present on a $1300 DAC. 
frown.gif

May 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #57 of 116
Afternoon guys, pretty new here so just hoping to contribute to the community (plus raise my post count, pss dont tell anyone). Heard this cute little DAC/Intergrated recently powering a pair of Mini Maggie planar magnetic speakers. One word, Brilliant for the money. Detail in spades, good dynamics despite the low 50 watts. Amazing soundstage extending past the back wall (I think this is probably more the speakers than the Wadia though). One weakness, a sense of bass roll off past the 70-80hz mark. Secondly, very poor soundstage height (probably the speakers again)

May 31, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #58 of 116
Quote:
Enjoying the DAC so far. Definite improvement over the MF M1 DAC A. But one dumb question. Is there a way to turn this thing off without unplugging it? Couldn't find anything in the manual. 
confused.gif

Most if not all Wadia products are desing to stay on all the time. They do not have a switch in the faceplate. Some have a switch in the back next to the IEC but it is not design to be use it frequently.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 31, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #59 of 116
Quote:
Most if not all Wadia products are desing to stay on all the time. They do not have a switch in the faceplate. Some have a switch in the back next to the IEC but it is not design to be use it frequently.

Great. Now if only they'd design the USB to not be noisy. :D

Still waiting to hear from Moon Audio. Should be soon.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #60 of 116
Quote:
Great. Now if only they'd design the USB to not be noisy. :D

Still waiting to hear from Moon Audio. Should be soon.

USB noise is usually lack of galvanic isolation, and is actually noisy voltage coming from the computer.  One solution that works really well is to put a wall-powered USB hub between the computer and the DAC.  I'm using this for a NuForce Icon (with a Mac Mini) and the background noise goes from almost unlistenable to dead silent.

(My particular hub is a Belkin 8-port that I got for less than $20.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back