Wadia 121 decoding computer
Apr 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 116
Ordered mine from TTVJ...can't wait to hear it.  I've got the Wadia 151 Power DAC, and for a small footprint combo amp/DAC, it does a very nice job.  I was frankly surprised at how well it does. 

I will be very interested to see how this small footprint DAC does in comparison to my tricked out (Wadia P upgrade and GNSC mods) Wadia 830, and will report back as soon as it arrives (hopefully sometime next week).  I have a thought that the power supply will be something of a limiting factor for this small footprint component...I mean, you can only put SO MUCH torroid AND DAC in that small box.  Maybe it as an external supply?  Anyone who has one already care to chime in?

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 116

Quote:
I have the Wadia 121 DAC breaking in at home now and will let you know what I think of it in the near future. I will say that first initial hearing is mixed as I heard a a wide, but not very deep sound stage. Dynamics were also some what on the short side.

Yes, Congrats!

Let us know what your findings are...I'm still holding out hope on this particular offering from famed Wadia. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 116
OK, I JUST got mine, so no burn in or anything.  I'm listening via the USB interface at work right now with my Beyerdynamic DT-770s out of the single ended headphone amp that comes with.

Well, so far...color me VERY impressed. 
beyersmile.png

The integrated headphone amp has power to spare to drive my 600 ohm Beyers, with nice bass presence.  It's a tiny bit bright at the moment, but that's also at least in part the headphones, I'm sure.  Later on I'll listen via the balanced outs with my RSA SR-71B.

Right now I'm listening to Chris Isaak's "Blue Spanish Sky", which is one of my test tracks for soundstaging and fullness of presentation.  Very nice....I like it!  I'm getting a nice feel for the space in the room (or in Chris' hollow body and acoustic guitars), nice, tight bass....again, VERY preliminary impressions are highly favorable.

Testing out some hi-rez (McCartney's "Let Me Roll It" from the hi-rez digital release of Band on the Run) now...again, thumbs up so far.

As an FYI, the power supply IS external.  I would expect that we'll be seeing after market upgrades any time now (and perhaps even one from Wadia...who KNOWS?).

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 116
Promising initial results!
I know there was talk of the headphone stage coming from Ray Samuels...did that ever materialize?
They seem to be silent in their materials on the origin of the amp section....
Having balanced outs in great, I would love to use with my sr71b as well.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 116

Quote:
Promising initial results!
I know there was talk of the headphone stage coming from Ray Samuels...did that ever materialize?
They seem to be silent in their materials on the origin of the amp section....
Having balanced outs in great, I would love to use with my sr71b as well.

I'm almost positive that didn't end up coming to pass.  I think this was discussed originally more than three years ago.  This was supposed to come to market IIRC in the fall or 2009 originally.  I think a lot of what was initially envisioned has changed in that time.  I can find out for sure...

FWIW - It seems to me that they've put together a nice feature list at this price point.  I'd also heard a prototype of a Wadia headphone circuit at a Head-Fi meet at their HQ several years ago, and it sounded VERY nice.  I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the integrated headphone amp on this DAC so far.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #22 of 116
I'm sure you're right, if it was there, we'd know it.

Agree on features and price intersection, I'm hugely tempted and in need of a high performance solution on my desktop rig.

Thanks for the initial feedback, will be great to see how it breaks in and works for you.

May 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #23 of 116
I'm listening today at work, and liking what I'm hearing.  Mostly listening with RSA SR-71B, which is my preferred way thus far (though the headphone circuit on the 121 is nice...a bit bright with my Beyerdynamic DT-770's).

If there is a way to lock in my preferred options, I'm going to have to find out what it is.  When I powered up this AM, it was set on AES/EBU input - the only one active was the USB port - and the volume was all the way down.  This is the behavior of my Wadia 830 after power down as well, so it's not like I'm not accustomed to it.  I'd just like to modify it if possible to a different default.

May 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #24 of 116
I just ordered the Wadia as well and will be picking it up this Saturday.  I will try to post some impressions soon after.  I will be using it with my T1 will try it with my "Cute Beyond" headphone amp though I suspect the amp on the Wadia may sound better.  I had a Schiit Lyr but sold to raise money for my new setup.

I plan to eventually pair it with either the new Bryston headphone amp, Little Dot MK VI+, Woo audio 22, or Red Wine Audio Corvina (and using the battery output to power the DAC). 

May 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 116
I have been listening to mine since Monday. It is very smooth and analog sounding. I can relax when I listen.

I am not fond of the front panel blue LEDs in a darker room, however. Plus I hear some faint clock noise in my tweeters as you would hear with a cheap sound card. Not a big fan of the external switching power pack. Also if you lose power the settings go back to default (no EPROM).

May 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 116
Just got the Wadia 121 in house and doing initial listening right now.  So far I'm quite impressed.  Doesn't seem to give up anything from my old Audio-GD Sabre DAC and if anything adds a little more refinement.  I agree with the above comment of it being very smooth and analog sounding, if a tinge warmer than I would have expected from a Sabre DAC.  

Hard to believe it's running off an external switching power supply.  I'd love to see if they release an upgraded power supply in the future.  Listening is being done with Beyerdynamic T1 through the Wadia headphone output.  I Haven't tried the high gain stage yet.

May 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 116
Quote:
I have been listening to mine since Monday. It is very smooth and analog sounding. I can relax when I listen.

I am not fond of the front panel blue LEDs in a darker room, however. Plus I hear some faint clock noise in my tweeters as you would hear with a cheap sound card. Not a big fan of the external switching power pack. Also if you lose power the settings go back to default (no EPROM).

Seriously, when are manufacturers going to realise that consumers don't like bright blue (or red ..) LEDs on gear ? If Marantz and others were able to release receivers from the 60s onward which had wonderfully ambient lighting, is it really so hard to manage something less painful than the blue LED in 2012 ? I can understand why the LEDs are installed in cheap kit, but in something with the sticker price of a Wadia its just completely unacceptable - who is going to use black tape on a device they paid real money for ?

Apols for that liittle rant, but I'm completely over these LEDs - how many professionals would put up with a studio full of brightly colored LEDs all over the place ? Consumers are treated like imbeciles. 

May 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 116
Seriously, when are manufacturers going to realise that consumers don't like bright blue (or red ..) LEDs on gear ? If Marantz and others were able to release receivers from the 60s onward which had wonderfully ambient lighting, is it really so hard to manage something less painful than the blue LED in 2012 ? I can understand why the LEDs are installed in cheap kit, but in something with the sticker price of a Wadia its just completely unacceptable - who is going to use black tape on a device they paid real money for ?

Apols for that liittle rant, but I'm completely over these LEDs - how many professionals would put up with a studio full of brightly colored LEDs all over the place ? Consumers are treated like imbeciles. 

+1
I can't stand these damn led lights.
Had to put my bedroom tv on a remote control power strip to turn off the obnoxious Samsung blue circle.
Then I put painters tape over the blue dot on my Rsa raptor and an elastic hair band around volume control to hide that led.
Awesome point on the vintage gear, their ambient light was pleasing to look at and glowed like a candle.
Someone start a petition and I'll sign it twice.

May 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 116
Push the "Display" button on the remote and they dim substantially....

May 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 116
Does anybody have an idea on how the 121 compares in sound to the V200?
Tom, I guess we need to get together to compare 
wink.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back