W5000 Owners' Amp Registry
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #181 of 185
I just got the HA5000. Compared to the m-Stage I used before, the difference is actually massive. The music sounds effortless (not as effortless as electrostats), and the female vocals are mesmerizing. Every word sang from a girl does not sound like a play back from a headphone, but the music flows around you. Simply amazing.

May 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #182 of 185
I tried these headphones (W5000) on a audio-gd nfb 5.32. Very good results with violin and other string based classical music.

I found them to be better than the HD800 for some 'string' based tracks (in terms of string clarity sound). Nearly got crucified for
mentioning this one aspect of headphone performance in another thread here!

A lot of people really hate the W5000 but that is probably because they listen to music that it was not designed for.

Nov 4, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #185 of 185
Probably not many listening to these anymore, but recently picked up a used, unmodded pair that arrived in new old stock condition, as I'm in a phase of exploring all previous flagships that can be had for much cheaper than current ones. The W5000 seem to be really dac/amp picky. I'm hearing the wide range of descriptions based on the pairings...unnatural, natural, warm, congested, honky, nasally, thick, thin, bright, glare in upper midrange, piercing highs, crystal clear. I've settled on the following combinations ordered based on my favorite:

1. AGD NFB-10ES DAC > Earmax: lifelike vocals with a ton of emotion, sweet/euphonic, detailed, crystal clear, 3D, large soundstage, very natural/musical, non-existent glare in upper midrange. This combination is very natural and very musical/enjoyable. However, it is a bit thin sounding and bass shy and has static when no sound playing due to Earmax rated for higher impendence cans like the HD650's. (Great sounding and magical combination)
2. AGD NFB-10ES DAC/AMP SE output: Same characteristics of NFB10ES/Earmax combination but more detailed and crystal clear (can hear singer breathing), better instrument separation, bass has right amount of impact, but slight glare/fatigue in upper midrange and slightly less natural/musical. Treble seems to extend further. (Great sounding)
3. AGD Reference 7 > AGD Phoenix SE output: Warm, natural, relaxing, but a bit congested/honky and still has glare in upper midrange despite its warm sound. (OK sounding)
4. AGD Reference 7 > Earmax Pro clone: Similar to #3 but more natural but more warm/congested and voices can easily get nasally even between tracks of same artist, one tract sounding good the next sounds off. (OK sounding)
5. AGD NFB7/Master 7 > Woo WA5: Warm, thick, bass is too impactful, dull, congested, nasal vocals, glare/fatigue in upper midrange. (Bad sounding)
6. AGD NFB7/Master 7 > Master 8: Sounds like #4 but worse. (Bad sounding)

Surprised that my M7/WA5 combo is best for most of my other cans but the W5000's just didn't sound too good off of them.

Highly recommend the W5000 if you can find a pair on used market for cheap. I think it holds its own compared to more recent flagships due to its unique sound signature. I agree that these are one of the best for female vocals, which is mainly the tracks I've been using them for. I've also had no problems with fit, and these cans are so beautiful looking.

@JimJames, my understanding is that NFB-10ES is the balanced version of the NFB-11, so I think the NFB11 would pair well with the W5000's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back