W5000 have landed!
Dec 8, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #136 of 278
Or maybe an alternative side to the argument is that the w5k's are as good as what Gurus says there are and l3k owners are slightly miffed that they forked out too early instead of waiting for the w5k's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #137 of 278
Quote:

There is more detail in the bass region. The notes are articulate and clean, lot of definition, more impact (in the mid bass)than the L3000 and none of the boominess associated with the L3000. Cd used : Rob Wasserman-Duets.

I thought the more mid-bass....the more boommy the bass becomes. IMO, L3000 is near perfect. What is your source an amp for the L3000?

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #138 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I thought the more mid-bass....the more boommy the bass becomes. What is your source an amp for the L3000?

If the mid bass is done right then there is no reason why it should be boomy. Maybe the W5k's offer this over the L3k's from gurus point of view.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #139 of 278
Gurus is taking quite a bit of heat over what is simply his opinion. But let's not forget that Ken was also very favorably impressed with them...so there are two L3000/W5000 owners that seem to think the W5000 are thus far more suitable to their tastes.

From what I gather, the two phones have quite different presentations and it seems that if one is after transparency, clarity, and tighter bass, the W5000 is the better choice; conversely if it's musicality, fullness, and more bass, then the L3000 my be the better choice. But this is also just conjecture on my part from the limited amount of information so far. Let's let these gentlemen form their own opinions without undue criticism. They stepped up and bought both phones, so let them enjoy their headphones and call them as they see them...because at this point they ARE the authority, unless you too are willing to put up the coin to do the comparison yourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Maybe I had better watch it. Things are starting to heat up.

Two days with nothing but these W5000 cans. Love the tight bass. Forward vocals. They seem made for my type of music. Definitely a keeper.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #140 of 278
Goredwing,
I'm very curious now....so I will soon get the W5000!

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #142 of 278
man, if you guys dont stop this praising, im going to have to jump on this bandwagon. Somebody has to have some negative views about the w5000?
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #143 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
man, if you guys dont stop this praising, im going to have to jump on this bandwagon. Somebody has to have some negative views about the w5000?
evil_smiley.gif

Yes I am waiting for some negative also. I have $10 saying I end up with a pair before the end of the year...
evil_smiley.gif

-Alex-

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #144 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Goredwing,
I'm very curious now....so I will soon get the W5000!

Purk>I think you misunderstand me or I worded it wrong. Any headphone if the manufacturer does it right then the midbass does not necessarily have to be boomy.

...hang on, aren't you friends with mulvelling and look for any excuse to buy an AT?

Oski>You may be right they are under some critiscm. Is this critiscm warranted? probably not.

But you have to look at it from an objective point of view. I would be more interested in say like after long term ownership if their views still held water.

Are they the current authority on the W5k, for me not anytime soon. And to be quite blunt I haven't got a pair to listen to compare so it's all hyperbole. Sounds terrible right? Not really as I have strange taste's in phones.

People get too attached to their headphones and when you ask a legitimate question then tend to jump to it's defense like it was their injured son or daughter. I need objectivity.

Ken36 is a well known member of the ATOWF so I don't feel his objectivity is there and it is a case of new AT toy syndrome. Gurus has some credibilty with me as I share his views on the he60's/hev70's so we have some common ground. And for the record I respect their opinions.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #145 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Is it a purely a case of difference rather than better? THe L3000's are not exactl difficult to beat when you want a mean cleaner sound. The w5000's seems to suits Mr Gurus preferences although I am wondering if it is the case of a)The L3000's were not entirely to his preferences or b)Why didn't he just get the w2002 instead?

I liked the L3000 so much that I bought two pairs-one for backup. Tho I sold my extra pair to another Headfier, I am keeping the L3000 I currently have. And I rated them as the # 1 headphone in my system on Dec 2nd. (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...45#post1757045)
That doesn't mean that there is nothing better out there. There's where the W5000 comes in. Like I said, in my system it creams the L3000. Ofcourse that is my opinion and preference only. But you guys got to stop being armchair critics-listen to one before you decide to post your musings and form your own opinion. It could be different than mine! Too many people doing that without any basis. Ken has similar findings as me-and he owns one.

It's like, I just got a 650i that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want a M6 when it comes out next summer. As a matter of fact I have a deposit on it already. Such is life and progress.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #146 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
People get too attached to their headphones and when you ask a legitimate question then tend to jump to it's defense like it was their injured son or daughter. I need objectivity.

Yes, I agree...but they both own the L3000 as well. That to me is the important distinction. If anything, I'd expect them to be much more partial to the L3000's as they paid much more for those. So it's even more impressive, at least to me, that they favor their W5000 to their L3000 at this point.

EDIT: And besides costing them more, let's not forget the L3000's limited edition status, gorgeous leather cladding, and the fact that their existing rig was probably built around the L3000 or at least have significant synergy...all of which should have made the L3000 the odds on favorites in influencing their impressions actually.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #148 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
Lets not forget there is still the AT-HA5000 to come.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

And I thought I was done with headphones and amps!

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #150 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Gurus, do the W5000's lean toward the bright/analytical side, or are they more towards warmth?

They are brighter than the L3000 (but then anything is!) They are not as analytical as the K701s, more body and richness (warmth) than the K701s. I never felt the W5000 to sound strident which a lot of open and tranparent soundings headphones come across as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back