VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #5,656 of 7,982
I find the GR07-MK2 to be excellent for the price.  For a little less you can get the RE-400 which I find equally impressive.  I have relatively small ears and while the RE-400 is tiny and easy to fit I've had no problems with the GR07.  At $130 or less it's a good deal.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #5,657 of 7,982
  I find the GR07-MK2 to be excellent for the price.  For a little less you can get the RE-400 which I find equally impressive.  I have relatively small ears and while the RE-400 is tiny and easy to fit I've had no problems with the GR07.  At $130 or less it's a good deal.

I'm actually trying to decide between these two. From what I've read in the forum, they both have great reviews and most people are happy with either of them. But I do find that reviewers like joker and ClieOS lean more towards the GR07. The difference in price is not huge, and apparently both are what I'm looking for. Decisions!

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #5,658 of 7,982

I'm actually trying to decide between these two. From what I've read in the forum, they both have great reviews and most people are happy with either of them. But I do find that reviewers like joker and ClieOS lean more towards the GR07. The difference in price is not huge, and apparently both are what I'm looking for. Decisions!

RE-400 is a touch warmer with better mids.  It also wins out for comfort (though the GR07 aren't hard to fit).  The GR07 does appear to have better build quality in the sense that the cable (a much complained about aspect of Hifiman's offerings) is better.  However I paid $30 (percent) more for the GR07.  At the end of the day I like both more than anything else I've heard at that price point.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #5,659 of 7,982

i wouldnt say the sound completely changes, like what i meant was that before the klipschs were siblant/ harsh but the comply foam (its not hte foam its the inner core material) that took the edge off the top end

the i can still hear the top end of the klipschs (it didn't chop it off) lol its still its like if i can make an example if before i was driving at 60km/h (im canadian) and the comply foam is like the brake (it pulled it back like down to like 50km/h) 

once again it didnt kill the entire top end, the control on the klipschs were the same (still out of control treble) but its a little more pleasant to listen to

but if you got the mk1 thats know to sound a bit siblant, it should be okay. 

maybe iems aren't for you, but what i do know is that complys made iems immensely comfortable (the klipsch silicone ovals were very comfortable, for silicones) comply just took it to a whole other level

this is just imooo afterall, maybe the its edges on the gr07 housing that making it uncomfortable to you, not the part thats inside your ear canal

still debating on whether or not to save up for the gr07 or just get the gr06 right now, (or wait for the new lineup) 

Any thoughts?????

Im talking about the comply tips effect on the gr07 not on any other IEM. The gr07 Mk2 is supossed to be spot on analitical, so if you start colouring a bit the sound with foams, it's kind of pointless. Thats what I dont like about IEM's. You are supossed to be able to mix with them, but then again depending on the foam the sound can change.

Also, there seems to be an improved version of these tips:

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/tsx-500/

anyone knows if they are worth the extra money over the original ones?

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #5,660 of 7,982

Im talking about the comply tips effect on the gr07 not on any other IEM. The gr07 Mk2 is supossed to be spot on analitical, so if you start colouring a bit the sound with foams, it's kind of pointless. Thats what I dont like about IEM's. You are supossed to be able to mix with them, but then again depending on the foam the sound can change.

Also, there seems to be an improved version of these tips:

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/tsx-500/

anyone knows if they are worth the extra money over the original ones?

I don't think I would call the MkII analytical. It's more on the neutral side, but there's still coloring to jazz it up a bit. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #5,661 of 7,982
  What about the sound? Like I predicted you lose top end defitinion which is what makes this headphone great, as reported by Tom22. Even if I had super comfortability, whats the point if the sound gets deformed? It's like, you buy an analitical earphone to produce with it but you colour the sound with tips... it kind of defeats the purpose no?

Depends on how well you squish the foam. If you pinch it like normal, the sound tends to exaggerate the bass and hide the other frequencies. But if you push it back and roll the back 1/2, leaving the tip untouched, the sound is VERY close to the other tips. Definitely close enough that it doesn't bother me.

Also, the Comply TSX just adds a wax guard...another filter. Definitely a no, no if you ask me. If you're having wax issues, try tossing some soap in your ear in the shower, then letting the water run into your ear for awhile. I learned that trick years ago on here and have not had an issue w/ ear wax since. Also, the Comply's last a LONG time provided you don't have super wax growing in your ears!

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #5,663 of 7,982
Because I have the TS-500 and it fits? You have to push it ALL the way on the nozzle though, so maybe TS-400 would be better. I got gray foamies w/ the GR-07, not white, but they blow chunks. For me, the newer TS style (looks like a ball almost) Comply's fit much better than the older, longer ones. It's a shallower insertion.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5,664 of 7,982
  Because I have the TS-500 and it fits? You have to push it ALL the way on the nozzle though, so maybe TS-400 would be better. I got gray foamies w/ the GR-07, not white, but they blow chunks. For me, the newer TS style (looks like a ball almost) Comply's fit much better than the older, longer ones. It's a shallower insertion.

Yes they are kind of grey now that I look again. So it's better than I get the TS-400? what are the differences anyway.
Man I hope these are comfortable as **** otherwise i will be lossing 20$ for nothing

In fact im still not sure and thinking that I should give up and buy earbuds. Is there any super comfortable earbud with sound quality out there? or for good sound quality it has to be yes or yes an IEM? I just don't like the idea of the requirement of having stuff inserted INSIDE the ear canal. I would like it better if it sits outside the ear just like classic sony earbuds I used to use as a kid on the walkman (but with good sound quality)

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #5,665 of 7,982
  Yes they are kind of grey now that I look again. So it's better than I get the TS-400? what are the differences anyway.
Man I hope these are comfortable as **** otherwise i will be lossing 20$ for nothing

In fact im still not sure and thinking that I should give up and buy earbuds. Is there any super comfortable earbud with sound quality out there? or for good sound quality it has to be yes or yes an IEM? I just don't like the idea of the requirement of having stuff inserted INSIDE the ear canal. I would like it better if it sits outside the ear just like classic sony earbuds I used to use as a kid on the walkman (but with good sound quality)

there's this little classy looking ******:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-EC707-Earsuit-Headphones-Import/dp/B004AE2CJE/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381242270&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+707

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #5,666 of 7,982

Even the best earbud you can find will likely be inferior to most lower-end/mediocre IEMs.  The Apple Earpods come to mind as your best bet there, but for mixing...probably a big no.  That said, if you are looking for optional portability you may want to consider 'on ear' or supra-aural headphones as an alternative to IEMs, or just stick with full sized headphones.  If the problem is with inserting into your ear canal, then foam tips probably won't resolve that, even the most comfortable ones.  Based on your preferences, I would have to recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042ETXRQ
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #5,667 of 7,982

Yeah, $20 for FOAM kinda sucks. Especially considering you have no idea what size will work. I think you can buy a variety pack w/ all sizes, but then you get one set for twenty bucks, lol.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #5,668 of 7,982

Even the best earbud you can find will likely be inferior to most lower-end/mediocre IEMs.  The Apple Earpods come to mind as your best bet there, but for mixing...probably a big no.  That said, if you are looking for optional portability you may want to consider 'on ear' or supra-aural headphones as an alternative to IEMs, or just stick with full sized headphones.  If the problem is with inserting into your ear canal, then foam tips probably won't resolve that, even the most comfortable ones.  Based on your preferences, I would have to recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042ETXRQ
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO

I've been told these cheap looking Blox earbuds have top notch sound quality....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649302/review-blox-anv3-i-am-ordering-you-to-buy-a-pair

but then again this guy was banned for "writing paid reviews"

In the case of these headphones all of the previous stuff is absolutely irrelevant. That’s right it all counts t nothing because these sound amazing. I am not exaggerating here but these could take on most top tier IEMs and even win if they suit your sound signature. When first listening to these one thing will hit you before anything else. And that is the soundstage, huge and airy. Other than that these have a bright sound that is rather smooth regardless and has good energy and presence in all departments and ticks a lot of boxes. The only place it does sometimes show that it is not a true top tier is speed. I get the sound I describer here out of most rigs but I actually get a lush warm sound with toned down treble and brightness from the iPod Classic > MyST PortAMP, that is the best synergy!

how's that even possible?

Btw, im still considering buying the Comply foams because I love the GR07 sound but im so scared the comfort factor will still suck... what should I do?
confused.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #5,669 of 7,982
So 1st off you probably need to get a multi size kit to make sure it fits right. Then you need to decide between the TS and the P series, because...

"P-Series tips are made with soft memory foam technology with a tapered shape for maximum comfort."

If you need convincing, just look @ some of the reviews. You'll find a lot of praise there. And if they don't fit, you can always plead your case to Comply and see if they'll refund you. It's a shame they won't send out a sample kit free of charge. After all, they're just foam. Those guys must be making a killing in profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back