VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #5,509 of 7,982
Quote:
Any news on the VSD7? Is there an anticipation thread for the new Vsonic earphones coming out?

Well, it seems that both VSD7 and VSD9 might be ready but vsonic is waiting for the right time to release them. The interesting thing is that according to the vsonic's ceo they only have the capacity to make 300 VSD9 unit a year, which if true will make it really hard for anyone outside of China to get one. It's mentioned that VSD7 and VSD9 will be using 11mm drivers and that the diaphragm materials are highly confidential, so they won't be disclosing any info in that regard, so we still don't know whether they are still using bio-cellulose.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #5,511 of 7,982
Hey guys,

I can't make up my mind between the new RE-400 and the GR07/GR07BE.

I hoped you guys could help me out.

I'm coming from a pair of RE-0's, which I found fantastic, but they had some troubles with sibilance and I would prefer something a tad less flat. I'd prefer something a little more in your face(?)

What would be a good bet? I can get the RE-400 for about 75 euros and the GR07's for about 95.

I mostly listen to Rock (A perfect circle, Puscifer, Queens of the stone age, Kyuss, Smashing pumpkins, Arctic monkeys) metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Tool) blues (Rory gallagher, Jack white)  and to a lesser degree Bob Marley and Michael Jackson like stuff.

Now I'm looking at it, and I realise it's quite broad, but I think it's quite useful to know.

Thanks in advance

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,512 of 7,982
Quote:
Hey guys,

I can't make up my mind between the new RE-400 and the GR07/GR07BE.

I hoped you guys could help me out.

I'm coming from a pair of RE-0's, which I found fantastic, but they had some troubles with sibilance and I would prefer something a tad less flat. I'd prefer something a little more in your face(?)

What would be a good bet? I can get the RE-400 for about 75 euros and the GR07's for about 95.

I mostly listen to Rock (A perfect circle, Puscifer, Queens of the stone age, Kyuss, Smashing pumpkins, Arctic monkeys) metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Tool) blues (Rory gallagher, Jack white)  and to a lesser degree Bob Marley and Michael Jackson like stuff.

Now I'm looking at it, and I realise it's quite broad, but I think it's quite useful to know.

Thanks in advance

Tough choice, but I'll see if I can help from my experience...I've had similar HiFiMan experience (with the RE-ZERO in the past) and I originally moved from there to the GR07-BE because I wanted a more fun, slightly bass-tilted signature while still retaining much of the midrange.  I enjoyed them for quite some time and they really excelled in some genres, but were still quite good as an all-arounder.  About a month ago I traded with another head-fier to try out the MKII for a week, and I learned that while both were great, I was leaning more towards liking the more neutral signature of the MKII.  At times the GR07s were a bit fatiguing in the treble, but I know some people react to treble differently than others - most of the time it was a non issue after the 'burn-in' period.  

Out of curiosity and after reading a bit into the RE-400, I decided to try a pair out side by side with the BE.  First thing I noticed was *surprise* less bass...not less quality or extension, just less 'warmth' and a bit less impact.  Still very satisfying and still a tad warm, especially comparing from my memory of the RE-ZERO.  I learned that the extra bass emphasis of the BE was not necessary for me after all. The true hooks that got me however were the mids, the treble, and the airiness of the presentation.  The RE-400 mids are phenomenal at this price point, plain and simple.  The treble is slightly softer, less sibilant prone than the GR07, but no less extended or present...exactly what I was looking for.  The overall tone is very neutral, natural sounding and transparent.  Fitment is good on both for me, but the GR07 is a hair more comfortable with Sony Hybrid tips (and the nozzle is more narrow and adjustable), plus they fit a bit better for over-ear wear.  The RE-400 is a bit trickier over-ear at first, but they have the option of being worn down, so comfortably both ways.  Build is solid on both - the RE-400 is a bit classier looking with the aluminum and tiny, the GR07 are more industrial and subtle.  Cable is good on both, best being the BE's cable (it's slightly thicker/more compliant than the MKII).  I wish to compare the RE-400 side by side with the MKII, so I may eventually try to get a pair before they sell out.  Joker's review of the RE-400 mentions some comparison to the GR07, so you may want to check that out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-294-iems-compared-signature-acoustics-elements-c-12-added-08-22-13-p-753/9735#post_9258047

Either way, you are going to get a fantastic IEM.  Both do very well for the genres mentioned above (the RE-400 edges out the GR07 on vocals IMO, but again I've not done a direct comparison to the MKII).  Based on the fact that you like the RE0, but find the treble a bit sibilant and them to be a bit too flat, then I would have to suggest the RE-400 first.  I've found that I prefer HiFiMan's house sound 
biggrin.gif
 but the Vsonics are tremendous values as well.

Ryan

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5,513 of 7,982
I would agree with most of what you say here Ryan...almost. But ultimately I find the gr07 mkii and bass edition to be better than the re-400. Granted I did have fitment issues with the re-400. I didn't like the larger flange which limits the options with after market tips. In most cases if I can't use the Sony hybrids then it's a deal breaker for me. Also, I found that the vsonic's more flexible cable to be easier to use while I liked the quality of the HFM cable better. 

Overall I found the vsonics, both editions, to be more resolving and to have better weight and presence in the bass region without giving up anything in the mids. The re-400 is a better value possibly when you consider the price difference between them and the vsonics. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5,514 of 7,982
Quote:
I would agree with most of what you say here Ryan...almost. But ultimately I find the gr07 mkii and bass edition to be better than the re-400. Granted I did have fitment issues with the re-400. I didn't like the larger flange which limits the options with after market tips. In most cases if I can't use the Sony hybrids then it's a deal breaker for me. Also, I found that the vsonic's more flexible cable to be easier to use while I liked the quality of the HFM cable better. 

Overall I found the vsonics, both editions, to be more resolving and to have better weight and presence in the bass region without giving up anything in the mids. The re-400 is a better value possibly when you consider the price difference between them and the vsonics. 

I think I could have a change of heart back to the Vsonics if I used the MKII more extensively and compared them side by side with the RE-400, so if I decide to do that I'll have to let you know my impressions.  I would also be good to just use the RE-400 exclusively for a period, then go back and try the GR07 to have a clearer idea of the differences/benefits of each.  Also, it could still be the effects of 'new toy syndrome' with the RE-400, but with proper fitment they are really a great IEM. 
tongue.gif
 I do think I just like the HiFiMan signature, even recalling the RE-ZERO.  Both versions of the GR07's cable are definitely ideal for over the ear use comfort, are a bit more durable feeling and are less prone to kinks.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5,516 of 7,982
Quote:

http://www.lendmeurears.com/ 133$ free 
shipping

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #5,518 of 7,982
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's a hard choice to make. The price difference between the two is 15 euro's for me.

Question is, is it worth those 15 euro's?

Next to that, I don't really like wearing earphones over the ear, I can overcome that if they sound exceptional, but I prefer not to, so that makes me lean towards the RE-400

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5,519 of 7,982
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's a hard choice to make. The price difference between the two is 15 euro's for me.

Question is, is it worth those 15 euro's?

Next to that, I don't really like wearing earphones over the ear, I can overcome that if they sound exceptional, but I prefer not to, so that makes me lean towards the RE-400

I also had doubts about over the ear, but GR07 is very comfortable, once you put them in your ears you just forget they are there, the adjustable nozzle and the flush fit helps a lot. If you listen to rock and metal GR07 has amazing timbre, natural sound and instrument separation. The guitars, drums and vocals sound just great. As far as I know the most recommended IEM for Rock and Metal on this forum is GR07. Maybe for other genres like EDM or RAP there are better in this price range, but for Rock is hard to beat IMO.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5,520 of 7,982
Still no info on the VSD7 and VSD9 release date but apparently the VSD9's driver diaphragm is made of some very unique and rare material or whatever coz vconic's ceo said it's so hard to obtain that now they can make only 120 VSD9 units a year, which makes it quite the limited edition iem. VSD9's price for overseas will be $650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back