VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #4,621 of 7,982
Quote:
For those who don't follow the GR08 (V7007) thread, here's my translation. Some details may be misinterpreted as I'm not all that familiar with Chinese audiophile terms although Mandarin is my mother tongue.

Translation:

Vsonic's GR07 series will undergo a slight modification around January, which deals specifically with the aesthetic flaws of these IEMs and will use a newly designed mould for production. After this is released in the market, you can expect a new flagship dynamic [I'm not familiar with the term "圈铁" in audiophile language, but it could mean hybrid rather than dynamic driver as it is an amalgamation of "动圈 (dynamic)+动铁(BA)]  that is currently in development. The most technologically superior (in the domestic market) dual driver IEM [Translator: prossibly referring to the V7007, which is due for release in February, seeing that it will be released after January when the new GR07s enter the market], as well as planar IEM will be subsequently revealed after the dynamic IEMs have been released. These new IEMs will be priced at more than 2000 Chinese Yuan/Renminbi.

Huh might wait for the MK3 if it comes with an removable cable 

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4,622 of 7,982
I'm glad to hear that they're going to scrap the original housing - it did look pretty bad to these eyes. Yet another GR07? A planar-magnetic iem? These guys are swinging for the fences and I LIKE IT.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #4,623 of 7,982
The GR07 facelift had already been announced some months back. The planar IEM was also announced a while back, but what seems to be new is that new highend dynamic IEM. VSONIC is on a rampage! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #4,626 of 7,982
For some reason I had it in my head that they were talking about the GR08 housing...my mistake. There is nothing wrong with the GR07 housing from an aesthetic point of view - it is non-descript, but that's part of its appeal - it's all business and no flash. The mock-ups of the GR08 need much more attention than the 07.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,627 of 7,982
Another album suggestion: re-Foc by Rodrigo y Gabriela. Their music is acoustic guitar based. It's a mix of rock and various Hispanic/Latin genres, which makes it heavy but also incredibly rhythmical. The album is very well recorded, and the GR07s present it in a way I find hard to describe with words. Do yourself a favor and give it a listen! 

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4,628 of 7,982
Nice track! Yeah, the GR07 does great with Spanish guitar.

Speaking of tracks, I just fell in love with my GR07 all over again. This is one of the best recorded albums I've ever listened to. It's binaural, so the soundstage is natural and enveloping, and the vocals float in the air around you. I HIGHLY recommend it.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD090368035660

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4,629 of 7,982
Quote:
Speaking of tracks, I just fell in love with my GR07 all over again. This is one of the best recorded albums I've ever listened to. It's binaural, so the soundstage is natural and enveloping, and the vocals float in the air around you. I HIGHLY recommend it.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD090368035660

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw that it was advertised on here yesterday but for some reason I didn't even bother checking it - huge mistake.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4,630 of 7,982
Crosby, Stills & Nash, self-titled from 1977 (their first without Neil Young). This isn't binaural, but it is available in hi-rez format from hdtracks, and the harmonizing is STELLAR. I love hearing this album through my GR07s. Head-over-heels-slap-me-with-a-fish-and-I-don't-care love. Shadow Captain is the standout track for me.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD603497928514

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4,631 of 7,982
Regarding its design, maybe they're going to remedy the strain relief that has popped off for some owners. That's a good idea, but other than perhaps rounding off the corners and making the cables replaceable (which would be the greatest thing since sliced bread), it's just fine.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #4,632 of 7,982
amazing!!

Edit: i dont have 24 bit playback, do you think it would still play? my DAC is up to 16 bit. Im seriously loving this and i wanna get it but i've been listening through itunes and I think i need a more suitable software to play FLAC, any recommendations?

and btw, just a thought. Based on this recording, it seems everything is really down to the recording in terms of quality, and if the recording is made as well as these, even my cheapo IEM can have excelllent soundstage and great imaging, everything else like headphones, DAPs, cables etc are just sub-improvements? I could be wrong, but this is just the impression I get

Quote:
Nice track! Yeah, the GR07 does great with Spanish guitar.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #4,633 of 7,982
Quote:
amazing!!

Edit: i dont have 24 bit playback, do you think it would still play? my DAC is up to 16 bit. Im seriously loving this and i wanna get it but i've been listening through itunes and I think i need a more suitable software to play FLAC, any recommendations?

and btw, just a thought. Based on this recording, it seems everything is really down to the recording in terms of quality, and if the recording is made as well as these, even my cheapo IEM can have excelllent soundstage and great imaging, everything else like headphones, DAPs, cables etc are just sub-improvements? I could be wrong, but this is just the impression I get

Yep, it'll still play. Honestly, there's hardly and difference. I got the 24/178  version, and converted it to 320 mp3 via LAME encoding. When I A/B'ed the two, there was zero repeatable difference that couldn't be chalked up to placebo.

Binaural recordings take your musical enjoyment to the next level. The biggest improvements you can get are from the recording and the headphones.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4,634 of 7,982
Alright. Thanks eke2k6, I'm sold on this. This recording is awesome like OMG-awesome! Im so excited : D

Its definitely grabbed me and im just simplly floored and amazed with it!!

I remember the first time encountered Binaural recording is also from you and in your review on Aurisonics, but i never heard them in real acoustic band setting until now.

I saw it on Head-Fi but I never took it seriously until i saw your repeat post. So my thanks again!!

After this one, i'm definitely going to spend more time finding binaural stuff!!

And I just wanted to share that the reason I discovered Head-Fi had been this app called Naturespace. I wanted to find a good IEM to go with it. Have you heard of them eke2k6? If not please check them out. In fact, i'd recommend anyone here to look it up.

It's not as Binaural as this, but they call them "Holographic Audio" and it bought plenty of tracks off them for a few buck or two each

And the only reason preventing me from purchasing a high end DAP and sticking to my iPhone/iPod is because of this app alone (because I want to keep this app and the tracks). It has started to appear in Android platform now though, but still much more convenient through App Store.

They seem to have great recording quality for natural sounds with great imaging and realism, and a lot of tracks can immerse and transport you to a new location. Its free app with 5 free tracks, which you can try. And i'd recommending spending just mere $2-3 to get a license to demo all their amazing tracks before deciding if you like to purchase any of them.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,635 of 7,982
Quote:
Naturespace.

Wow! I downloaded their demo track from the webpage and I'm a little floored. The rain, thunder, and birds are amazing. The water effects made my draw drop. I can hear the birds cawing over my head, and the men running behind me. I've never heard any ordinary recording sound this 3D!

Are you sure this isn't binaural?!?! It must be!

Thanks!

I just want to say...I fckin LOVE my GR07.

I just went from listening to this acoustic stuff, to some hip-hop, to classical, and back to some hardcore rock (my ipod's on shuffle) and it just didn't even flinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back