VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #4,576 of 7,982
Quote:
"Engaging" is not the same as "natural." And that's your subjective view of colored sound. My subjective view of sound that is intentionally colored for "enhancement" is one of "no, that's wrong, it's not supposed to sound like that," and I can't enjoy it.

Fair enough. Different strokes.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4,577 of 7,982
I always feel that ER4's timbre is off, not talking about the body, but just tonal color exclusive of the FR, even in the treble area.
For a mid to high-end IEM, it's quite average in that regard, same with its so-so frequency extension. The lack of tactility/air movement on the lows is also a big issue which I think is the IEM shortcoming, not the recordings. As flat/accurate as the FR is, those factors are taking a lot out of the realism and natural sound. It's not just about the FR.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4,579 of 7,982
Quote:
I always feel that ER4's timbre is off, not talking about the body, but just tonal color exclusive of the FR, even in the treble area.
For a mid to high-end IEM, it's quite average in that regard, same with its so-so frequency extension. The lack of tactility/air movement on the lows is also a big issue which I think is the IEM shortcoming, not the recordings. As flat/accurate as the FR is, those factors are taking a lot out of the realism and natural sound. It's not just about the FR.

Air movement is an issue with BAs in general. The driver units are minuscule, they don't really move a lot of air. Headphone bass in general isn't the same as speaker bass, regardless of type. 

The ER4 aren't perfectly accurate, particularly in the upper midrange. That, more than anything, is what I feel causes them to sound cold to some, and throws of the timbre. That's a rough area to have trouble, because not only is the ear quite sensitive in that area, but it's also a region where it affects both harmonics and fundamentals. 

That, and the single armature doesn't extend as well on both ends.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #4,580 of 7,982
eke, I haven't been on the forums much lately.  So it seems your opinion of the Ety sound has strongly turned?

Ha you were right to an extent.

I still think they're great performers, but they just don't quite sound natural.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #4,582 of 7,982
Quote:

I feel the ER4S has little coloring, and its treble is the most tonally accurate of all the IEMs I've heard, except maybe the RE0. The ER4P's treble extension is slightly lacking, but the ER4S is clearly much more extended extrapolating based on their frequency response graphs.

One thing I would fault the Etys for its that they didn't account for bone conductivity in their quest for accuracy. Also, there's a 2dB notch between 200Hz and 1kHz, and a 2.5dB hump between 1kHz and 2kHz in perceived response based on the graph that Etymotic Research published on their website. The perceived response between 10kHz and 12kHz is also higher than neutral by 2-3dB. All of those minor flaws are easily fixed with EQ; whereas the GR07's treble requires a surgical makeover to get it sound right. Well, I guess using foam tips as others have mentioned may also help.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #4,584 of 7,982
I'm finding the bass of the ER4S lends itself quite well to EQ, although it has nowhere near the dynamic range of the GR07. If pushed too hard, on bassy tracks, distortion is heard. Thankfully, I don't listen at excessively loud volumes, so everything is still good. The 100Hz band is currently 2dB above flat (by that I mean there's a negative slope from 100Hz to 1kHz with a rise of 2dB), and adds a small touch of warmth which I find quite wonderful.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #4,585 of 7,982
Isn't the fitear 111 made to compete with the er4s?

Yes.

Quote:
I'm finding the bass of the ER4S lends itself quite well to EQ, although it has nowhere near the dynamic range of the GR07. If pushed too hard, on bassy tracks, distortion is heard. Thankfully, I don't listen at excessively loud volumes, so everything is still good. The 100Hz band is currently 2dB above flat (by that I mean there's a negative slope from 100Hz to 1kHz with a rise of 2dB), and adds a small touch of warmth which I find quite wonderful.

This is something interesting to try, lowering 2.5K and 7.5K by a fair amount.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,587 of 7,982
I am pretty much set on buying the Vsonic GR07 or the TDK BA200, but I got a few questions, which is easiest to drive and which isolates the most? thanks a lot.

Gr07 is louder for any given volume. I'd say the isolate more too, but I didn't use the foam tips much with the ba200 and the triflange never fit me well. However the gr07 do well...

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #4,588 of 7,982
After burning in for 200 hours I really notice an improvement in sound and the vocals are really good.
However this over-the-ear concept still bugs me and is soo annoying.
Using guides is horrible. If you don't use guides and adjust the thingie (don't know name) I need to pull it towards my throat else the cable has not enough tension and doesn't stick behind my ear. Also with a jacket on, if you zip the jacket to the top, it also releases the tension of the cable and therefore I can't wear it comfortably.

Is over-the-ear not used for traveling?

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4,589 of 7,982
Ear-guides are used for traveling, see all those 'sports' labelled iems/earbuds :)

Get used to over-the-ear, one very useful tip for you :) It unlocks a lot of good IEM's in your audiophile journey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back