VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,396 of 7,982
Quote:

By first edition, you mean the original ones, or from the second production batch (MK1.1)? Anyway, a direct comparison between the 3 models would be awesome! 
beerchug.gif

There's no real difference between the original batch, or the second batch (1.1) GR07. As for the MKII comparison...

So Eke was kind enough to send me his set of GR07 MK2's for direct comparison with my MK1 pair. From what I remember reading prior to receiving them, things I expected to hear were very small, subtle differences between the older and new pairs. This was not at all what I found. I don't recall reading what was done in tweaking the driver (or if anything was done at all), since I haven't kept up with the thread very much unfortunately-- so bear with me on this brief comparo. 

I listened to Eke's pair first as soon as the package arrived. I'd been enjoying my TG!334's prior to this, so when I put the MK2's in, I was actually quite surprised at how enjoyable they were immediately after the 334's. I didn't remember the MK1's being like this right after the Fitears. So I went through several of my favorite test tracks, and I found with every one they just handle the whole dynamic range so beautifully. Lows are really deep yet controlled, midrange very full and properly placed (neither recessed, nor overly forward), and highs very clear and very much extended. 

After this session, I got out my MK1 set, queued up the same tracks, and was pretty stunned at the differences. This wasn't subtleties at all. In comparison, the MK1's show a much more choked in and one-dimensional soundstage, and the midrange is noticeably thinner (almost more of a sterile feeling to this area) and pulled back. Treble seems about the same, with the newer version possibly having a touch less 'hotness' up top. Bass is perhaps a touch less extended on the MK1's too. So, overall, these areas combined really make for a hugely improved earphone with the MK2.

So what I'm left to believe is either they made quite a few changes to the driver to gain this amount of benefit, or my pair is not a prime example of what the MK1 is capable of. And I feel that what I hear between the two is significantly more than can be explained by improving the cable. Having heard  the MK2, I feel it is even more of a huge value in the IEM world, and I will be ordering a pair even when I have the MK1's. 

Here are some images to compare. The molded parts on the MK2's look a touch blacker, and as is plainly noticeable the cable coating is more of a copper color. And the silver strands are hinted at barely through the almost opaque coating. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4,397 of 7,982
Mirrors, by Battles, is another album that sounds amazing with these. The drums sound incredibly alive, you guys should check it out. Also, Florence + the Machine's album, Lungs, is pretty incredible.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4,398 of 7,982
Mirrors, by Battles, is another album that sounds amazing with these. The drums sound incredibly alive, you guys should check it out. Also, Florence + the Machine's album, Lungs, is pretty incredible.

Omg +1 on Battles.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #4,400 of 7,982
I just love how experimental and... weird it all sounds. It feels so refreshing to find artists who aren't afraid of trying new things.

Please check out Dan Deacon if you haven't already. Totally similar and awesome.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #4,401 of 7,982
Quote:

I love "FATM"! My GR07MK2 are arriving soon and should be hearing these soon! Cannot wait. Anyone know how I can spot the differences between the MK1 and MK2?

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #4,402 of 7,982
Please check out Dan Deacon if you haven't already. Totally similar and awesome.

Will do, thanks for the suggestion.

I love "FATM"! My GR07MK2 are arriving soon and should be hearing these soon! Cannot wait. Anyone know how I can spot the differences between the MK1 and MK2?

You'll fall in love with the album once again, seriously. As for the differences... I don't really know, but I believe there's a quite a few posts about it on the Appreciation Thread. Also, I think Eke was going to do a comparison sometime soon.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #4,405 of 7,982
The bass edition? xp

If the treble feels VERY different to your preference I will suggest you to try the ASG1.2, very dark and seductive sound haha

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4,409 of 7,982
I think I just just had a "eureka!" moment with the GR07.

I don't think it lacks soundstage depth at all..where it actually falls short is in the height. This is the cause of the dynamics problem and more closed in sound stage.

It's almost like trying to stand up, but you find yourself hitting your head on the ceiling.

Of course, the other aspects of the sound compensate for this, but I just found it interesting enough to share.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,410 of 7,982
Quote:
I think I just just had a "eureka!" moment with the GR07.

I don't think it lacks soundstage depth at all..where it actually falls short is in the height. This is the cause of the dynamics problem and more closed in sound stage.

It's almost like trying to stand up, but you find yourself hitting your head on the ceiling.

Of course, the other aspects of the sound compensate for this, but I just found it interesting enough to share.

Interesting I'll check this out.

Edit: I can see what you're saying but I don't have anything with a big sound stage to compare! I tend to prefer an intimate presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back