VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #4,036 of 7,982
popcorn.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #4,038 of 7,982
Finally went against my rationality, and bit the bullet for the cheaper and unauditioned GR07 bass edition instead of the vanilla (and tried and tested) GR07 yesterday as well. 

Travelbug, where did you get the 3 weeks ETA from? I asked an Vsonic sales rep yesterday and I think he said that they will start shipping on the 15th (iirc), or you're not living near China?

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #4,039 of 7,982
Quote:
Finally went against my rationality, and bit the bullet for the cheaper and unauditioned GR07 bass edition instead of the vanilla (and tried and tested) GR07 yesterday as well. 

Travelbug, where did you get the 3 weeks ETA from? I asked an Vsonic sales rep yesterday and I think he said that they will start shipping on the 15th (iirc), or you're not living near China?

15/09 was in fact the date VSONIC oficially anounced as the shipping date for the GR07 Bass pre-order buyers! Finally some users are going for the new model, as the deal is very good for you guys in China! We'll be waiting for your impressions... 
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4,040 of 7,982
I've been listening through this amazing dolby setup through the GR07: http://www.head-fi.org/t/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

Honestly, when I'm listening to vocal music that is emotionally charged, I prefer the intimate "in your head" presentation that headphones provide, and especially the slightly forward types. I wouldn't trade such an experience for even the best and most expensive/advanced speaker system/setup. When the singer(s) sing, I'm them, and they're me; or, they sing along with me, and I with them (albeit in my mind, not aloud... I will keep it that way lol). There is nothing like the experience of walking home a mile away down the sidewalk during a cold, lonely night, with snow (or rain) all around, and you're gently pushing along (hopefully in warm clothing!); and you're listening to a sad, moving love song through IEMs. I've had that experience and similar experiences multiple times, often outdoors, and I just can only imagine a surround-sound presentation would take away from the emotional intimacy of such an experience. Being sung to, and singing with, are two very different experiences. In the latter, you often feel like you are the music, as opposed to being surrounded by it.

That said, when I'm listening to a "fun" song, or I want to be serenaded, a great surround-sound presentation much like the one I'm listening to, which I discovered in the thread above, is the preferred presentation. Just thought I wanted to share that nice little discovery, and my thoughts about the joy of headphone listening. ^_^

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #4,043 of 7,982
I've been listening through this amazing dolby setup through the GR07: http://www.head-fi.org/t/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

Honestly, when I'm listening to vocal music that is emotionally charged, I prefer the intimate "in your head" presentation that headphones provide, and especially the slightly forward types. I wouldn't trade such an experience for even the best and most expensive/advanced speaker system/setup. When the singer(s) sing, I'm them, and they're me; or, they sing along with me, and I with them (albeit in my mind, not aloud... I will keep it that way lol). There is nothing like the experience of walking home a mile away down the sidewalk during a cold, lonely night, with snow (or rain) all around, and you're gently pushing along (hopefully in warm clothing!); and you're listening to a sad, moving love song through IEMs. I've had that experience and similar experiences multiple times, often outdoors, and I just can only imagine a surround-sound presentation would take away from the emotional intimacy of such an experience. Being sung to, and singing with, are two very different experiences. In the latter, you often feel like you are the music, as opposed to being surrounded by it.

That said, when I'm listening to a "fun" song, or I want to be serenaded, a great surround-sound presentation much like the one I'm listening to, which I discovered in the thread above, is the preferred presentation. Just thought I wanted to share that nice little discovery, and my thoughts about the joy of headphone listening. ^_^

I echo with you! Headphones are so much more intimate and its really different to speakers. Both can get very good but i don't have the cash to explore speaker systems yet haha

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #4,044 of 7,982
I wonder how the GR07 bass edition would sound, can't think of a reason to get it over the IE80s other than the cheaper price. 

The supposedly big soundstage and bass of the ie80s mentioned by other users seem like a good choice. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #4,045 of 7,982
I'm really torn atm between my GR07 and EX600.

GR07 have greater detail which works with that wonderful timbre and an obvious advantage in separation, Though EX600 have soundstage width and imaging which makes the head stage of GR07 seem congested. The EX left/right/centre channels work so beautifully together but the signature is possibly to mainstream still and less adventurous. It's missing that crunch and grind GR07 have so it remains polite / user friendly giving a little of everything but excelling at nothing in-particular besides imaging / width. (lack of separation shows) My opinion has also changed about bass between the two. I've been giving the EX600 some say 50 - 100 hours burn in and I can almost swear bass has become quite powerful now, either that or a change of DAPS recently is causing this.. The EX600 bass is now some of the nicest texture I have heard from my collection, showing more sub-bass decay than the other. A very full sounding bass that spreads dynamics well across the bottom of the soundstage.

Usually with GR07 I can trick myself into hearing the music coming from each earpiece nozzel, you "tweak your ear" and can always trick the soundstage coming from either end of your ear. This is something I find very hard doing with EX600, the sound is simply either left /right / centre and you cannot focus on it coming from the earpiece.

Both are non fatiguing and have rocked me to sleep easily, EX600 probably has the edge here.

(please note my opinions change constantly, it's probably best not to listen to a single word I say)

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #4,046 of 7,982
Quote:
The GR07 Bass Edition deal looks pretty sweet.. I'd get one if I could order.. It comes with another free iem right?

Yes, along with it's pre-order discount price, they're also offering a free pair of the GR04 Flagship IEM if you buy the GR07 Bass in this promo! If you're in China, get them quickly as that great launch promo is due to end today, 15/09! 
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #4,048 of 7,982
Quick question guys:

What kind of isolation could I expect from a GR07 with custom tips?  Meaning, will the small vent prevent it from ever having very good isolation, or will it get close to the best universals with custom molded tips?  Rather poor isolation (and somewhat finicky fit with my ears) is really my only issue with this IEM, it is fantastic-sounding and overall very comfortable, but I have to re-adjust the fit more often than I care for.  Thanks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,049 of 7,982
Quote:
Quick question guys:

What kind of isolation could I expect from a GR07 with custom tips?  Meaning, will the small vent prevent it from ever having very good isolation, or will it get close to the best universals with custom molded tips?  Rather poor isolation (and somewhat finicky fit with my ears) is really my only issue with this IEM, it is fantastic-sounding and overall very comfortable, but I have to re-adjust the fit more often than I care for.  Thanks!

I can't think of anyone who's actually gotten custom tips for the GR07.  Honestly, I don't see it affecting the isolation much - what you get with the silicone tips will be pretty close to what you could possibly get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back