VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #3,826 of 7,982
I'll try the same cable you got when I get another pair of TF10s.    Even if the cable sucks, it will be 100 times better than the stock one. :D

The cable is very good!! :D Highly recommend! Best thing I could of done for my TF10 fit and SQ.

Anyway, what an experience last night listening to James Blake with my GRO7 amped, the soundstage shows great width paired up in conjunction with S9 + E11 + GRO7, also portrays a decent sense of depth. Honestly, it sounded like I was right there in the room with Mr Blake, I could pin point him where ever he was on stage, vocals were fantastic. Instruments also showed great placement, one of those moments I won't forget in a hurry. So natural, so smooth.

The only problem with such width in a soundstage is cymbals and high hats from drums appear further away from the kit. Like the drum kit is spread across stage rather then centred. Take E11 away, that great sense of width and depth disappears, as does a majority of placement. At 50ohms yes, GRO7 can be driven nicely from any portable source, though given what they deserve will blossom into one beautiful sounding monitor.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #3,827 of 7,982
Quote:
The cable is very good!!
biggrin.gif
Highly recommend! Best thing I could of done for my TF10 fit and SQ.
Anyway, what an experience last night listening to James Blake with my GRO7 amped, the soundstage shows great width paired up in conjunction with S9 + E11 + GRO7, also portrays a decent sense of depth. Honestly, it sounded like I was right there in the room with Mr Blake, I could pin point him where ever he was on stage, vocals were fantastic. Instruments also showed great placement, one of those moments I won't forget in a hurry. So natural, so smooth.
The only problem with such width in a soundstage is cymbals and high hats from drums appear further away from the kit. Like the drum kit is spread across stage rather then centred. Take E11 away, that great sense of width and depth disappears, as does a majority of placement. At 50ohms yes, GRO7 can be driven nicely from any portable source, though given what they deserve will blossom into one beautiful sounding monitor.

For me the GR07's soundstage is more track dependent than it is source dependent. Depth? Check this song out:

Have you tried a source other than your S9?

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,828 of 7,982
Ok, I listened to it twice. (good tune by the way) Once with E10 then E11 using E10's line out. The soundstage on E10 shows decent width but placement isn't very good even with that track., you can really hear instrument volumes are giving an impression of distance which is kind of faking it. Now the E11's stage is noticeably wider with better depth you can actually feel the stage dropping back in your head with about three sections layering backwards. Plus left and right samples go waaaay far side to side.

Check my profile for the sources I use. :wink: I've tried this with tracks I know for months today, it's the E11 doing it. Whenever I take it away I lose that huge width and depth sensation.

E11 For the win!!

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3,831 of 7,982
I have the 2nd batch (not the MK-II) for about two months now and for me it still did not change at all. I'm not skeptic about the burn-in infact I do experience it from some of my earbuds/headphones. Maybe it really takes time for them to break-in. Besides, I don't use them that much nor leave them playing music alone.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #3,836 of 7,982
How many hours will these take to really shine?

200?

300?

I gave mine 250 hours which added up most nights while sleeping, then I gave up and listened. Most important is going to be your source, they won't shine through a weak player, really revealing bad recordings and bit rates, as they do poor players *cough ipods cough* The Clip+ which you have? drives them decently up to a little over half volume, but my Cowon players really make them shine. Fiio E10 is another good amp alternative for GRO7 which will show you their full potential. I'm sticking to my guns about them being amped too.

The main thing about GRO7 is the moment you stop expecting miracles like extreme clarity, separation from it....the day you accept them for their signature, that's the day they will impress you. They aren't made to blow your socks off, the sound is really an acquired taste, though once you find that sound - that's when love shines between IEM and owner. Don't listen for their faults, let them listen to you.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,837 of 7,982
Quote:
 Don't listen for their faults, let them listen to you.

Open your heart to them. If you love them, let them go. And if it was meant to be they will come back to you... ;D

Ahem, but yes. I agree with most of what you said.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,838 of 7,982
Quote:
I gave mine 250 hours which added up most nights while sleeping, then I gave up and listened. Most important is going to be your source, they won't shine through a weak player, really revealing bad recordings and bit rates, as they do poor players *cough ipods cough* The Clip+ which you have? drives them decently up to a little over half volume, but my Cowon players really make them shine. Fiio E10 is another good amp alternative for GRO7 which will show you their full potential. I'm sticking to my guns about them being amped too.
The main thing about GRO7 is the moment you stop expecting miracles like extreme clarity, separation from it....the day you accept them for their signature, that's the day they will impress you. They aren't made to blow your socks off, the sound is really an acquired taste, though once you find that sound - that's when love shines between IEM and owner. Don't listen for their faults, let them listen to you.

Your cowon players alone? Without amp? I thought we're in agreement that cowon players alone like S9/J3 make the GR07 dull and boring.
triportsad.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,839 of 7,982
So, I've been listening to these for several weeks now. Probably put a hundred hours or more of music into my head and really settled into them, and I think that at this point, I can truly declare the GR07 MkII to be my favorite IEM out of all those I've listened to. It has a very well balanced frequency response so that nothing really sticks out more than anything else and has a wide enough and almost deep enough soundstage to give me a good impression of space. Imaging is pretty accurate and I can generally place things in the correct location based on what I hear. And they have a very high resolution. To my ears, and admittedly going by memory alone, I can hear detail approximately equal to the triple.fi 10 and a little better than RE-Zero. This goes along with a better frequency balance than either of the aforementioned in-ears. Bass is not too strong (TF.10), nor is it too light (HiFiMan). Mids are somewhere around neutral. By ear, I imagine they're pretty flat. And treble is wonderful. It extends quite high and doesn't seem to roll off too drastically versus my own high frequency hearing. It's sort of like having my HD-600 in the form of an IEM, though still relatively different.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3,840 of 7,982
Your cowon players alone? Without amp? I thought we're in agreement that cowon players alone like S9/J3 make the GR07 dull and boring. :triportsad:

With an amp my friend. My Cowons drive them "ok" at lower volumes though become very thin, edgey at higher amount's. I think the only reason Cowon's handle this to extend is due to the higher powered internal amp in combination with Mach3bass supporting the low ends dynamics. Don't worry, overall still dull and boring for most parts. :smile:

Well Friday morning here and a day off. GRO7 MK2 + E10 going at the computer with my favourite Britney album.

Just makes me feel like dancin I tell ya! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back