VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2,806 of 7,982

Quote:
Actually, I think the GR07 is quite small compared to other IEMs. I've had the UM-1 and tried a lot of IEMs already, and I feel the GR07 is on the smaller side of the spectrum. Plus, there's the adjustable nozzle can optimize the fit.

I agree. The directional nozzle is really great to achieve a perfect fit and seal... 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #2,807 of 7,982
Received these 2 days ago and I must say I'm impressed. I won't delve much into its sound signature since most people have already done so but I will say these does bass brilliantly. Its just so well balance and well controlled most of the time that I really didn't expect it to produce such a good low end rumble when playing songs from the likes of Armin Van Buuren and Pitbull. Drums sounded superb as well.

These also sounded remarkably similar to my eq7 ortofons in a way that they both have a balance sound signature and their relatively warm midrange presentation. They even have the number 7 in their name
bigsmile_face.gif
. The main difference between these two lies in the way they present their vocals. The eq7 sounded more forward when it comes to vocals while the gr07 sounded a bit more neutral. I still prefer the eq7 when it comes to vocals but depending on your preference your position may differ from mine. The gr07 also sounded fuller than the eq7 and has a more refine treble when compared to the eq7 which I feel is a little roll off at the top. Overall I'm extremely pleased with these earphones and for $150 its bloody good value. Highly reccomended.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #2,808 of 7,982

Quote:
I have heard the most recent Fiio .... Not even in the same league sir.

Doof your making a good case. But, I don't like the volume controlled by the PC/ This is a problem for my laptop

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2,809 of 7,982

Quote:
Doof your making a good case. But, I don't like the volume controlled by the PC/ This is a problem for my laptop

Not a problem then bud .... Just do yourself a favor and NEVER listen to one then !  LOL  

What I do like is The HeadStreamer incorporates a digitally-controlled, fully analog built-in attenuator that is controlled by the computer's overall (digital) volume control.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,810 of 7,982

Quote:
Not a problem then bud .... Just do yourself a favor and NEVER listen to one then !  LOL  

What I do like is The HeadStreamer incorporates a digitally-controlled, fully analog built-in attenuator that is controlled by the computer's overall (digital) volume control.

Right, I would love to try, but it is very cumbersome, to change volume on my laptop....Have to use shortcut keys. I bet my Fiio would kick it's ass anyways
deadhorse.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #2,811 of 7,982
Whoever said the GR07 isn't fun must be listening to the wrong phone. I'm listening to Skrillex's "scary monsters and nice sprites" right now, and I'm bumping my head hard to the beat. The bass hits hard, yet it's so darn fast and controlled through the complex notes. I do think I'm beginning to appreciate dubstep.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2,812 of 7,982

Quote:
Yes, it's what I use, and they still sound amazing.

What I found to work was twisting the cable to other way before putting them in. I don't even have to use the earguides.

Dang, this actually kind of works. Two or three cable rotations in the opposite direction and they actually stay wrapped around my ears, for the most part, without the ear guides. +1

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,813 of 7,982

Quote:
Whoever said the GR07 isn't fun must be listening to the wrong phone. I'm listening to Skrillex's "scary monsters and nice sprites" right now, and I'm bumping my head hard to the beat. The bass hits hard, yet it's so darn fast and controlled through the complex notes. I do think I'm beginning to appreciate dubstep.

Yeah, dubstep and hip hop sound great on these, but for bass-light music, the GR07 sounds a bit flat and lifeless IMO. I prefer my Samson SR850 for bass-light music.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2,814 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, dubstep and hip hop sound great on these, but for bass-light music, the GR07 sounds a bit flat and lifeless IMO. I prefer my Samson SR850 for bass-light music.

An examples to check out? I find that rich acoustic music also sounds really nice, even stuff that doesn't have a lot of bass.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,815 of 7,982

Quote:
An examples to check out? I find that rich acoustic music also sounds really nice, even stuff that doesn't have a lot of bass.

Ditto. This is the song I was listening to. Not the best quality, but decent enough for you to get the idea. I just LOVE that I can listen to virtually anything with the GR07, and it'll sound great.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,817 of 7,982

Quote:

I guess one example would be anything from Sara Bareilles. It definitely doesn't sound bad by any means. In fact, I think it sounds very good. But, the sibilance (even after EQ) and mediocre soundstage make the GR07 overall sound a bit boring and fatiguing relative to my SR850 cans. This is my general impression with songs that include a lot of feminine/high-pitched vocals and not a lot of sub-bass. Other examples:

ADHD by Kendrick Lamar (the sibilance in the vocals almost overshadows everything else for me despite the bass line)
Foundations by Kate Nash (same thing here)
Forever by Drake ft. Lil Wayne, Eminem, and Kanye West (and again)

On the other hand, try listening to Wildfire by SBTRKT. It sounds ****ing amazing. Here are some other songs that I find really capitalize on the strengths of the GR07:

The Island - Pt. 2 by Pendulum
World is Empty by J. Cole
Cinema (Skrillex Remix) by Benny Benassi feat. Gary Go

There is still some sibilance in all of those songs, but I can more or less ignore it because the bass line sounds so amazing. Let me know what you think after listening to these songs.

P.S. If you REALLY want to see how low the GR07 can hit, listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_fxpBEaZg

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,818 of 7,982

Quote:
I guess one example would be anything from Sara Bareilles.

eek.gif
 Sara Bareilles sound bad on the GR07?? Go check out "Love on the Rocks" from her first album! Just listen to the cymbal crashes and the sound of her voice. Also, the strings version of "King of Anything" sounds nothing short of awesome. With time the sibilance will settle down, and your brain will adjust to the sound more.

BTW, listen to this with your GR07:

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2,819 of 7,982

Quote:
eek.gif
 Sara Bareilles sound bad on the GR07?? Go check out "Love on the Rocks" from her first album! Just listen to the cymbal crashes and the sound of her voice. Also, the strings version of "King of Anything" sounds nothing short of awesome. With time the sibilance will settle down, and your brain will adjust to the sound more.

BTW, listen to this with your GR07:

Interesting. I don't hear a significant amount of sibilance in that song you linked, so it sounds great. I have noticed that acoustic guitars sound incredibly life-like and pleasing on the GR07. I guess there are plenty of exceptions, but based on my library of high quality MP3's and FLAC files, I stand by my previous assertions.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,820 of 7,982

Quote:
Interesting. I don't hear a significant amount of sibilance in that song you linked, so it sounds great. I have noticed that acoustic guitars sound incredibly life-like and pleasing on the GR07. I guess there are plenty of exceptions, but based on my library of high quality MP3's and FLAC files, I stand by my previous assertions.

I'll bet in about a month, you'll be happy with the sound without any reservations. BTW, try some triple flange tips from the meelec M6 set (or most triple flanges that fit). It'll improve soundstage depth and realism dramatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back