VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,791 of 7,982
I'm considering to buy GR07 or TF10. Despite my huge initial interest in GR07 as a basshead I might like UE more. Do they have noticeably more bass or just a little?

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,792 of 7,982

Quote:
Well .... it is a fabulous DAC, and a great headphone amplifier. But what makes them have such a great synergy, is they both have very similiar strengths and sonic similiarities. If you think the GR07s show you great resolution now, just hook up a Headstreamer with them.  It also makes the soundstage slightly larger, and allows you to hear into the recorded space better.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy into the amping/DAC-ing thing (
biggrin.gif
). All other amps I've tried have had no noticeable increase in SQ for me. It could be that the GR07 is not a very demanding phone. My iP4 and laptop are already pretty resolving (although the laptop is a bit noisy).

Quote:
I'm considering to buy GR07 or TF10. Despite my huge initial interest in GR07 as a basshead I might like UE more. Do they have noticeably more bass or just a little?

The TF10 will provide more boom, where as the GR07 offers more rumble, clarity, and speed.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,793 of 7,982

Quote:
I'm a bit hesitant to buy into the amping/DAC-ing thing (
biggrin.gif
). All other amps I've tried have had no noticeable increase in SQ for me. It could be that the GR07 is not a very demanding phone. My iP4 and laptop are already pretty resolving (although the laptop is a bit noisy).

The TF10 will provide more boom, where as the GR07 offers more rumble, clarity, and speed.

Yup ... I found the same thing until I tried the Headstreamer.  It's DAC is just leagues better than anything being put into a portable dac/amp ....  Buy it from Amazon for $139, and return it if it doesn't blow you away .....   But if you try it, you will keep it
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,794 of 7,982

Quote:
Be really careful taking them out though, people have apparently broken the little clips before.  It's a pain in the ass to do it too...I ended up having to use a needle to get the filters themselves out.  They lost a few metal fibers though...this isn't a thing you should do unless you really need to.

Ahhh, thanks for the tips. I kind of dread having to do it. Maybe I can just hold them tip down into like 2mm or so of the solution and then dry them off the the best of my ability...

Quote:
The Grande Utopia is a decent speaker, but costs about $160,000 more than they should. They use Focal drivers, and focals definitely have their own coloration / sound signature. Most agree that Focal's tweeters are bright and edgy. May be hard to believe, but the RAAL ribbons make any traditional tweeter sound fake.

Rolling off past 16k is exactly what I am referring to.

Glad I hear it as you do lol. The problem is, that unless I hear better, I'm not really even sure what I'm missing up there... I can only think of harmonics from instruments reaching that high, maybe some aspects of drum hits but those are rendered pretty well by the GR07 as is.

Haha when you command unique technology, you command a hefty markup. I'd like to hear them and ones similar to yours regardless. That'll be a nice day when stuff like that is in the budget.
beerchug.gif
  thanks for the info.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #2,795 of 7,982

Quote:
Well .... it is a fabulous DAC, and a great headphone amplifier. But what makes them have such a great synergy, is they both have very similiar strengths and sonic similiarities. If you think the GR07s show you great resolution now, just hook up a Headstreamer with them.  It also makes the soundstage slightly larger, and allows you to hear into the recorded space better.

Did I read this right? There is "no" Volume knob? I don't get it (understand)

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #2,798 of 7,982

Im guessing the  HRT Headstreamer is PERFECT eh. haha my fiio does it perfectly for my ears too, can add a bit more bass in and it's nice and portable
Seems odd that there isn't a volume knob
Quote:
You simply use your laptop's or portable device's volume control.  It works PERFECTLY, and there is zero channel imbalance.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,799 of 7,982

Quote:
Im guessing the  HRT Headstreamer is PERFECT eh. haha my fiio does it perfectly for my ears too, can add a bit more bass in and it's nice and portable
Seems odd that there isn't a volume knob

I have heard the most recent Fiio .... Not even in the same league sir.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,800 of 7,982
Can I request someone to post their picture while wearing the GR07? I'm afraid these will be uncomfortable in my ears, so I just want to see the fit for others 
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #2,801 of 7,982
Can I request someone to post their picture while wearing the GR07? I'm afraid these will be uncomfortable in my ears, so I just want to see the fit for others :wink:

Check this out.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,802 of 7,982

Quote:

Big thanks!
From the picture, I can see that the IEM itself is rather huge... I'm asian, so my body ( including my head + ears) are quite small, I wonder if that will become a problem

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2,803 of 7,982

Quote:
Will an iPod Touch drive them properly?

Yes, it's what I use, and they still sound amazing.

Quote:
Are any of you having an issue with the earguide twisting and falling off your ear? My left one refuses to stay on my ear for more than a few minutes. It seems like it's the cable itself that is twisted, and no matter how hard to try to bend it back it just slowly moves back into its original position.

What I found to work was twisting the cable to other way before putting them in. I don't even have to use the earguides.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2,804 of 7,982
A bit off topic, but I have to recommend the Steve Hoffman remaster of Phil Collins' Face Value. Some of the songs are lame imo opinion, but it sounds soooo good with the GR07s. In the Air Tonight is a revelation - I kid you not. The part of the song where the drums really kick in is ridiculous. He also does a good rendition of Within You Without You. I wish Hoffman could remaster EVERYTHING. He's a straight-up PIMP. Ipod 5.5 with Rockbox, no amp., flac file.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #2,805 of 7,982

Actually, I think the GR07 is quite small compared to other IEMs. I've had the UM-1 and tried a lot of IEMs already, and I feel the GR07 is on the smaller side of the spectrum. Plus, there's the adjustable nozzle can optimize the fit.

Quote:
Big thanks!
From the picture, I can see that the IEM itself is rather huge... I'm asian, so my body ( including my head + ears) are quite small, I wonder if that will become a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back