VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,431 of 7,982

Quote:
Well, I've had mine for quite awhile (since before they got super-popular) and I still haven't had any problems at all with the cable, other than them turning green, which is a problem that will unfortunately happen with all of them (unless they decide to use super-pure silver, which I doubt they will).

But isn't it precisely because it's pure silver that it greens?

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #2,432 of 7,982
But isn't it precisely because it's pure silver that it greens?

Silver will always tarnish in regular conditions. I mean they could use sterling silver but that would have worse qualities for what they want...

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #2,433 of 7,982
How about the strain reliefs? Did they fix that issue, too?

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2,435 of 7,982

Quote:
hi all.
How is the cable quality of the GR07?
This is the weakest part of IEMs, for me at least. Since the cable is not removable, a damaged cable would render it unusable.
I hope someone who owns then for a long time can comment about the cable quality. 
Thanks

The other replies have mentioned the quality, which is pretty descent. They can be a little unruly, and need to be tamed by the included ear-guides (or better ones). I've heard a few people report that they turn an green-ish color over time, but I believe that's the older version.

Quote:
A bit off topic, but will these make a big impression as a first pair of higher quality IEMs in your opinion? I currently have AT-CKS50s, and they may even be fakes (I'm used to them, so they sound okay to a novice like me). I ordered the GR07s yesterday, and I'm hoping for a good first impression.

I'm not sure how it would feel doing it your way around, as I did the opposite (went from GR07s to ATH-CKS50), and instantly noticed a significant drop in performance, as I had expected. I think a few people were asked to make comparisons over on the ATH-CKS50 thread, who responded by saying that the GR07s are in a different league to the CKS50s, which I'd agree with. The CKS50 are fantastic value for money (at least, they were at their $24 price), but so are the Vsonics, meaning that the law of diminishing returns is in this case, less apparent. 

So in summary, you will not be disappointed, so long as you remember how reliant these phones are on burn-in. Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2,436 of 7,982
I think they were talking about the CKM50 model - I have the CKS50 which aren't bad according to my untrained ears. Glad to hear that they've tidied up the strain reliefs, too. I think I'll be able to rest easy tonight hahaha

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2,438 of 7,982
No, silver actually turns black when it tarnishes - it's probably something else in the silver, or what it's coating, that's turning green, most likely copper.

Tarnishing can range from yellow to brown to black depending on the degree of tarnishing/oxidation. The cable coating could be protecting it from some oxidation as well.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2,439 of 7,982

Quote:
Tarnishing can range from yellow to brown to black depending on the degree of tarnishing/oxidation. The cable coating could be protecting it from some oxidation as well.

Yeah, it protects it somewhat, but the green tends to start at the ends of the cable and work its way into the middle...so I guess they're just not sealed perfectly at each end.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,440 of 7,982

Quote:
Yeah, it protects it somewhat, but the green tends to start at the ends of the cable and work its way into the middle...so I guess they're just not sealed perfectly at each end.

Oh I knew these babies were going to turn to the 'Exorcist" Green as soon as I got em. It makes not a difference to me.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,442 of 7,982
This is true. I exaggerated. It's actually a darker Green. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #2,443 of 7,982

Quote:
Silver will always tarnish in regular conditions. I mean they could use sterling silver but that would have worse qualities for what they want...

That's what I thought.

Quote:
No, silver actually turns black when it tarnishes - it's probably something else in the silver, or what it's coating, that's turning green, most likely copper.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that...

Quote:
It's not even an ugly green. I think it looks kinda cool.

I concur... My sheathing is clear, so I can see the fine strands of wire. Not all of them have turned green, so I get silver-grey interspersed with dull green and bright green flecks. It's pretty awesome.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2,444 of 7,982
Happy days! Coming from cx300-IIs I am quite loving the neutralness of these greatly! I have never owned a BA IEM, so I must ask, how much is the attack speed increased?

In terms of string seperation on guitars, I am not sure how the original pickups->amp sounded, but I know personally with my setup, if i strum I can hear each string distinctly, this though is quite easily influenced by pickup. so for the end of the line (the IEM in this case) would a quicker IEM be more suited or would it need to be more along the lines of the a larger soundstage?

Or should I just shut up and listen to my music :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back