VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,416 of 7,982

Quote:
hi all.
How is the cable quality of the GR07?
This is the weakest part of IEMs, for me at least. Since the cable is not removable, a damaged cable would render it unusable.
I hope someone who owns then for a long time can comment about the cable quality. 
Thanks

Truly, The quality of the cables has never been an issue. They are nice and strong. No Worries in the area.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,418 of 7,982

Quote:
Some people have had them fail on the side of the earpiece, but I personally have not had any problems at all.

Good point. Also I don;t know if it's an issue now, but the strain reliefs would loosen. Most Just put a dab of Super glue on each, and alo it would be my guess that this also may have led to some failures, as there was not that extra strain protection

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #2,419 of 7,982

Quote:
The stock ear guides are possibly the worst I have ever used. Somebody mentioned the phonak ones, they're good... even better (imo), are the meelec ones, which cost a mere $2.99.

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/393.htm

So I found that it wasn't very comfortable using the GR07s having lost one of my earguides so I took the plunge and bought a pair of these. I didn't really want to deal with international shipping so I ordered from advancedmp3players.co.uk for 5GBP + 2GBP shipping. Definitely a huge premium to pay but nobody else seems to stock them in the UK. The phonak earguides were selling for 15GBP in packs of 3.

So far, I think they are a bit more comfortable than the standard guides but as someone pointed out, the cables are slightly too big so they have a tendency to pop out in my pockets. Looks like you can't have everything.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,420 of 7,982

Quote:
hi all.
This is the weakest part of IEMs, for me at least. Since the cable is not removable, a damaged cable would render it unusable.
I hope someone who owns then for a long time can comment about the cable quality. 
Thanks

It's quite good. The cable is pretty thick, and the strain reliefs are beefy. On mine, at least, it tends to be pretty springy as well.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2,421 of 7,982
Wish the YAMAHA EPH-100 had this cable
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,422 of 7,982
A bit off topic, but will these make a big impression as a first pair of higher quality IEMs in your opinion? I currently have AT-CKS50s, and they may even be fakes (I'm used to them, so they sound okay to a novice like me). I ordered the GR07s yesterday, and I'm hoping for a good first impression.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,423 of 7,982
A bit off topic, but will these make a big impression as a first pair of higher quality IEMs in your opinion? I currently have AT-CKS50s, and they may even be fakes (I'm used to them, so they sound okay to a novice like me). I ordered the GR07s yesterday, and I'm hoping for a good first impression.

They're not going to come bearing flowers, they won't cook you dinner, or open a car door for you.. but they sound pretty damn good for the price.

wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,424 of 7,982

Quote:

Not off-topic at all, as long as it concerns the GR07 it's fine!

But they may or may not have a big impression on you, for me it was kind of "meh" for the first few seconds but I grew to like them fairly quickly.  They improve over a very large period of time too (probably take days to weeks), whether through actual break-in or just your mind getting used to the sound.  So be sure to keep them for awhile to give them a fair chance!

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,425 of 7,982
No dinner? That's a deal breaker right there.
wink.gif
  I'm just a bit nervous, that's all. They are very highly regarded everyplace I've seen them reviewed and I think they are what I'm looking for (good clarity and detail from low to high, non-fatiguing). Their neutrality strikes me as being eq-friendly, but I'm not sure. To me, this would be a good thing because of the wide spectrum of recording/sound engineering quality in music.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,426 of 7,982

Quote:
No dinner? That's a deal breaker right there.
wink.gif
  I'm just a bit nervous, that's all. They are very highly regarded everyplace I've seen them reviewed and I think they are what I'm looking for (good clarity and detail from low to high, non-fatiguing). Their neutrality strikes me as being eq-friendly, but I'm not sure. To me, this would be a good thing because of the wide spectrum of recording/sound engineering quality in music.

They do indeed respond quite well to EQing.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2,427 of 7,982

Quote:
hi all.
Thanks

I've had no issues with the durability of the cable. I've owned the GR07 for about half a year now. The only complaint I have about the cable is that it somewhat retains its shape from being folded up in the original box. It doesn't fully straighten out. But this hardly matters to me.

The one build quality issue I've experienced (and seen other owners experience) is the poor adhesiveness of the glue connecting the tiny plastic strain reliefs on either earpiece. You should be able to fix this easily with a tiny drop of superglue, but be careful. I managed to somehow insulate the wire leading to one of the drivers (by gluing) when the strain relief came loose. I sent it back and got it fixed for a minimal shipping cost, so no big deal.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #2,428 of 7,982
How long have you had your gr07s? Have they been made aware of this defect? If so, have they taken any action? I'll have to be gentle with these I guess.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2,430 of 7,982

Quote:
How long have you had your gr07s? Have they been made aware of this defect? If so, have they taken any action? I'll have to be gentle with these I guess.

Well, I've had mine for quite awhile (since before they got super-popular) and I still haven't had any problems at all with the cable, other than them turning green, which is a problem that will unfortunately happen with all of them (unless they decide to use super-pure silver, which I doubt they will).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back