VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,156 of 7,982
The GR07's do improve with amping, but it is not a necessity - They work really well from pretty much everything I've tried
biggrin.gif

@ZimmerX do you know when the GR02's/R02 Pro II will be coming? I'd love to get a pair; sadly I got my GR07 before you even started offering them - I was very tempted to order a 2nd set from you until I set my eyes on some SM3's
redface.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #1,157 of 7,982

Quote:
The GR07's do improve with amping, but it is not a necessity - They work really well from pretty much everything I've tried
biggrin.gif

@ZimmerX do you know when the GR02's/R02 Pro II will be coming? I'd love to get a pair; sadly I got my GR07 before you even started offering them - I was very tempted to order a 2nd set from you until I set my eyes on some SM3's
redface.gif

So true! 

They're in the works, however we have a few other manufacturers coming first 
wink.gif
 So we want to get them in first before another batch from Vsonic is purchased. If we see a higher demand for them then we will push to get them sooner. Great choice on the SM3's; always wanted to try a pair of them. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #1,158 of 7,982

Quote:
Interesting.  I had reported some early "fitment" issues with the GR07s, and part of it was due to that distance between the end of the ear guide and the top of the IEM itself.  I found that about 1/4" distance was good, but it would change slightly as I adjusted the cable -- especially if I had it around the back of my head.

Anyhow, I eventually stopped using the ear guide(s) altogether, and things have worked out much better for me :)

X2, I do still put the Ear guides in one in a while, and I like them, but more of a bother than what it's worth for me

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #1,159 of 7,982
Great instrument separation and detail is you want to hear what the GR07 can do

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,160 of 7,982
So I love my gr07s and I have a stupid question that has came about due to a stupid potential mistake that I may have made. In my burgundy gr07 case (the original shipping case) I leave my 07s and cowon s9 and while cleaning my car I left a pretty strong rare earth magnet sitting on top of the case which contained the cowon and 07s both of which were off. The magnet is about the diameter of a fifty cent piece and was left on top for about 5 to 15 minutes. Will this cause any issues with either the 07s or the s9? The magnet was strong enough to pull metal from inside the box to the top lid when the magnet was on top of the box lid.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,161 of 7,982
So my Jays tips came in today.

I started with the foam tips. Out of the package they looked smaller than Comply and Shure tips with less foam past the inner tube than both. They went on the nozzle fairly easily and had about the same size bore as the nozzle so looked promising. Sonically though I did notice a slight attenuation of the treble, I have not decided if this from the foam or possibly the seal. On a positive note I do think these will have the least amount of noise conduction. So far they are the best foam tips I have tried but I hate the loss of that treble energy.

The large silicones are almost to big, but if I fully insert them do they ever bring out the bass! They don't seem to mess with the treble but I will have to do more A/B testing. They seem to help the sound stage a bit as well along with instrument seperation.

I am not sure either are enough of an improvement to justify the cost of the tips with shipping but they may be. I will use them for a few days and post some more comments. If they have grown on me I think I will sell some of the extra pairs (silicone) to recover some cost and help make these slightly more affordable for some other head-fi members.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,163 of 7,982

Quote:
So my Jays tips came in today.

I started with the foam tips. Out of the package they looked smaller than Comply and Shure tips with less foam past the inner tube than both. They went on the nozzle fairly easily and had about the same size bore as the nozzle so looked promising. Sonically though I did notice a slight attenuation of the treble, I have not decided if this from the foam or possibly the seal. On a positive note I do think these will have the least amount of noise conduction. So far they are the best foam tips I have tried but I hate the loss of that treble energy.

The large silicones are almost to big, but if I fully insert them do they ever bring out the bass! They don't seem to mess with the treble but I will have to do more A/B testing. They seem to help the sound stage a bit as well along with instrument seperation.

I am not sure either are enough of an improvement to justify the cost of the tips with shipping but they may be. I will use them for a few days and post some more comments. If they have grown on me I think I will sell some of the extra pairs (silicone) to recover some cost and help make these slightly more affordable for some other head-fi members.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Let me see if I understand you...the foam tips negatively impact the sound? How comfortable is it compared to the shure olives? 

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,164 of 7,982
I will listen some more but intitial impressions I would say yes they negatively affect the sound by reducing the treble but less than he Shure tips. The olives have more foam compression so may be more comfortable for some but I thought they are pretty compatible comfort wise. It is to early to say which is more durable. Let me do some more listening though and more serious A/B testing between them and he original tips. BTW I think they are less changing in the sound than the Sony tips.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,165 of 7,982

Quote:
I will listen some more but intitial impressions I would say yes they negatively affect the sound by reducing the treble but less than he Shure tips. The olives have more foam compression so may be more comfortable for some but I thought they are pretty compatible comfort wise. It is to early to say which is more durable. Let me do some more listening though and more serious A/B testing between them and he original tips. BTW I think they are less changing in the sound than the Sony tips.

Interesting. Well if you come to like the foam tips, I'll be happy to buy the extra(s) from you. Coming from the Shures, I miss the foamies. The sponges that came with the GR07 just don't cut it

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #1,166 of 7,982

Quote:
So I love my gr07s and I have a stupid question that has came about due to a stupid potential mistake that I may have made. In my burgundy gr07 case (the original shipping case) I leave my 07s and cowon s9 and while cleaning my car I left a pretty strong rare earth magnet sitting on top of the case which contained the cowon and 07s both of which were off. The magnet is about the diameter of a fifty cent piece and was left on top for about 5 to 15 minutes. Will this cause any issues with either the 07s or the s9? The magnet was strong enough to pull metal from inside the box to the top lid when the magnet was on top of the box lid.

"Will this cause any issues with either the 07s or the s9? "

I don't think so... If it were "on" than might be... Did  you listen to your system? Share the results ?

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #1,167 of 7,982

Quote:
Great instrument separation and detail is you want to hear what the GR07 can do

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. I will download the original, I believe it will sound much better as FLAC.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #1,168 of 7,982
I bite the bullet on the GR07s two days ago via Lendmeurears as they're just next door in Singapore. Apparently they'll be sending me the last unit of the older burgundy packaging that they have. Quite happy with that! Can't wait for them to get here!
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,170 of 7,982
Swapped some tips with Freefallr4545: Jays silicone for Phonak silicone.  I still prefer the real Sony hybrids, since drums sound the best with them but the Phonaks are probably my second favorite.  They are almost as comfortable as the hybrids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back