VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,036 of 7,982
I prefer the sound of the GR07's over the IE8's as well as the other iem's that I have (see list in signature).  There are others here that have had both as well.  dweaver your turn to chime in.

Quote:
Sweet, now I'm torn between saving money with GR07 and sampling some of the top of the line with the IE8s ... why are those diminishing returns so TEMPTING!!!

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #1,037 of 7,982
Both the EX600 and GR07 seem to be the current FOTM for value, offering much of what flagships have to offer at a budget pricetag.

Since I posted my impressions at the EX600 thread, I would like to know the differences between these 2 IEMs. I liked the EX600 after a very quick audition - found the highs actually transparent and not sibilant, contrary to my original fears. Could anyone give me a quick breakdown of the differences between both IEMs? Does the GR07 offer as much of a soundstage as the EX600, or with as much depth? Is the overall tone dryer than the EX600? These are my main two concerns, which I hope you guys can allay for me.

Seeing Lendmeurears is based here, I can actually get a fantastic price for the GR07, so I am about to pull the trigger. I have enough left in my budget to get a Clip+ if I buy the GR07, but not with a EX600. That said, I did enjoy the EX600 pretty much with Jazz out of my very crappy phone as a source.

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,039 of 7,982
Doesn't LMUE have a locker in some shopping mall that has the GR07 available for auditioning? Look on their website for details and make your way there to hear the GR07 for yourself --- that should be the best thing to do.

From what I remember during my short-ish time with the EX600, it's a bit more laid-back (relaxed and smooth, rather than in terms of mid-recession and treble roll-off) than the GR07. To me, the GR07 has more immediacy, but has a very slightly warmer tuning. To me, the two are about equal in terms of detail articulation and transparency.

I can't tell you much more than that, since I mostly concentrated on the EX1000 (listened to them together against my GR07) during my audition, but there are people have had significantly more time with both of them and can tell you more.

Quote:
Both the EX600 and GR07 seem to be the current FOTM for value, offering much of what flagships have to offer at a budget pricetag.

Since I posted my impressions at the EX600 thread, I would like to know the differences between these 2 IEMs. I liked the EX600 after a very quick audition - found the highs actually transparent and not sibilant, contrary to my original fears. Could anyone give me a quick breakdown of the differences between both IEMs? Does the GR07 offer as much of a soundstage as the EX600, or with as much depth? Is the overall tone dryer than the EX600? These are my main two concerns, which I hope you guys can allay for me.

Seeing Lendmeurears is based here, I can actually get a fantastic price for the GR07, so I am about to pull the trigger. I have enough left in my budget to get a Clip+ if I buy the GR07, but not with a EX600. That said, I did enjoy the EX600 pretty much with Jazz out of my very crappy phone as a source.

Thanks!

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #1,040 of 7,982
I just can't get over how beautiful these phones sound. I'm listening to the live version of Ingrid Michaelson's 'The Way I Am," and it's almost as if she's singing directly to me in a private concert. I only wish that I had found these gems after a long multiple IEM journey, much like dweaver and ericp10. I've never loved an inanimate object before, but I think I might be coming close to that because of the emotion that the GR07 transmits to my ears. If my ears were more seasoned, I feel like I would appreciate these things more. I'm contemplating writing up a review from a non-audiophile perspective so more people like myself can read it and be persuaded to go out and get them pronto

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,041 of 7,982
After a trip to Jaben HK, I am now a proud owner of these 
etysmile.gif
 And they definitely do not disappoint

Price was great as well having nabbed it for less than 150 converted!
And got to meet Wilson as well there.

As for the EX1000, they definitely blew me away and I would prefer them over the GR07 in terms of SQ overall, but the GR07 is more of an all rounder and works for any type of music, and only 1/3 the price! Unbeatable.

They go side by side with my UM3x and those 2 will probably be left in my collection if I start selling off stuff (Thinking of selling my B2's already)

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #1,042 of 7,982
Sweet, now I'm torn between saving money with GR07 and sampling some of the top of the line with the IE8s ... why are those diminishing returns so TEMPTING!!!

I'm with poimandres on this one. Having owned both I much prefer the GR07 over the IE8, I also prefer them over the SM3, and MTPC. In this case more money doesn't mean better sound or build quality. I'm not saying the GR07 is better technically as I can not really quantify that, but my ears prefer the sound of the GR07 more and I think an argument can be made they are at least comparable on a technical level to the IEM's mentioned.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #1,043 of 7,982
Hmmmmmmm, so is the Clip+ enough to get the most out of the GR07? I don't plan on getting a new DAP/amp combo, and dont want a phone that really requires an amp to sound its best. I do like the higher impedance of the GR07, I'm guessing it paints a blacker background compared to more sensitive IEMs? I love a black background.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #1,044 of 7,982
It will do fine. The GR07 doesn't benefit much from amping because it is output limited. It's impedance is a bit higher but that just means a tad more volume. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,045 of 7,982
@Inks: I read in another thread that you were giving them another shot. Any new impressions?

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm, so is the Clip+ enough to get the most out of the GR07? I don't plan on getting a new DAP/amp combo, and dont want a phone that really requires an amp to sound its best. I do like the higher impedance of the GR07, I'm guessing it paints a blacker background compared to more sensitive IEMs? I love a black background.

I feel like they do this pretty well and its one of the things I like most about them.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,046 of 7,982
Nope, not anytime soon. I want to have the FXT90 and FAD A1 (they're on loan) in hand before I give them that second chance. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #1,047 of 7,982

Quote:
It will do fine. The GR07 doesn't benefit much from amping because it is output limited. It's impedance is a bit higher but that just means a tad more volume. 

Hi mate, is that not opamp dependent? i.e different setup`s within your amp? There is a difference in general with my P3 compared to my newly acquired D2, D2 stock more bass and less detail with my W4`s. Haven`t A/B`d the 07`s yet, just my W4`s.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,049 of 7,982

Quote:
Nope, not anytime soon. I want to have the FXT90 and FAD A1 (they're on loan) in hand before I give them that second chance. 

That's a comparison I'm looking forward to. Hope to see it in this thread eventually.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,050 of 7,982

Quote:
Read this post by mvw2. 

His post makes sense, you can colour or not depending on the amp. I was only asking due to you saying the 07 does not benefit from an amp which is a little vague considering you can alter the sound to ones taste.

Just an observation, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back