VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #871 of 7,982
After reading through this long thread, I am tempted to replace my IE8 with this GR07.   What will you guys say the difference will be when comparing IE8 and GR07, in terms of sound signature and quality? I love the excellent instrument separation and precise sound staging of the IE8, but the veiled mids and vocal made me prefer the DBA-02 for general use.

I basically listen to all genre but got quite a number of classical tracks, IE8 gives me more fun when listening to them than DBA-02.  Will GR07 be capable in taking its place?  (Well, preciseness and sound stage wise)

Also, I noticed that GR07 is 50 ohm impedance... would my Sanse Fuze or Clip+ be able to drive it nicely without amp?

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #872 of 7,982

Quote:
After reading through this long thread, I am tempted to replace my IE8 with this GR07.   What will you guys say the difference will be when comparing IE8 and GR07, in terms of sound signature and quality? I love the excellent instrument separation and precise sound staging of the IE8, but the veiled mids and vocal made me prefer the DBA-02 for general use.

I basically listen to all genre but got quite a number of classical tracks, IE8 gives me more fun when listening to them than DBA-02.  Will GR07 be capable in taking its place?  (Well, preciseness and sound stage wise)

Also, I noticed that GR07 is 50 ohm impedance... would my Sanse Fuze or Clip+ be able to drive it nicely without amp?

I dont think GR07 will be a good match for you.
Check Radius DDM2, this are very nice for classical music.
Also now is best time to get this as they are on sale from Dimitri at MA

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #873 of 7,982

If you like the mid-bass hump of the IE8 then the GR07 will not be for you and something like DDM/DDM2 might be another option. If on the other hand if you want deep textured bass minus the mid-bass hump along with unrecessed/veiled mids, and treble that is clearer and at least as extended, and a sound stage slightly narrower GET THE GR07!

For me it addressed every issue I had with the IE8 sonically and given your comment about using the DBA2 I think it could give you he best of both your IEM's.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #874 of 7,982
I don't find your conclusions hard to believe. Just look at my signature and how I rank the dynamics (and it's based more on preference too than which is the best technically). I'm glad I'm standing alone on this. And I actually enjoy listening to the EX600 more than the EX1000, although the latter is about 10 percent better in sound quality.

Quote:
And so the story goes... first my SM3's, and now, my EX1000's. Yes, you read that correct. It's been next to impossible for me to decide between the GR07 and EX1000, and while my ears certainly do hear subtle improvements over the GR07 (and I do mean subtle), for me to say that I'm willing to pay nearly twice the cost of the GR07's (as of this writing) for said subtle improvements the EX1000 offers my ears is outside of my reasoning. For all intents and purposes, I'm more than content with the GR07's. Nonetheless, I've yet to compare them to a few other soon to arrive in-ears (CK100, K2 SP), and, as always, I'll be the first to admit whether or not either one takes the place of the GR07.

As it stands however, the EX1000's always have and still do retain my absolute highest merit as far as universals are concerned, based solely upon my personal experience of course. I have no trouble believing that the EX1000 may very well be the current end all be all of universals, but because at the end of the day it's always down to preference, I've also no trouble believing the GR07's may offer listeners the very same contentment. I've said it time and time again, the GR07's make the point of diminishing returns blatantly obvious, and even until today, I have a hard time believing my ears. They are just that good IMHO. Now... where was I? Right. Back to nirvana I go...
etysmile.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #875 of 7,982

Quote:
If you like the mid-bass hump of the IE8 then the GR07 will not be for you and something like DDM/DDM2 might be another option. If on the other hand if you want deep textured bass minus the mid-bass hump along with unrecessed/veiled mids, and treble that is clearer and at least as extended, and a sound stage slightly narrower GET THE GR07!

For me it addressed every issue I had with the IE8 sonically and given your comment about using the DBA2 I think it could give you he best of both your IEM's.

X2

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #876 of 7,982

Thanks mate, sounds like that's what I am looking for. I quite like the low end bass of IE8 but not the mid bass hump. That hump makes the mid's and vocal veiled. Not as crisp as the DBA02.

The GR07 sounds promising and seems like it is quite what I want. Although I asked about classical music, I am actually looking for a more universal IEM for all purpose which could give the balance between IE8 and the DBA02.

It's actually for my wife who's quite a bass head. She loves the preciseness and "openness" of the IE8 but I found it too veiled on the mid. I then fall in love with the DBA02 but still want some low bass punch when listening some music (thus i still use the IE8 occasionally, though my wife use it daily now) . Looks like GR07 is the one I need to replace the IE8!

It is easy to drive using portable player on the go? (50 ohm)

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #879 of 7,982
Forgot to mention I also am an IPhone 4 user and have no issues listening normally at 1/4 to 1/3 volume. Also I listen to close 25% classical music and am very happy with the GR07 and don't get me started when it comes to electric guitars and drumkits :).

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #881 of 7,982
What video?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #882 of 7,982
GR07 landed today, 24hrs from purchase to dubstep, sorry doorstep. 

Klipsch large tips, will try some Westones but for now will do.

Initial impression, have promise. Treble a little grainy but to be expected. Noise over weekend to break them a bit.

Arnej - Free of you, nice little track for testing. Flac conversion to 320 mp3. Very nice indeed.

Will post something have more constructive after a few days. 

£119 seems a bargain.

Ed: Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation (Dj Gius Remix). sledgehammer bass, more fun than mtpc. Have to take off now, only been home an hour. Best communicate with wife.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #883 of 7,982
Looking forward to your comments :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #884 of 7,982
GR07 ordered today for just under £110 as I got a 10% discount kindly emailed to me :)

should be here Tuesday=- will post my thoughts

hope to re-invigorate my use of my X1060 !! - I haven't used it in 9 months !! what a waste

Iphone 4's sort of much more convenient !!

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #885 of 7,982
GR07 ordered today for just under £110 as I got a 10% discount kindly emailed to me :)

should be here Tuesday=- will post my thoughts

hope to re-invigorate my use of my X1060 !! - I haven't used it in 9 months !! what a waste

Iphone 4's sort of much more convenient !!

Then I guess the bad news for you is that they sound great with the iPhone 4. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back