VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #586 of 7,982

Quite the contrary to what your're suggesting/implying: I have no issues stating that a (much) cheaper IEM is better than a (much) more expensive one and, in fact - as I've said on numerous occasions - I recommend the EX600s to most people rather than (the [much] more expensive) EX1000s.

It seems quite possible that the GR07 might be a better cheaper recommendation to the EX1000 than the EX600. While not being quite as inexpensive, it seems to have more general pluses than the EX600. I'm only going by second hand information in that assessment as I haven't heard the EX600 personally, but you no doubt have no issue with that approach.

Believe it or not I have no "fascination with the GR07 inferiority to the Sony offerings"

My mistake, obviously. This is a thread for impressions (of which you have none) and appreciation (which seems to be lacking, all things considered) of the GR07, so I figured something was driving your interest. And as you clarify, it's a desire for accuracy and to put hype in it's place.

FWIW, I think the enjoyment of the GR07 has moved beyond pure hype. It's well beyond a flavour of the month. A growing enthusiastic following does not necessarily mean fanboism or some sort of group think phenomenon at work.

In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote that last paragraph with GR07's in my ears, so I might be under their thrall and therefore coerced into writing it.

Would I like to try the GR07? Sure, but so far reports by those whose ears I trust, and who have also tried the EX600 and/or EX1000, have not made me pull the trigger. 

I would like to try the EX600 myself. Though like you I'm hesitant. If I found it at a really good price to my door, I might pull the trigger.

(Of course I'm not trolling the EX600 threads either, so there's that...)

"At least one doesn't need a password to use Sony IEMs, so I can't fault the EX1000 there!"  -- Good, at least there seems to be something not so negative/wrong, after all, with the EX1000s.

Pretty well everybody here has stated that the EX1000 is superior to the GR07, so it seems like it has plenty going for it.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #587 of 7,982
There's no hype of flavor of the month on the GR07. Even MOST of those WHO HAVE HEARD BOTH and say the Sony is better technically still agree that the Vsong is a very very good IEM (and a better value for the buck).

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #588 of 7,982
Quote:
Does anyone else here use the gr07's with a cowon s9?

If so what volume level do you normally listen at. For me it is around 31 with newer albums and most of my older albums are around 35.

On my J3 (essentially the newer version of the S9) I listen at about the same levels if I'm out and about...and in the mid to high 20s at home in my quiet office.  It's pretty much the same for all of my headphones.  I think the Soundmagic e30 is the only one I've found that needs less volume from the source itself.  They appear to be a little more efficient.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #589 of 7,982

Quote:
It seems quite possible that the GR07 might be a better cheaper recommendation to the EX1000 than the EX600. While not being quite as inexpensive, it seems to have more general pluses than the EX600. I'm only going by second hand information in that assessment as I haven't heard the EX600 personally, but you no doubt have no issue with that approach.

If money is an issue, it does seem like the EX600 / GR07 is a better recommendation than the EX1000 - definitely, from quite a few reports, even if I haven't heard the GR07.

As for the EX600 vs GR07, I've no idea as I haven't heard the GR07, but I do know that the EX600 is an excellent sounding IEM, not that far from the EX1000, and (at least in the USA) cheaper than the GR07, and in some cases (from Amazon) you can try it out and if not convinced, get your money back.

Quote:
My mistake, obviously. This is a thread for impressions (of which you have none) and appreciation (which seems to be lacking, all things considered) of the GR07, so I figured something was driving your interest. And as you clarify, it's a desire for accuracy and to put hype in it's place.

Yes.

Quote:
FWIW, I think the enjoyment of the GR07 has moved beyond pure hype. It's well beyond a flavour of the month. A growing enthusiastic following does not necessarily mean fanboism or some sort of group think phenomenon at work.

In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote that last paragraph with GR07's in my ears, so I might be under their thrall and therefore coerced into writing it.

:)  -- I'm sure the GR07 is a fine IEM; reports by ClieOS, Esanthosh & Shotgunshane seen to point that way.

Quote:
I would like to try the EX600 myself. Though like you I'm hesitant. If I found it at a really good price to my door, I might pull the trigger.

Like I said, if you're based in the USA, you can try the EX600 (from Amazon) and get your money back and only pay return shipping costs (which in the US are usually quite 'cheap'). I can't do the same with the GR07s (specially in Europe), and as you can see I'm selling my EX600 & the even better sounding MDR-7550s because I'm pretty happy with my EX1000, ES3X, CKM99 & EX500 (already a luxury to have 4 IEMs!), but I'd sill like to try the GR07s out of curiosity.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #590 of 7,982
Just been shifting through my music collection, found my old 'Ultrasone Test CD' in FLAC format...forgot I had this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQRrCVosJs sounds incredible on my GR07's
redface.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #591 of 7,982
Upon request here are my thoughts comparing the GR07’s with the JVC HA-FX700’s…

As far as fit and isolation, the Vsonics win hands down in this area.  The isolation differences are not substantial but the JVC does offer less of it.  Fit is the big difference, not that the JVC’s fit bad but rather they are pretty heavy, causing fatigue and becoming uncomfortable after long listening session; whereas the GR07’s are light weight and disappear in the ear.  I think the JVC’s have a better cable in that it rolls up and stores easily without tangling, except it is a two piece which I can’t stand since without the extension it is too short and with the extension too long. 

Comparing these two sound wise was very interesting, especially since the GR07 is more monitor like and accurate in presentation and the JVC’s are… well it takes a lot more words to get to the bottom of the JVC presentation.  I’ll just start by saying it is unique, enveloping, sensual and not always accurate for placement cues and sound staging.  The JVC’s wooden housing and wooden drivers really do some beautiful and strange things.  More on that to follow. 

The FX700 obviously has greater bass emphasis than the GR07.  This bass helps add heft and weight to notes providing excellent instrument realism.  The FX700 also has very prominent treble which helps to provide a great sense of detail but can produce some very sharp notes.  In contrast the mids can obviously sound recessed on some songs, sometime less so in others but where they do sound recessed can affect vocal timbre.  The GR07 is more balanced across the spectrum but in contrast have much more forward mids and (believe it or not) refined and smoother treble.  This is of course in direct comparison with the JVC’s and I now have 100 hours on the Vsonics.

To really explain these differences in these phones, it is less about bass, mid and treble sound signatures but more about how those affect timbre, soundstage and placement cues.  This is where it gets interesting.  I used 4 songs and I’ll refer to them as song #’s 1, 2, 3 and 4 for simplicity’s sake.

In song #1, The JVC’s place you further from the stage than the Vsonics; so while all instruments were further away from you, cymbals (due to the brighter treble), backing vocals and bass lines would jump out towards you.  While the soundstage with JVC’s was wide, it was also enveloping due to these pieces of the music jumping forward and around you.  It was perhaps a less accurate presentation than the Vsonics but it was more sensual, if that makes sense.  In contrast the GR07 had more realistic instrument placement and cues.  Cymbals were not brought forward but placed appropriately behind other instruments and backing vocals were placed further back than the JVC’s, next to the lead singer if not quite behind.

In song #3, both had great crunch and bite with electric guitars, however where the GR07 places them front and center, the JVC’s sound noticeably more distant.  The distortion guitar in this song is very mid oriented and it is one of my tests for how recessed mids may be.  The GR07 also appropriately places instruments with drums behind the singer and guitars but the JVC’s have a hall like presentation with reverb , placing you further away from the performance with certain treble and bass based queues jumping forward and surrounding you.

In songs #2 and #4, the GR07 once again displays more realistic instrument placement, whereas the JVC’s have more noticeable heft and weight to notes helping to sell the realism of the instruments (especially acoustic and bass guitar), except in vocals which sound less realistic in song #4 due to their recessed mids.  The JVC’s at times could sound very intimate, as if you were amongst the musicians and the Vsonics placed everything with more forward projection, while still remaining close to the staging.

I think the JVC’s definitely earn their rep as kings of instrument timbre and envelope you with hall like reverb that can be intimate and spacious at the same time but sound staging and instrument placement aren’t as accurate when compared to the GR07, which also does vocals (in general) and drums (as a whole) better than the FX700.  For me, at this moment in time, I find these two phones about equal in preference but for mostly different reasons.  We’ll see if that changes over time. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #592 of 7,982
I ordered these last friday and I CAN NOT wait to receive them after reading all the high praise on this board. Just a question.... I ordered them from lenmeurears on friday and I was wondering was I supposed to be sent some sort of confirmation email or something? Or a tracking number? So far nothing from them.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #593 of 7,982
Great and seemingly fair assessment of the GR07 and FX700 (which is based on memory for me). And that's why I said earlier - I believe on this thread - that I put the GR07 slightly ahead of the FX700. But it's about preference and not about performance at this level. Technically, I still think the FX700 is the best universal I've ever owned (W4 coming close but not quite there as a total package for me). It's nitpicking so much that it is virtually a tie. But preference-wise (and probably because my favorite instrument is the drums), there is just something about the GR07 that I haven't heard in any other universal. No universal I've heard has rendered drums and percussion instruments better to my ears than the GR07. Yes, EX1000 gets it on acoustic guitar, piano and strings slightly; FX700 gets it on overall timbre and bass, but the GR07 gets it on drums, electric guitars and just an overall nice balance of the complete sound spectrum.  Again, nice impressions.

Quote:
Upon request here are my thoughts comparing the GR07’s with the JVC HA-FX700’s…

As far as fit and isolation, the Vsonics win hands down in this area.  The isolation differences are not substantial but the JVC does offer less of it.  Fit is the big difference, not that the JVC’s fit bad but rather they are pretty heavy, causing fatigue and becoming uncomfortable after long listening session; whereas the GR07’s are light weight and disappear in the ear.  I think the JVC’s have a better cable in that it rolls up and stores easily without tangling, except it is a two piece which I can’t stand since without the extension it is too short and with the extension too long. 

Comparing these two sound wise was very interesting, especially since the GR07 is more monitor like and accurate in presentation and the JVC’s are… well it takes a lot more words to get to the bottom of the JVC presentation.  I’ll just start by saying it is unique, enveloping, sensual and not always accurate for placement cues and sound staging.  The JVC’s wooden housing and wooden drivers really do some beautiful and strange things.  More on that to follow. 

The FX700 obviously has greater bass emphasis than the GR07.  This bass helps add heft and weight to notes providing excellent instrument realism.  The FX700 also has very prominent treble which helps to provide a great sense of detail but can produce some very sharp notes.  In contrast the mids can obviously sound recessed on some songs, sometime less so in others but where they do sound recessed can affect vocal timbre.  The GR07 is more balanced across the spectrum but in contrast have much more forward mids and (believe it or not) refined and smoother treble.  This is of course in direct comparison with the JVC’s and I now have 100 hours on the Vsonics.

To really explain these differences in these phones, it is less about bass, mid and treble sound signatures but more about how those affect timbre, soundstage and placement cues.  This is where it gets interesting.  I used 4 songs and I’ll refer to them as song #’s 1, 2, 3 and 4 for simplicity’s sake.

In song #1, The JVC’s place you further from the stage than the Vsonics; so while all instruments were further away from you, cymbals (due to the brighter treble), backing vocals and bass lines would jump out towards you.  While the soundstage with JVC’s was wide, it was also enveloping due to these pieces of the music jumping forward and around you.  It was perhaps a less accurate presentation than the Vsonics but it was more sensual, if that makes sense.  In contrast the GR07 had more realistic instrument placement and cues.  Cymbals were not brought forward but placed appropriately behind other instruments and backing vocals were placed further back than the JVC’s, next to the lead singer if not quite behind.

In song #3, both had great crunch and bite with electric guitars, however where the GR07 places them front and center, the JVC’s sound noticeably more distant.  The distortion guitar in this song is very mid oriented and it is one of my tests for how recessed mids may be.  The GR07 also appropriately places instruments with drums behind the singer and guitars but the JVC’s have a hall like presentation with reverb , placing you further away from the performance with certain treble and bass based queues jumping forward and surrounding you.

In songs #2 and #4, the GR07 once again displays more realistic instrument placement, whereas the JVC’s have more noticeable heft and weight to notes helping to sell the realism of the instruments (especially acoustic and bass guitar), except in vocals which sound less realistic in song #4 due to their recessed mids.  The JVC’s at times could sound very intimate, as if you were amongst the musicians and the Vsonics placed everything with more forward projection, while still remaining close to the staging.

I think the JVC’s definitely earn their rep as kings of instrument timbre and envelope you with hall like reverb that can be intimate and spacious at the same time but sound staging and instrument placement aren’t as accurate when compared to the GR07, which also does vocals (in general) and drums (as a whole) better than the FX700.  For me, at this moment in time, I find these two phones about equal in preference but for mostly different reasons.  We’ll see if that changes over time. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #594 of 7,982

Quote:
I ordered these last friday and I CAN NOT wait to receive them after reading all the high praise on this board. Just a question.... I ordered them from lenmeurears on friday and I was wondering was I supposed to be sent some sort of confirmation email or something? Or a tracking number? So far nothing from them.

My tracking information came later. Nothing to be concerned about with them...

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #596 of 7,982

A little something for you jazzheads that sounds wonderful through the GR07

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #597 of 7,982
I have a sneaking feeling I might be on my way out. So just in case, to everyone, keep enjoying your GR07! They really are a fantastic product for the cost. :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #598 of 7,982
Shotgunshane, MANY thanks!
It's probably one of the first impressions that I read from someone that actually like my kind of music!
I'm thinking of bying GR07 in the coming days... or should I wait for this V2?

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #599 of 7,982
There's no hype of flavor of the month on the GR07. Even MOST of those WHO HAVE HEARD BOTH and say the Sony is better technically still agree that the Vsong is a very very good IEM (and a better value for the buck).

This is a surprise. The GR07 isn't considered a FOTM?

I really thought it was, considering its bloom in popularity and how it has managed to completely unhinged the DBA-02 in the King of Bang-for-Buck.

Or is that just me thinking that way?

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #600 of 7,982
i have both ex600 and r07. the latter is clearly superior in almost everything except for intimateness in presentation where the sonys excel. gr07 is not only the best bang/buck but the best earphone under $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back