VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #106 of 7,982

Quote:
Perhaps it's not the best place to ask, but where can we go from here? Anything that's as neutral on all front as these, except being less sibilant?

Price is unimportant to me. (except if it's FI-BA-SS, which I doubt)

Tried FI-BA-SS before, not quite as impressive as I thought it would be.

Have a look at this: j-phonic K2 SP.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #107 of 7,982

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it's not the best place to ask, but where can we go from here? Anything that's as neutral on all front as these, except being less sibilant?

Price is unimportant to me. (except if it's FI-BA-SS, which I doubt)

Tried FI-BA-SS before, not quite as impressive as I thought it would be.

Have a look at this: j-phonic K2 SP.

Those just look really nice. The whole custom universal idea is pretty interesting. Do they only take comply foam tips?

If you've had a chance to hear it, would you also say the W4?

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #108 of 7,982

Quote:

Those just look really nice. The whole custom universal idea is pretty interesting. Do they only take comply foam tips?

If you've had a chance to hear it, would you also say the W4?

They do take Olive and any eartips of that size. But they are specially tuned with the Comply and so far I don't find any other eartips that sounds quite as nice with it.

Haven't heard the W4 yet.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #109 of 7,982
I can't believe how much I like these things...I'm a closet basshead and I have always looked for headphones with a bass focus.  I started this head-fi tour with some Turbines.  I loved em...I understood their limitations sonically and never thought I'd care about anything other than bass really.  My main problem with them is that I couldn't really wear them at the gym.  I then went through just about every other bass oriented headphone in the past four months and came across the Brainwavz M3 which is definitely more balanced overall.  I loved the sound but hated the cable and didn't like the fact it didn't have a chin slider (which means no gym use because I need to wear them "over the ear").  I thought about the GR07s multiple times...and never actually pulled the trigger.  I was pretty happy with the Atrio Xs...but not completely.  I just felt I was missing something with them.  I'm not sure what it was...but ultimately pulled the trigger on the GR07s and I'm so glad I did.

These things get better and better with each listen and I love them more and more.  I like bass, don't get me wrong...but pushed correctly, these things can deliver.  I use them out of my Zune HD with the pop equalizer setting which gives it a bit of a bump and then I use my Fiio e5 when I am listening to my Galaxy Tab 10.1...and that seems to work great.  

These things do just about everything right.  I can notice a touch of simblance, but I'm definitely not that sensitive to it, so it doesn't bother me that much, I just kind of notice it because everyone here complains about it.  Had you all not said anything about it, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Anyway...thanks to everyone around here that suggested these things.  I'm so happy with them. Pretty much my perfect earphone.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #110 of 7,982
The GR07 continues to impress me day after day time after time. Im used to listening with my UM Merlins but the vsonics stand their ground due to a very relaxing unique sound sig that is neutral with a bit of warmth to my ears. Hopefully there will be more products like these in the future with more competitive prices!

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #112 of 7,982
I've found the key to getting maximum performance from the GR07 a great seal in your ear.. not necessarily insertion depth.. if you have these phones and wondered why you don't experience the bass quality & depth many rave about.. check your seal.. I've found it more in this phone than others that the room for error is smaller for when trying to hit the "sweet spot" seal.. when you find it, it will result in some of the best bass texturing and quality you'll hear from a dynamic under $300.  It's got such a nice balance between speed, weight, texture, and impact.. perhaps the best blend of BA & dynamic driver characteristics when it comes to bass.

Also, the mids on my GR07 are no longer recessed sounding.. or warm, or laid back.. they're dead neutral.. amybe even on the cooler, crisper side slightly.. and strike just the right balance between lush and dry sounding.  The treble has fantastic sparkle, air, and clarity.  The soundstage and imaging is really well presented, evenly filling the space from left to right.

It's such a cohesive sounding phone to my ears, now.. they're not overtly smooth at this point, either.. more forward & crisp in fact.  It's ironic that for all the stage monitor-friendly, uncolored characterizing of the sound, I've found the GR07 to be some of the most engaging, musical phones I own.  Something about the weight and clarity they boast intrigues me.  I'm kind of amazed by just how much they've changed from out of the box.  Going from thick, mid-centered, smooth, and warm.. to neutral, crisp (but still smooth and non-fatiguing), detailed, and fast.

At 300+ hours, the novelty effect these phones could've had has long worn off and they've probably become my favorite universal IEMs.. even over the DBA & amped RE0.  While the RE0 is has a touch more micro-details, it doesn't sound as cohesive, musical, and wide as the GR07.  The DBA is wonderfully crisp and musical, but it doesn't posses the weight this dynamic has.  The RE0 must be well-amped in order to get those microdetails out too, and who want to lung an amp, however portable, with them everywhere?  The GR07 sound stunning unamped from the iPhone 4.. and even better from the sleek Arrow amp.

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #113 of 7,982

Quote:
I've found the key to getting maximum performance from the GR07 a great seal in your ear.. not necessarily insertion depth.. if you have these phones and wondered why you don't experience the bass quality & depth many rave about.. check your seal.. I've found it more in this phone than others, that the room for error is smaller for hitting the sweet spot seal.. but if you find it, it will result in  some of the best bass texturing and quality I've heard from a dynamic under $300.  It's got such a nice balance between speed, weight, texture, and impact.. perhaps the best blend of BA & dynamic driver characteristics when it comes to bass.

Also, the mids on my GR07 are no longer recessed sounding.. or warm, or laid back.. they're dead neutral.. amybe even on the cooler, crisper side slightly.. and strike just the right balance between lush and dry sounding.  The treble has fantastic sparkle, air, and clarity.  The soundstage and imaging is really well presented and sorted out too, evenly filling the space from left to right.

It's such a cohesive sounding phone to my ears, now.. they're not overtly smooth now either.. more forward & crisp in fact.  It's ironic that for all the stage monitor-friendly, uncolored characterizing of the sound, I've found the GR07 to be some of the most engaging, musical phones I own.  Something about the weight and clarity they boast intrigues me.  I'm kind of amazed by just how much they've changed from out of the box.  Going from thick, mid-centered, smooth, and warm.. to neutral, crisp, detailed, and fast.

At 300+ hours, the novelty effect these phones could've had has long worn off and they've probably become my favorite universal IEMs.. even over the DBA & amped RE0.  While the RE0 is has a touch more micro-details, it doesn't sound as cohesive, musical, and wide as the GR07.  The DBA is wonderfully crisp and musical, but it doesn't posses the weight this dynamic has.  The RE0 must be well-amped in order to get those microdetails out too, and who want to lung an amp, however portable, with them everywhere?  The GR07 sound stunning unamped from the iPhone 4.. and even better from the sleek Arrow amp.

x2. These babies are nothing but amazing. Unamped sounds good already. Amping it will blow you away. I can literally feel the emotion of the music with the r07. Something i havent experienced on lower quality iems

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #114 of 7,982
x2. These babies are nothing but amazing. Unamped sounds good already. Amping it will blow you away. I can literally feel the emotion of the music with the r07. Something i havent experienced on lower quality iems

I noticed you also have/had the W4. How would you compare them?

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #115 of 7,982
I've had these for a little over two weeks now and I'm extremely happy with them. I vastly prefer them over the Sennheiser IE8 which was previous foray into high-end universals, which gave me a headache when listening to them for a long time due to too much midbass. The balance of the GR07 is outstanding at the pricepoint, I can't really say that anything is lacking... the fact the total signature is non-fatiguing is a big plus, and l can't find any trace of sibilance at all (my ears have been "treble trained" by owning the Grado SR325is in the past so that may explain it).

About the only minor complaint that I have is that the cable is unwieldy to use over-the-ear, the left one tends to flail about. Using the included cable guides solves this issue nicely though. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #116 of 7,982

Quote:
I've had these for a little over two weeks now and I'm extremely happy with them. I vastly prefer them over the Sennheiser IE8 which was previous foray into high-end universals, which gave me a headache when listening to them for a long time due to too much midbass. The balance of the GR07 is outstanding at the pricepoint, I can't really say that anything is lacking... the fact the total signature is non-fatiguing is a big plus, and l can't find any trace of sibilance at all (my ears have been "treble trained" by owning the Grado SR325is in the past so that may explain it).

About the only minor complaint that I have is that the cable is unwieldy to use over-the-ear, the left one tends to flail about. Using the included cable guides solves this issue nicely though. 

Sorry to hear the problem with the cable. Thats a deal breaker to me as i am a comfort freak with iems. Maybe chin slider will help you?

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #117 of 7,982

Quote:

Really? I find that the ear guides do nothing for that problem. If I wanted to use the GR07, I just have to ignore that problem.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #119 of 7,982
the only minor complaint that I have is that the cable is unwieldy to use over-the-ear, the left one tends to flail about. Using the included cable guides solves this issue nicely though. 

Same thing, left cable.
Good it might not be my fault. I thought I originally put the ear guides on with the cable twisted or something. It seems to be fixing Itself over time as i leave them on the table a lot with the guides and try to flatten them out.

The cable guides work just fine, no comfort problems, hold them in place just like he said. I also like being able to keep them hung over my ears or on the collar of my shirt without them falling deeper in. I do think they look better without the guides though.

And yes, without the guides, the chin slider helps a lot but I'm not used to wires hugging my face like that.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #120 of 7,982
The cable is definitely a weakness. I've noticed that along with wanting to straighten out, the individual cables to the earphones do not like to twist at all. It wouldn't be a problem except that one of the ears wasn't assembled at the same (reciprocal) angle to the other, so when wearing the phones, one side has a slight torque, which is probably what pops the cable over my ear if I allow too much slack around the ear.

I find that the chin slider solves the problem though.

Really, it's a minor issue with an otherwise fantastic headphone. Hardly a deal breaker, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back