VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #91 of 7,982
i still can't choose. i'm deciding between gr07 and the hippo vb, but i'm leaning towards the gr07.

My main concern is if the bass of the gr07 wouldn't suffice my needs, hence my other preferred option, the hippo vb.

I'm coming from an mee m6 and a cx500. I like that my m6 is more clear and refined than my cx500, but I feel it lacks in the bass department. I'm hoping that the gr07 would be near or hopefully not far from the bass quantity that my cx500 has. I agree that the gr07 is better on everything against the vb and the cx500, i just have doubts where the bass of the gr07 fall in comparison to both.

Any insight would be helpful. :)

Quote:
They both reach to the sub-bass level, but GR07 is much more neutral in volume.

Thanks for this tip sir clieOS, but i'm a little confused. When you say neutral in volume in this sentence, does it mean more neutral relative to a hippo vb's bass, or neutral in general?

I was hoping the gr07 bass would be a little more upfront and solid (compared to my m6), with a relatively warm signature.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #92 of 7,982
Looks like I have one last question;

while looking at dfkt's review of the ortofon e-q5 this bit caught my attention:

"They should make an excellent upgrade for people used to the Phonak PFE’s or Audio Technica ATH-CK10’s sound signature, and probably for fans of Etymotic or the Head-Direct RE0/RE252 as well. While still retaining these phones outstanding clarity and precision, the e-Q5 add some euphonic weight, grandeur, and timbre to the sound, making them subjectively more ‘musical’ sounding."

That sounds like what I'm looking for so that begs the question, for people who own or heard both, how do the gr07 compare to the e-q5? (unfortunately the e-q5s are too expensive, so not an option)

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #93 of 7,982

Quote:

Thanks for this tip sir clieOS, but i'm a little confused. When you say neutral in volume in this sentence, does it mean more neutral relative to a hippo vb's bass, or neutral in general?

I was hoping the gr07 bass would be a little more upfront and solid (compared to my m6), with a relatively warm signature.

More neutral relative to VB and a little above / close to neutral bass in general. It has deeper bass than M6, but less in volume and not as warm.

Quote:
That sounds like what I'm looking for so that begs the question, for people who own or heard both, how do the gr07 compare to the e-q5? (unfortunately the e-q5s are too expensive, so not an option)

GR07 is more neutral but extends better at both ends, while e-Q5 offers more dynamic and warm. I don't consider one to be vastly better than the other.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #95 of 7,982
Is lendmeurears the only authorized seller?
I'd rather buy them from www.earphone on ebay (they ship via ems) but they're not authorized right?

i dont think lendmeurears is auothorized either...they are just a more well know company around here. I got mine from www.earphones and they shipped fast and arrived without a problem at all.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #96 of 7,982
lendmeurears.com isn't an authorized dealer from what I know.

These things have sonic bliss with the right amp.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #97 of 7,982
Perhaps it's not the best place to ask, but where can we go from here? Anything that's as neutral on all front as these, except being less sibilant?

Price is unimportant to me. (except if it's FI-BA-SS, which I doubt)

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #98 of 7,982
Well who is an authorized seller? :O
Lend me ur ears buys them straight from sonic as i know.

Clieos must be the best headfier to give us some lights on the subject.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #99 of 7,982
lendmeurears is an authorized seller. Well, assuming you can read this page: http://www.vsonic.com.cn/cn-join/wangdian.htm

(got the link from the GR07 Seller? thread)

Quote:
I'd rather buy them from www.earphone on ebay (they ship via ems) but they're not authorized right?

Quote:
Quote:

i dont think lendmeurears is auothorized either...they are just a more well know company around here. I got mine from www.earphones and they shipped fast and arrived without a problem at all.

Quote:
lendmeurears.com isn't an authorized dealer from what I know.

These things have sonic bliss with the right amp.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #100 of 7,982
Jun 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #102 of 7,982

Quote:
how are these for movies?

i use the Brainwavz M3 right now for my universal/neutral headphones and for watching movies on my laptop but i might want to upgrade to these if theyre good for non music too.

Just watched Inception and Tron: Legacy (since someone on these boards at some point mentioned the soundtrack sounded fantastic with these) the other night. They utilize the soundstage very effectively for movies, at least to me. Felt almost like having surround sound the way they place and image, but I think like my laptop drives them a little better than my iPhone and opens up the soundstage even more, but who knows I could be imagining it.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #103 of 7,982
That is definitely true, when fitted deep, these have an excellent soundstage. Although I do think there are a few that are better in this regard, they are likely over 2x more expensive.
Combine these with some crossfeed and you'll forget you're using IEMs and not a set of speakers.

EDIT: Or with a good surround system simulator of course, that works too.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #104 of 7,982
@AstralStorm
I'm experimenting with insertion depth with these but it seems like due to gravity, with the stock medium tips, that they always slide out just a bit into a depth they find more fitting haha, though I haven't really noticed anything more than a marginal change in relation to changes in insertion depth. Maybe I got lucky this time around with the shape and depth of my ear canals.

Purely out of curiosity, I've also been wondering how far up I'd have to go for a solid upgrade in overall sound quality to these.

Also,
You mentioned something a while back about being impressed with the GR07 and phasing. Any chance you'd like to explain to someone less informed (me) what that is and how I can hear it?

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #105 of 7,982
Well, here they get inserted almost to the first ear canal bend. I need to put the tunable nozzle angle to an almost extreme position. Plus I use small Comply T-200 (soon probably T-130 or P Slim) tips.

The phasing thing is apparent only when you play certain specific tracks - put sound in phase on one side, 45° out of phase on another - note the modulation which is lost with most IEMs.
I'm pretty sure this is important for soundstaging... but I don't know what is the mechanism of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back