VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #7,861 of 7,982
I have the classic detachable cable version before that I had the original and the classic. I am currently having a problem though since I have gotten these and since I have changed my choice of sources I find the volume is either too low that I dont hear all the detail I want to or if I make it louder it's almost too loud for my liking. I am using no EQ settings at all, I am using a mix of lossless and high quality mp3's on my HTC 10. Before that I was using an Ipod Classic.

My question is do you think I need to look at something completly different? Or maybe the Bass edition or Anniversary edition would be better suited for me if they are that different? I always liked the sound of these, I had gotten them because I tried V-moda m-80's but due to my tmj condition I couldnt use those kind of headphones, I am still looking for the closest sound signature to those in IEM form. But what do you guys recommend I do or try?

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #7,862 of 7,982
I have the classic detachable cable version before that I had the original and the classic. I am currently having a problem though since I have gotten these and since I have changed my choice of sources I find the volume is either too low that I dont hear all the detail I want to or if I make it louder it's almost too loud for my liking. I am using no EQ settings at all, I am using a mix of lossless and high quality mp3's on my HTC 10. Before that I was using an Ipod Classic.

My question is do you think I need to look at something completly different? Or maybe the Bass edition or Anniversary edition would be better suited for me if they are that different? I always liked the sound of these, I had gotten them because I tried V-moda m-80's but due to my tmj condition I couldnt use those kind of headphones, I am still looking for the closest sound signature to those in IEM form. But what do you guys recommend I do or try?

I'm not 100% certain on this but I don't think the GR07 are particularly hard to drive, your HTC should be able to make drive them just fine. I have the feeling your issue stems from either a poor fit/isolation with the tips or your different sound preference (something warmer with more bass). If I'm correct about the sound preference, I think you'd like the VSD3S more than the GR07.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #7,863 of 7,982
Solution is gr07 with it01 cable, ha! Nice.
I have both GR07 BE and IT01 and agree with jaxz's comparison of the two. ...It's a really close call but I'm leaning towards ranking the IT01 higher because it's slightly more entertaining.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #7,864 of 7,982

Don't have GR07, but did you use the other versions with the HTC10 as well without this problem? If not, I have HTC10 also and this sounds like it could be solved by fixing the poor volume controls with way too big increments (the sound also seems to be a touch on the warmer/darker side- ICYMI with your headphones plugged in make sure the BoomSound stuff is off too). Kind of a PITA, but I use Neutron player's preamp slider to get the volume dialed in (also has very good EQ), plenty of apps probably can do this.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #7,865 of 7,982
I bought these (GR07BE - 2017 with detachable MMCX) as a RE-400 upgrade and let's just say I love these.

I originally hated the sound out of the box with the silicone tips but after putting on Shure olive tips and using a Dragonfly Red, they sound incredible.

Very, very good bass extension and quantity. It's clear and plentiful. I hear sub-bass notes on tracks I never heard before with my ER4XR, Campfire Comets and RE-400.

Impressions:
- great sub-bass
- super light weight and comfortable
- solid isolation
- wide soundstage
- laid back and warm (vocals are clear and not recessed. Treble was bright and sibilant but tamed by the foam tips)
- needs power - 50 ohms according to the manual (DFR does the trick)

These are the kind of IEM I would put on before going to bed or for relaxing. Super comfortable physically and sonically.

What a buy!

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #7,866 of 7,982
I bought these (GR07BE - 2017 with detachable MMCX) as a RE-400 upgrade and let's just say I love these.

I originally hated the sound out of the box with the silicone tips but after putting on Shure olive tips and using a Dragonfly Red, they sound incredible.

Very, very good bass extension and quantity. It's clear and plentiful. I hear sub-bass notes on tracks I never heard before with my ER4XR, Campfire Comets and RE-400.

Impressions:
- great sub-bass
- super light weight and comfortable
- solid isolation
- wide soundstage
- laid back and warm (vocals are clear and not recessed. Treble was bright and sibilant but tamed by the foam tips)
- needs power - 50 ohms according to the manual (DFR does the trick)

These are the kind of IEM I would put on before going to bed or for relaxing. Super comfortable physically and sonically.

What a buy!
Great review! I too have the GR07 BE 2017 with detachable cable and am thinking of buying a CA Comet - can you compare the two for listening to pop, EDM, and R&B please?

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #7,867 of 7,982
Great review! I too have the GR07 BE 2017 with detachable cable and am thinking of buying a CA Comet - can you compare the two for listening to pop, EDM, and R&B please?

I mainly just listen to Rock and a bit of Folk (ex: Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, The Kooks and Suzanne Vega). If you consider any of those pop, then my impressions would be relevant.

I prefer the GR07 over the Comets when listening to my music. The Comets are very balanced (no biased towards any frequency) where as the GR07 has a much better extension into the sub-bass, slightly more forward vocals and a rolled off treble which suits my preferences for warmth in music, especially with rock. I also like the wider soundstage of the GR07. The Comets I find are more engaging (lively) and clear but I prefer laid back.

GR07BE
- better sub-bass
- wider soundstage
- more forward vocals
- more comfortable on the ears (smaller driver)

Comets
- very balanced tuning
- more detail and clarity
- more "musical" and engaging

If I had to pick a starter IEM for someone new to earphones scene, I would pick the Comets. If I had to pick one for myself, I'd choose the GR07BE.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,868 of 7,982
I mainly just listen to Rock and a bit of Folk (ex: Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, The Kooks and Suzanne Vega). If you consider any of those pop, then my impressions would be relevant.

I prefer the GR07 over the Comets when listening to my music. The Comets are very balanced (no biased towards any frequency) where as the GR07 has a much better extension into the sub-bass, slightly more forward vocals and a rolled off treble which suits my preferences for warmth in music, especially with rock. I also like the wider soundstage of the GR07. The Comets I find are more engaging (lively) and clear but I prefer laid back.

GR07BE
- better sub-bass
- wider soundstage
- more forward vocals
- more comfortable on the ears (smaller driver)

Comets
- very balanced tuning
- more detail and clarity
- more "musical" and engaging

If I had to pick a starter IEM for someone new to earphones scene, I would pick the Comets. If I had to pick one for myself, I'd choose the GR07BE.
Thank you for the comparison and such a quick response!!! You just saved me $200. I too like the sound signature of the GR07 BE - although recently I’m listening more to an IT01.

In case like me you’re in search of a headphone that sounds like the GR07 BE, I found the Hifiman Sundara to have a similar tonal signature with slightly less sub-bass (similar extension, just less volume).

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,869 of 7,982
Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought GR07BE as an upgrade to the RE-400 and it 100% succeeded in that aspect.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7,871 of 7,982
What are some of the tips options? I have been using the hybrids but I think I want to try others to see if I notice any difference in sound?
I prefer JVC Spiral Dots. I think SpinFits are a good option if the Spiral Dots don't fit properly.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #7,872 of 7,982
What are some of the tips options? I have been using the hybrids but I think I want to try others to see if I notice any difference in sound?

Get the Shure olive tips. More extension to the sub-bass and more bass quantity.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #7,873 of 7,982
Auditioned the GR07 37th Anniversary today to see what the fuss was all about. The GR07 37th had muddy mids with bass that bled. Warm tonality throughout. Separation/layering was eh. Soundstage was a little wider than average for IEMs.

I may be expecting too much for its price...I test a lot of mid-TOTL level IEMs.

I'll need to try the regular GR07 and its other variants.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 30, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #7,874 of 7,982
Auditioned the GR07 37th Anniversary today to see what the fuss was all about. The GR07 37th had muddy mids with bass that bled. Warm tonality throughout. Separation/layering was eh. Soundstage was a little wider than average for IEMs.

I may be expecting too much for its price...I test a lot of mid-TOTL level IEMs.

I'll need to try the regular GR07 and its other variants.

Give the GR07BE (2017 with detachable MMCX) + foam tips + a good amp to try.

These have become my daily beaters for my commute because of how well they sound despite the constant noise and ruckus from the subway. Clear vocals with good bass + good treble presence. Isolation is 8.5/10 too. Super flexible cable and light earbuds.

I have a couple of good IEMs that sound good at home but often fail the commuter test :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #7,875 of 7,982
An odd request - can someone compare the V-Moda Forza Metall Wireless to the Vsonic GR07 Classic 2017 Edition with Detachable MMCX cable? I'm looking to buy an aftermarket MMCX bluetooth cable to use with the GR07. Any advice on appropriate bluetooth cables that offer the same or better fidelity as the Forza Metallo are also welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back