VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #7,351 of 7,982

I agree. Correct me if I'm wrong though, Tylls measurements don't take into account dynamics and driver control, since there is no time domain information to his readings, only (I'm assuming) an equal-energy sine sweep to measure the basic FR? So a microdynamic driver (or any driver) relying on a small airmass to damp it would perhaps only register as having generally louder bass when fitted with bigger volume tips, when listening to them would also reveal a looser bass with less definition and ability to translate dynamics?

Also what I describe as a huge change might not be noticeable to anyone else. I once had a friend lend me his Jays IEM and it seems he was content listening to a sound that was about 80% panned to the right (probably due to a clogged sound tube or defective/damaged driver). Meanwhile I'd decide on a certain tip choice based on how it changes the treble balance a dB or 2. There's a lot of variance there.

I really like that Spinfit tips were included from Vsonic, I'd never used them before and they certainly seem comfortable and well-fitting. Looking at their design it's actually quite ingenious, with a thinner section of the sound tubing allowing for a pivoting motion. I'm sure they alone are a noticeable part of the retail price. 
beerchug.gif

You are right since the measurements may not take into the account the time domain information such as the decay of the notes. This is a good point which I cannot dispute and we will never know unless with proper measurement. However, in my opinion, other then the drivers used, the second big part that affect the sound most is the design and damping of the shells. Much like how different speakers employing different design, material and bracing technique to achieve its own sound signature. Case in point, try masking the vent holes of some IEM and you probably would be able to tune its bass. Tips to me, as long as they fit well and are not deformed or constricted by the ear canal, would not differ very much.

On the other hand, if the tip's core is constricted, such as forcing a 8 or 9mm core into a 10mm driver, then that might change the sound. For better or worst, that would depend on personal preference and also the shape of our ear canal.

For your info, 1-2 db differences are usually not noticeable.  

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #7,354 of 7,982

Initial impressions straight out of the box--and as with my BEs, I went straight for the dual-flange:

The 07X is--to my ears--a GR07 Mk.I with more sub-bass, much more forward vocals, better separation. Sibilance doesn't bother me terribly, but they seem less sibilant than the Mk.Is and BEs. Already very pleased with what I'm hearing.

Time to put 'em on to burn, and walk away.

Ok, found it. Thanks
tongue_smile.gif
 Not worth the upgrade because I have the GR07 MK I 

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #7,355 of 7,982
I'm not going to tell you to spend money you don't need to, but they're a huge upgrade from the Mk.Is.

(That said--I wish I hadn't killed my Mk.Is.  .__.)

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #7,357 of 7,982
I wouldn't buy them until more is known about their durability. Fooled me once. I appreciate others taking the risk, though. Let us know if there are any issues.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #7,361 of 7,982
From what I understood, the drivers of GR07x is a big update from GR07. The housing material also improved. However the look remains the same.

It doesnt matter if they dont come up with an improvised cable tho they have the glossy shells,sexy color choices,balanced and SE options......They make me think/I wld assume its the SAME 11mm ccaw bio-cellulose driver with a different tuning if they dont publish about the driver specs.

There's no doubt about the cable's internal as they are of good standards/materials but culprit is outer sheath. It wld've been addressed already by vsonic or atleast come up with a removable cable this time.Anyway they are fine with this in their chinese market space.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #7,362 of 7,982
I was able to add the GR07X as a product for the Head-Fi database, so it's reviewable aswell.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #7,363 of 7,982
Thanks to Airlight, I bought a few pairs of spinfit tips to try out. On my mee audio P1, I am pleased to confirm it provided a slight improvement in sub bass region. There seems to be more punch and control. The greatest improvement is the comfort.

When I tested it on my GR07 BE, I am sorry to say I can't detect much of a difference. I suspect because the driver nozzle was already adjusted to suit my ear canal and therefore compared to the stock tips, the improvement was hardly noticeable. This is unlike P1, which i suspect it is largely due to the nozzles in P1 are non adjustable. Therefore spinfit with fix nozzle type of IEM offers a more noticeable improvement.

This is only my opinion but to others, the experience would certainly be different simply because the tips may fit their ears differently. However, for a pair of comfortable silicone tips, spinfit is highly recommended. These will be my default tips for my IEM.

Thanks again for Airlight's recommendation.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #7,364 of 7,982
Tried out the X recently. Owned the MK1 ( died) and currently the classic.

The MK1 and classic differences was rather minimal with sibilance/hotter treble the major point. 

The X however is different as it should be based on its higher tier price point. A common point in my comparisons would be the subtle improvements.
Soundstage is just that bit wider, depth feels similar to me. Bass has more quality to it, similar thump to the classic yet has a refined decay if thats the correct term. Mids are greatly improved, details and separation are superb and the biggest obvious change between both.  Treble sibilance has never bothered me on the classic and so not to be on the X, if any. Extends that bit further on the X but still very smooth and not fatiguing at all. It retains the gr07 sound package yet improves on it. There's no doubt to which is the better one but whether is it worth the $100 premium when the classic is available at a much lower price point, I leave it to the top reviewers for better in-depth analysis

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #7,365 of 7,982
One small design difference I noticed (and this might be similar on the "New GR07 Classic" version aswell), the metal nozzle now doesn't sit directly against the plastic shell, but there's some sort of buffer piece/rim between them. I guess it might be a slightly softer material which gives a more snug fit and helps ensure a certain amount of pressurization. Or it's added simply to not have the metal nozzle put direct pressure on the outer shell and thus it (perhaps) might reduce the likelihood of the shell cracking around the nozzle. Time will tell, but it's something I noticed on one of the pictures I took.

Full res: http://i.imgur.com/yL20xaF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back