VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #7,006 of 7,982
  If I sell the used GR07BE I'm getting by mail, what are some sidegrades that are good for rock? The IM70 is supposed to have rolled off treble, though in my head it makes for passable rock as bass is generally not the problem for rock in most consumer headphones, but the coupling of huge bass with sibilant treble you can't turn the volume up to hear the stars of the show: the guitars, sitting in the usually recessed lower treble.

I'm thinking about either the CKR9 or the IM70 as well. I've tried the IM70 for 5 minutes, it has an incredibly fun sound but slightly recessed treble. The CKR9 apparently is brighter with more subbass and less midbass, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it. Add to the fact there are fakes of CKR9 and 10 hanging around, I'd think IM70 is the safer choice.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #7,007 of 7,982
Oh yea, one more, the FiiO EX1. Basically a Dunu Titan 1 with better cables and a reduced price. I'm part of a review tour organised by Joe Bloggs by FiiO. They just came to my hands hours ago, I'll be giving them a good listen and a review later on. Right off the bat they sound very well balanced and exciting.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #7,008 of 7,982
Didn't like the Dunu Titan 1 much, not a patch on the GR07 for me. Recessed mids and inaccurate and ear-piercing treble. Bass is good and sound-stage was great

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #7,009 of 7,982
Didn't like the Dunu Titan 1 much, not a patch on the GR07 for me. Recessed mids and inaccurate and ear-piercing treble. Bass is good and sound-stage was great

NuckinFutz, I used to hate the Titan 1 sound until I pair it with the Comply T200. Now I'm in love with my Titan 1 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #7,010 of 7,982
Got 2 pairs of GR07 BE atm and they sound so different from each other. 1 pair has a lot bass and sounds more fun, but it has very very loose nozzles as well. The other pair sounds more clearer and more "3D", I can hear the instruments more clear but it is less fun(it has been burned in by LMUE). The nozzles of the latter pair are not loose. 

I am starting to think that the looseness of the nozzles have something to do with the bass-output, can someone verify? 

Also, does the bass output loosen up once it's been burned in more and become more flat?

I am going to send 1 pair back to LMUE this week, so these answers are kinda important for me, thank you!

EDIT: NVM, the other pair's right earpiece is miss a chunk of bass :) this explains why it sounds clearer and 3D(bass from the left vs no bass from the right).

In order other words... 3 pairs from LMUE and... 1st pair with extremely loose nozzle with good sound, 2nd pair with very dull sound and the 3rd pair without bass on 1 earpiece :)

MY LUCK!

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7,012 of 7,982

vc1000...........though bass will be slightly less.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #7,013 of 7,982

I had the same issue when I bought mine in January - that and woefully anemic bass.  Now, I love them and they are my main outdoor set.  These buds require 1) lots and lots of burn-in, and 2) excellent isolation (I use Shure Olives whose bores I stretched out with a drill bit).  When well isolated, you can afford to lower the volume and still hear the bass extension quite well, which tames the treble very nicely.

I have those exact pairs of earphones

the re400 is somewhat dark sounding, with a slight warm tilt. so you are correct it is definitely more easy on the ears (my ears and the measurements confirm this)

in regards to the gr07 (there could be a number of things you could try)

1) play around with the angle of the nozzles ( at first I thought my ear canals was like \\ so naturally I put the nozzle in that direction point upwards to the right (for the left side) and vice versa

then I pointed them slightly more downwards and voila! greatness!

2) maybe you need some narrower bore tips (try some sony hybrids or even foam eartips) that will take some energy away from the treble, possibly fixing the issue for you

3) are you intentionally listening for it? if your doing critical listening all the time (then that's a different story)

sometimes our minds trick us and magnify the issue more then it actually is.

4) it could just be the volume (the re400 is a bit more midcentric) so it may appear that you need to turn up the gr07 when infact its a bit more midrecessed like you said

5) lastly, it might just not be your signature, at least you know that bothers you now and you can stay away from any earphones that may have that certain peak!  same thing happened for me and the vsonic vsd5 (that peak they have bothers me), its brighter then the gr07be

I tried the Comply foam TS-100 tips and good lord, what a world of difference!!! The treble peaks are tamed now. Whatever used to sound as undefined peaky treble is now well defined music. I am almost sure that the smaller bore size of the TS-100 is the reason why the treble is controlled. Unfortunately, I had to apply significant pressure to put them on the GR07, because of which both the nozzles have now become very loose :frowning2: I can turn them around with just a flick of my finger! However, I believe the sound quality is not compromised. Next time, I'll remember to expand the tips using a pencil or something before slipping them in!

Thanks for all your support guys! Now that I have experienced the GR07 in its full glory, I can die in peace!!! :wink:

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #7,014 of 7,982

Yup you summed up the sound pretty accurately. But this being the GR07 thread I would think people here are treble masochists lol.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #7,016 of 7,982
Try the CKR9. It's a very nice upgrade from the GR07 with a lot of similarities.

vc1000...........though bass will be slightly less.

I've got the trinity audio atlas coming in December, will report back with comparisons to gr07.

Yup you summed up the sound pretty accurately. But this being the GR07 thread I would think people here are treble masochists lol.

Gr07 aren't overly bright, some people have issues with sibilance. For me they only highlight it in tracks where it exists, they don't add it. They certainly don't mask it either. They sound right, correct, natural. I've heard a fair few IEM's and these are still my preference.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #7,017 of 7,982
Why do you say that? I don't find the GR07 to have a lot of treble - if anything, the treble is somewhat rolled off. At least in the units I've owned.

They are the brightest of the earphones I've owned. Normally i go for neutral with slight warmth but GR07 lends some treble excitement to my ears. In 95% of my songs they perform amazingly, only in certain cymbal-heavy tracks, like (off the top of my head) RATM's Sleep Now in the Fire and White Stripes' Rag and Bone they sound tizzy. No problems at all with the vocals. And I've more or less sold off all my old earphones bcos they can't compare to this.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #7,018 of 7,982
They are the brightest of the earphones I've owned. Normally i go for neutral with slight warmth but GR07 lends some treble excitement to my ears. In 95% of my songs they perform amazingly, only in certain cymbal-heavy tracks, like (off the top of my head) RATM's Sleep Now in the Fire and White Stripes' Rag and Bone they sound tizzy. No problems at all with the vocals. And I've more or less sold off all my old earphones bcos they can't compare to this.

Yup true,,its pretty painful on those 5 % of the tracks u mentioned.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #7,019 of 7,982
Yup true,,its pretty painful on those 5 % of the tracks u mentioned.

Lol I grin it and bear it. They are unbeatable for the price. Has anyone compared this to the new VSD5?

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #7,020 of 7,982

I guess we're coming from different experiences. They don't sound overly bright to me, but given many of the opinions here on head-fi, my idea of neutral probably leans towards bright for most people here. I'm also typically not too fond of warm sound signatures. Cymbals are not a problem for me on the GR07s, I typically have to listen quite carefully to even note them. Not like on my speakers, where for instance the cymbals in most tracks from Sabaton can sound quite harsh (I'm not a fan of the mixing/mastering on the albums I have from Sabaton). That's why, to me, the GR07 sounds a bit rolled off on the treble, or perhaps they seem to lack some treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back