VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #6,976 of 7,982
Yep, agreed. Sounds like you've been really unlucky

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #6,977 of 7,982

No, never rely on burn in to change anything. If there's a problem, send it back. Don't wait around. They should sound great out of the box.

Quote:
Yep, agreed. Sounds like you've been really unlucky

Thank you for your inputs, I keep testing the 2 working pairs I have and it's clear that the first pair's right driver(the ones with the broken nozzles) have way better highs, sound clearer and livelier than the second pair's right driver.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #6,979 of 7,982
After the drama with the first 2 pairs, LMUE is going to send a third pair. But they insisted on trying the "new" pair out themselves before sending them to me. Now I know that they are very nice people and have had quite a bit of patience with me, but I still have the fear(probably some kind of OCD) that I might receive a refurbished version and it would be hard for me to know since the box would have been opened already. Anyone else experience with LMUE testing something(a newly bought product) before sending out?

In the meantime, this loose-nozzle pair sounds absolutely amazing. If only the nozzles were fine !! ; /

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #6,980 of 7,982
  After the drama with the first 2 pairs, LMUE is going to send a third pair. But they insisted on trying the "new" pair out themselves before sending them to me. Now I know that they are very nice people and have had quite a bit of patience with me, but I still have the fear(probably some kind of OCD) that I might receive a refurbished version and it would be hard for me to know since the box would have been opened already. Anyone else experience with LMUE testing something(a newly bought product) before sending out?

In the meantime, this loose-nozzle pair sounds absolutely amazing. If only the nozzles were fine !! ; /

I doubt, really really doubt they'd do that. Quick story about LMUE.

My GR07 broke when I loaned it to a coworker for a while. I don't know what he did to it, but whatever, one side wasn't working any longer. So I contacted LMUE and they were like "yeah, just take a picture of your shipping invoice showing you shipped the earphones out via the cheapest method (we'll take the chance they get lost) and we'll go ahead and send out a replacement set." Well after I did this, they asked me for my order number.

As it turned out, I didn't buy my GR07 from LMUE. Since then(December) I had bought a few other earphones from them though and I just forgot and assumed I got them from LMUE. Now this situation was obviously my fault, and they said they'd send the IEM back to me once they received it. But after a while it was unclear if they'd ever receive them(they were untracked), so they just went ahead and sent me a replacement pair anyway! They sent me a free GR07 because they felt bad about not verifying that I had purchased mine through them before instructing me to send them in anyway, even though it was my fault because I didn't give any indication I got them anywhere else.

They're good peoples.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,981 of 7,982

I doubt, really really doubt they'd do that. Quick story about LMUE.

My GR07 broke when I loaned it to a coworker for a while. I don't know what he did to it, but whatever, one side wasn't working any longer. So I contacted LMUE and they were like "yeah, just take a picture of your shipping invoice showing you shipped the earphones out via the cheapest method (we'll take the chance they get lost) and we'll go ahead and send out a replacement set." Well after I did this, they asked me for my order number.

As it turned out, I didn't buy my GR07 from LMUE. Since then(December) I had bought a few other earphones from them though and I just forgot and assumed I got them from LMUE. Now this situation was obviously my fault, and they said they'd send the IEM back to me once they received it. But after a while it was unclear if they'd ever receive them(they were untracked), so they just went ahead and sent me a replacement pair anyway! They sent me a free GR07 because they felt bad about not verifying that I had purchased mine through them before instructing me to send them in anyway, even though it was my fault because I didn't give any indication I got them anywhere else.

They're good peoples.

Yes I know that they are terrific people :) It's just some nonsensical fear that I have after having experienced some bad ordeals with opened IEM boxes(those were ordered from amazon's third-party sellers). It is also the first time that an IEM seller has asked me whether they could test the IEM before sending them out to me, I am curious if this is something that they do regularly. 

I think that LMUE has given me some of the best after-sales service thus far this year. Thank you for sharing your experience Selenium :)

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #6,982 of 7,982
I got my GR07 Classic 6 months ago. At first I felt that the treble was too bright, and I had even posted here asking for advice. I still feel that in many tracks the treble is a bit too piercing. I also own a RE-400 which is totally relaxing in comparison. I am still not being able to pin point the problem, may be it's the peaks in the treble. I don't feel it as sibilance, but more as a strain on my ears. Could it be that I am intolerant to even the slightest of sibilance? I just wanted to ask if anybody else feels the same about the GR07. Otherwise, they are pretty balanced, may be just a wee little recessed in the mids. Also, has anyone owned the Philips Fidelio S1/S2? How does the treble compare with GR07?

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #6,983 of 7,982
  I got my GR07 Classic 6 months ago. At first I felt that the treble was too bright, and I had even posted here asking for advice. I still feel that in many tracks the treble is a bit too piercing. I also own a RE-400 which is totally relaxing in comparison. I am still not being able to pin point the problem, may be it's the peaks in the treble. I don't feel it as sibilance, but more as a strain on my ears. Could it be that I am intolerant to even the slightest of sibilance? I just wanted to ask if anybody else feels the same about the GR07. Otherwise, they are pretty balanced, may be just a wee little recessed in the mids. Also, has anyone owned the Philips Fidelio S1/S2? How does the treble compare with GR07?

I had the same issue when I bought mine in January - that and woefully anemic bass.  Now, I love them and they are my main outdoor set.  These buds require 1) lots and lots of burn-in, and 2) excellent isolation (I use Shure Olives whose bores I stretched out with a drill bit).  When well isolated, you can afford to lower the volume and still hear the bass extension quite well, which tames the treble very nicely.

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #6,984 of 7,982

I have those exact pairs of earphones

the re400 is somewhat dark sounding, with a slight warm tilt. so you are correct it is definitely more easy on the ears (my ears and the measurements confirm this)

in regards to the gr07 (there could be a number of things you could try)

1) play around with the angle of the nozzles ( at first I thought my ear canals was like \\ so naturally I put the nozzle in that direction point upwards to the right (for the left side) and vice versa

then I pointed them slightly more downwards and voila! greatness!

2) maybe you need some narrower bore tips (try some sony hybrids or even foam eartips) that will take some energy away from the treble, possibly fixing the issue for you

3) are you intentionally listening for it? if your doing critical listening all the time (then that's a different story)

sometimes our minds trick us and magnify the issue more then it actually is.

4) it could just be the volume (the re400 is a bit more midcentric) so it may appear that you need to turn up the gr07 when infact its a bit more midrecessed like you said

5) lastly, it might just not be your signature, at least you know that bothers you now and you can stay away from any earphones that may have that certain peak!  same thing happened for me and the vsonic vsd5 (that peak they have bothers me), its brighter then the gr07be

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #6,985 of 7,982
So are the amazon reviews, and some of the posts i read here true, that these have short life spans? I have some havi's that I can return to amazon because I find the lower treble too recessed for rock and am thinking of buying some used gr07's.

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #6,986 of 7,982

I had the same issue when I bought mine in January - that and woefully anemic bass.  Now, I love them and they are my main outdoor set.  These buds require 1) lots and lots of burn-in, and 2) excellent isolation (I use Shure Olives whose bores I stretched out with a drill bit).  When well isolated, you can afford to lower the volume and still hear the bass extension quite well, which tames the treble very nicely.

Yes, these are pretty well burnt-in, say, 300+ hrs. Actually, it's not the bass extension that bothers me so much, but the hot treble. I had tried a few tips earlier, but I think it's worth a try again. May be isolation is a problem too.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #6,987 of 7,982

I have those exact pairs of earphones

the re400 is somewhat dark sounding, with a slight warm tilt. so you are correct it is definitely more easy on the ears (my ears and the measurements confirm this)

in regards to the gr07 (there could be a number of things you could try)

1) play around with the angle of the nozzles ( at first I thought my ear canals was like \\ so naturally I put the nozzle in that direction point upwards to the right (for the left side) and vice versa

then I pointed them slightly more downwards and voila! greatness!

2) maybe you need some narrower bore tips (try some sony hybrids or even foam eartips) that will take some energy away from the treble, possibly fixing the issue for you

3) are you intentionally listening for it? if your doing critical listening all the time (then that's a different story)

sometimes our minds trick us and magnify the issue more then it actually is.

4) it could just be the volume (the re400 is a bit more midcentric) so it may appear that you need to turn up the gr07 when infact its a bit more midrecessed like you said

5) lastly, it might just not be your signature, at least you know that bothers you now and you can stay away from any earphones that may have that certain peak!  same thing happened for me and the vsonic vsd5 (that peak they have bothers me), its brighter then the gr07be

1) Yes, I had experimented and realized that angle of nozzle makes quite a difference.
2) I had tried a few tips earlier, but the ones with the bore size roughly equal to the nozzle sounded the best to me back then. I think I'll give it a shot again.
3) Not really listening for it. This happens even when I am totally absorbed in work.
4) That's true, GR07 does require you to turn the volume up a bit.
5) May be not my signature, but I find the GR07 to be generally well tuned. I actually liked how the RE-400 is tuned up to mid-bass, but again things like claps sounded a bit unnaturally 'pop'py. A bit more mid / low treble emphasis than I like, I guess.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #6,988 of 7,982
Amazingly, the iPhone 6s (6 also?) sounds great with the gr07 because the 6s is slightly rolled and warm sounding. Plenty of power and seems a great portable solution on the cheap. I've been listening and comparing to Teac hp-50a and would say the 6s is easy listening wth the gr07. Sibilants is pretty much completely tamed.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #6,989 of 7,982
..the iPhone 6s...  on the cheap...

confused.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #6,990 of 7,982
Well, there are a lot of iPhone users out there already. Just commenting on the nice synergy with the Gr07 and that there may be no need for external day/amp/player in that situation. If you already have that phone, then you are in for the price of these iems only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back