VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #6,916 of 7,982
Hey,

Can some one explain how can we differ mk2 from mk1?

I found this link but i'm not sure if it's mk1 or mk2. As far as remember, there was no red version for mk1 but i'm not sure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR07-Classical-Color-Version-High-Fidelity-IEM-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/121237473047

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #6,917 of 7,982
  Hey,

Can some one explain how can we differ mk2 from mk1?

I found this link but i'm not sure if it's mk1 or mk2. As far as remember, there was no red version for mk1 but i'm not sure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR07-Classical-Color-Version-High-Fidelity-IEM-Inner-Ear-Earphones-/121237473047

Those are neither the mk2 nor the mk1, but the classic version, which is the newest model. I'm fairly certain that the mk2 was only available in black, while the mk1 was available in black, silver, & gray.

The mk2 and mk1 have a different cable, with the mk2's being a more true silver color, while the mk1's cable has a more brownish silver tone. The different cable was supposedly the only difference between these two models.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #6,918 of 7,982

Those are neither the mk2 nor the mk1, but the classic version, which is the newest model. I'm fairly certain that the mk2 was only available in black, while the mk1 was available in black, silver, & gray.

The mk2 and mk1 have a different cable, with the mk2's being a more true silver color, while the mk1's cable has a more brownish silver tone. The different cable was supposedly the only difference between these two models.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks it helped a lot. My main concern is that is one better then another? I'm thinking about buying the classic version but i'm worrying that it might not be as good as the mk2.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #6,919 of 7,982

Thanks it helped a lot. My main concern is that is one better then another? I'm thinking about buying the classic version but i'm worrying that it might not be as good as the mk2.

What @Jill quoted about MK I & MK II is the cable difference. you can't find both of those models now but BE (bass edition) and CE (classic edition) only.

You can very well buy the CE if you want to save some ~$22-$28 bucks or go for BE which retails for $120. BE aren't bass heavy / basshead sort of, as the pre-fix suffix, but has emphasized bass than CE and comes with assortment of hybrid tips.

http://www.lendmeurears.com/ have them both, CE for $92 & BE for $120.

edit=> oh btw,that ebay seller you mentioned is also one of the reputed / legit / trusted seller here in our community.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #6,920 of 7,982

What @Jill quoted about MK I & MK II is the cable difference. you can't find both of those models now but BE (bass edition) and CE (classic edition) only.

You can very well buy the CE if you want to save some ~$22-$28 bucks or go for BE which retails for $120. BE aren't bass heavy / basshead sort of, as the pre-fix, but has emphasized bass than CE and comes with assortment of hybrid tips.

http://www.lendmeurears.com/ has them both, CE for $92 & BE for $120.

Thanks for your answer mate but i'm not sure i'm understanding this(because of my English probably). I understand that i can't buy mk1 or mk2 because they are not available but i'm wondering if the CE is as good as them. Also i don't like bass very much but if BE is better than CE bass wise without sacrificing anything then i can pay 120 dollars no problem. BTW lendmeurears pricing for BE is 163 dollars and 125 dollars for CE.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #6,921 of 7,982
  Thanks for your answer mate but i'm not sure i'm understanding this(because of my English probably). I understand that i can't buy mk1 or mk2 because they are not available but i'm wondering if the CE is as good as them. Also i don't like bass very much but if BE is better than CE bass wise without sacrificing anything then i can pay 120 dollars no problem. BTW lendmeurears pricing for BE is 163 dollars and 125 dollars for CE.

The differences in the MKI and the CE are very slight, if any, so if you want less bass that's probably the one you're after. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #6,922 of 7,982

both are good on their own if you want bit of bass and those hybrid tips, yes BE is the one you may go for,among these....CE is bit prone to sibilance to some tracks than BE tho.

btw, those are SGD (singapore $).....
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,924 of 7,982

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only heard the mk1 version, but I've read that the differences between the 3 versions are slight, especially between the mk1 & classic.

Here is a link to one comparison between the mk1 and classic:
http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-gr07-classic-plus-warning/

And here is another link with a brief comparison between mk1 & mk2:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013/1095#post_9263848

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,925 of 7,982
I recent have the ability to measure IEM's FR curve. It is not 100% accurate as it is done on a DIY measurement rig, but I think it is accurate enough for some basic comparison.

GR07%20comparison.jpg

As you can see, mk1 and Classic share very similar mid to treble FR curve, while Classic has more sub-bass. Mk2 has fairly similar FR curve with mk1 on the lower range, but quite different from upper mid range and forward. BE definitely has the most bass, where upper mid range and above is somewhat between mk1 and mk2. As said by many, they do share fairly similar sound signature, but not identical. Personally, I do think Classic makes for a good replacement / alternative for mk1.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,926 of 7,982
  I recent have the ability to measure IEM's FR curve. It is not 100% accurate as it is done on a DIY measurement rig, but I think it is accurate enough for some basic comparison.

GR07%20comparison.jpg

As you can see, mk1 and Classic share very similar mid to treble FR curve, while Classic has more sub-bass. Mk2 has fairly similar FR curve with mk1 on the lower range, but quite different from upper mid range and forward. BE definitely has the most bass, where upper mid range and above is somewhat between mk1 and mk2. As said by many, they do share fairly similar sound signature, but not identical. Personally, I do think Classic makes for a good replacement / alternative for mk1.

No doubt, GR07 Classic is a good performer, even by today's standards. It actually puts some of the more expensive premium brands to shame.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,927 of 7,982
I recently bought some second-hand SE215's, and after messing around with tips came to this revelation:

GR07 Classic + Shure Olives = WOW.  Finally, some bass.  And what yummy bass it is!  Deep, detailed, not overwhelming but with just enough punch.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #6,929 of 7,982
I just stretched the cores with a pen and then pushed them on with some force.  The core wraps around the very end of the nozzle, but it's so tight that it stays on, no problem.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,930 of 7,982
  I recently bought some second-hand SE215's, and after messing around with tips came to this revelation:

GR07 Classic + Shure Olives = WOW.  Finally, some bass.  And what yummy bass it is!  Deep, detailed, not overwhelming but with just enough punch.

This is an excellent "tip" After having my old GR07 die on me a couple of years ago I just picked up another pair (Mk2) I remember trying all sorts of tips, and all sorts of Headfi created combo creations. I really settled into the Large Phonacs (which Im presently using), and I really like the Sony Hybrids....For some strange reason (maybe because of the inner diameter size) I never even thought to try the Shure Olives. I am looking forward to this now. In the past I used Compl y's when I was extra sensitive to sibilance, but the Comply's took too much of the distinct GR07 sound out.. Thank You all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back