VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #6,451 of 7,982

Hey man. :) The maroon color has the benefit of having some type of soft touch coating, probably because they cannot get the maroon color easily in the actual plastic. The Blue and Silver ones are plastic through and through but the maroon one has a nice non-plastic feel to it. That's also why it looks a bit "duller", it doesn't reflect light as well as the pure plastic surface of the others.
And thanks for the feedback on the pictures. :)

And how's that XE800 working out for you? Not sure if you spoke of them in a different thread yet, feel free to link me.

I left some impressions in the XE800 thread but i don't mind repeating some of it here. Let's start with the good news. The treble is less peaky with the default tips, the 6khz peak is no more and i don't get any resonance or glare anymore. The treble is still far from flat though, the 3-4khz area is still pronounced, although less so than how it is on my GR07. the peak at 10khz is still there but again the delta is a little smaller but the dip after 10khz is unfortunately still present. there are also some dips at 4.5khz and 7khz. All in all the treble is certainly better but it's still uneven and it still gets sibilant with bad recordings.

The mids are exactly the same, no changes whatsoever. The bass is more elevated though, which i didn't like one bit
tongue.gif
. So what i did was this:

Blocking the back vents of the XE800 makes the bass ruler flat (flatter than the GR07's bass region) while preserving extension. As you can imagine i blocked the vents in a semi-permanent way (nail polish is not totally useless after all). I also did some tip rolling, concluding that the MH1 tips are once again the best fit for the treble. So now i am in possession of the only midcentric GR07 in the world 
tongue.gif
. Taking care of the bass and the treble has added depth to the soundstage, since drums and cymbals are now placed in the back as they should from the start. Instrument separation has also improved and the excellent mids can now throw bucketloads of texture and detail in your face without unwanted intrusions from the rest of the spectrum. So while the default tuning wasn't my cup of tea (it probably sounded like a smoother GR07BE) i am pretty happy with my modded pair, in fact i use it as my primary phone.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #6,452 of 7,982
That sounds great, very good description. Glad you're happy with it aswell. I'll pop over to the XE800 thread and take a look aswell, if only for curiosity. Cheers. :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #6,453 of 7,982
If one is willing to believe Vsonic's CEO the VSD7 will be released next month with the first batch being limited due to low capacity.

Any word on pricing (vsd7) and launch date on VSD5?.....and how much ltd qty wld that be roughly and any tech spec revealed? :wink:

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #6,454 of 7,982
Any word on pricing (vsd7) and launch date on VSD5?.....and how much ltd qty wld that be roughly and any tech spec revealed?
wink.gif

Well, with vsonic asking for an exact release date is pushing it 
biggrin.gif
 . As far as the pricing goes, vsd7 is supposed to be taking gr07's place as the new flagship and should be priced in the $160-200 range. No mention of the exact number of units for the first batch and no official specs. They should have a new diaphragm supposedly better than gr07's bio-cellulose as vsonic has been experimenting with new materials for quite some time now and supposedly both vsd7 and vsd9 will be a step up but Vsonic's CEO didn't want to disclose the materials used.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #6,455 of 7,982
Well, with vsonic asking for an exact release date is pushing it :D  . As far as the pricing goes, vsd7 is supposed to be taking gr07's place as the new flagship and should be priced in the $160-200 range. No mention of the exact number of units for the first batch and no official specs. They should have a new diaphragm supposedly better than gr07's bio-cellulose as vsonic has been experimenting with new materials for quite some time now and supposedly both vsd7 and vsd9 will be a step up but Vsonic's CEO didn't want to disclose the materials used.

thanks chief! Btw, vsd5 supposedly release this september and a week past already,so Id asked any date announced for vsd5 by him.......like before end of sep or little post-poned to oct etc....:D

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #6,456 of 7,982
thanks chief! Btw, vsd5 supposedly release this september and a week past already,so Id asked any date announced for vsd5 by him.......like before end of sep or little post-poned to oct etc....
biggrin.gif

Well, vsonic has done some more work on the vsd3's connector and the improved vsd3 should be released on 15th this month. Also, the updated vsd1 will probably be released soon, so most likely vsd5 should be out the second part of the month - my guess is around the end but as usual with vsonic there are no guarantees that it won't be delayed for next month 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,457 of 7,982
Well, with vsonic asking for an exact release date is pushing it :D  . As far as the pricing goes, vsd7 is supposed to be taking gr07's place as the new flagship and should be priced in the $160-200 range. No mention of the exact number of units for the first batch and no official specs. They should have a new diaphragm supposedly better than gr07's bio-cellulose as vsonic has been experimenting with new materials for quite some time now and supposedly both vsd7 and vsd9 will be a step up but Vsonic's CEO didn't want to disclose the materials used.

New flagship,better than B-C material & GR07 and oct release.......:tongue_smile: :p
Better vsonic not to comment any about vsd7 sound this time just like they did for vsd3/s to westone 4R......rather they describe what they are tuned to,actually.....:wink:

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #6,458 of 7,982
New flagship,better than B-C material & GR07 and oct release.......
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif

Better vsonic not to comment any about vsd7 sound this time just like they did for vsd3/s to westone 4R......rather they describe what they are tuned to,actually.....
wink.gif

Well, there is a reason the gr07CE was released and that's was to make room for the new flagship. An vsd3/s is a different thing as it's a $40 iem and I doubt that many people expected miracles at that price. It's early to talk about sq but vsd7 was announced as the new flagship taking over the throne from the gr07. They've been experimenting with a lot of materials, so there's no reason why there can't be a better material than bio-cellulose several years later. Even sony moved on and they made the stuff. Of course, the best stuff will be left for the vsd9 but it will be a different beast at circa $600, so vsd7 will remain the model for the masses. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #6,459 of 7,982
Well, vsonic has done some more work on the vsd3's connector and the improved vsd3 should be released on 15th this month. Also, the updated vsd1 will probably be released soon, so most likely vsd5 should be out the second part of the month - my guess is around the end but as usual with vsonic there are no guarantees that it won't be delayed for next month :tongue_smile:  

Thx for the updates.....hmm, now updated VSD1,VSD7 and VSD5 then....have to pump my skinny itchy wallet coming 50 days. :tongue_smile:

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #6,461 of 7,982
I honestly didn't like this headphones, the sound was flat and lacked the depth cheaper in-ears and more expensive over-ears provide. Yes, I actually prefer the sound of skull-candy ink'd, but that's probably because I'm a basshead most of the time, but when I'm listening to other music such as the acoustics, these buds still fail to sound good. I prefer my DT750's for the task. Even Maroon 5 sounded awful..

I ended up returning this pair. For reference, I didn't like the sound of Sennheiser's HD 600's either. I prefer skull-candy ink'd for everyday listening and my DT750's for enjoyment and long work periods. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #6,462 of 7,982
  I honestly didn't like this headphones, the sound was flat and lacked the depth cheaper in-ears and more expensive over-ears provide. Yes, I actually prefer the sound of skull-candy ink'd, but that's probably because I'm a basshead most of the time, but when I'm listening to other music such as the acoustics, these buds still fail to sound good. I prefer my DT750's for the task. Even Maroon 5 sounded awful..

I ended up returning this pair. For reference, I didn't like the sound of Sennheiser's HD 600's either. I prefer skull-candy ink'd for everyday listening and my DT750's for enjoyment and long work periods. 

You're trolling right?

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #6,463 of 7,982

I won't blame you Kyzoryn.....looks like you're very lonely here in this thread. Go play somewhere else with your basshead friends 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #6,464 of 7,982

i respect your opinion, lets not just group hate this guy. you like your bass! 

i wish you didn't return it =( i'm sure you could've found a good home for them. (which gr07 did you get?) 

while reading it i was thinking of grabbing your pair =( i don't need it really cause i have the gr07be but id be interested to giving the classic or the mk2 or a shot =) see what the difference is myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back