VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6,091 of 7,982
   stupid question since your a phonak user,

can you clean those filters? cause phonaks going out of the headphone business and i was thinking of stocking up on the filters when buying the pfe111s but (obviously the filters will run out) and i would like to know if its possible to clean it (and maybe how) 

however i'll probably get something else eventually but still something to know i love the gr07be and hope they'll be around with me for a while. but that smooth high end and the interesting filter tech is really intriguing me 

I've read that they can be cleaned in either warm water, or hydrogen peroxide. I guess what happens is they can get clogged with wax or something. I haven't needed to try and clean mine yet, but I did go ahead and grab a pack of grey filters when I bought my 07Bes. That whole discontinued thing makes me think stockpiling might not be a bad idea. Maybe the thing to do is if you can find a pair on PFE011/012 for cheap (I've seen some on sale for $60) and grab a pack of filters for $20 and you have the same thing for cheaper. The biggest question is what filter you'd want (personally I settled for grey, but the blacks weren't too bad either). I was thinking of doing this myself, but Headphone Bar doesn't have the 012s in stock anymore (not sure if they'll be getting more), and I've heard a lot of love for the 07BE so I thought I'd give em a try.

Also, the phonak tips will fit on the 07s and personally I find they fit my ears much better than the stock vsonics (plus it seems vsonic no longer includes hybrids anymore). I'm really liking the t130 complys. Not as bassy as the vsonic ones.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6,092 of 7,982
I've read that they can be cleaned in either warm water, or hydrogen peroxide. I guess what happens is they can get clogged with wax or something. I haven't needed to try and clean mine yet, but I did go ahead and grab a pack of grey filters when I bought my 07Bes. That whole discontinued thing makes me think stockpiling might not be a bad idea. Maybe the thing to do is if you can find a pair on PFE011/012 for cheap (I've seen some on sale for $60) and grab a pack of filters for $20 and you have the same thing for cheaper. The biggest question is what filter you'd want (personally I settled for grey, but the blacks weren't too bad either). I was thinking of doing this myself, but Headphone Bar doesn't have the 012s in stock anymore (not sure if they'll be getting more), and I've heard a lot of love for the 07BE so I thought I'd give em a try.

Also, the phonak tips will fit on the 07s and personally I find they fit my ears much better than the stock vsonics (plus it seems vsonic no longer includes hybrids anymore). I'm really liking the t130 complys. Not as bassy as the vsonic ones.

Im thinking the same thing cause essentially its the same driver only different filters, i would probably opt for the gray ones myself, maybe the black to try.

Stockpiling was an idea but the filters all clog at different rates depending on the amount of earwax and other factors, so i dunno how much i really need until i go through a couple of sets. And by the time that happens they might stop stocking.

Ive heard only once about the hydrogen peroxide thing too dunno if its true, theres no real consensus or any other people stating they tried anything else. Its a thin membrane so id be careful.

Thats the readon ive never considered them along with their price tag
Now that their cheaper now, its making me reconsider

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #6,093 of 7,982
  Got the pfe111s. Same thing no controls. It is freakishly comfy, but lacks some of the bass authority of the 07s (just got a pair of BEs last week). The phonak does have decent enough extension, but doesn't quite match the vsonics (probably an inherent characteristic of BA phones). The phonaks do have a much smoother high end though. My vsonics do have a sibilance issue and can be a little "ringy" in the high freqs, which is almost non exisistant in the PFEs). Overall I'd say both are good phones, and if I had to choose between the 2, I'd pick the Phonaks by a slight margin - but I've only had the 07BEs for a week so that opinion could change (plus I also have a pair of grado 125s which can fill my bass jonesing if need be).
Cheers. 

Do you think the sibilance issue could diminish with further burn-in time?  

A little added umph in the bass would be helpful I think for me.   I've been slowly increasing the bass presence on my 112's.  I am glad that the mids/highs remain clear even if I do that.

From the sounds of it though, it appears that these two earphones aren't necessarily an upgrade from one another.  Do you agree or do you see the GR07's improving after further use?

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #6,094 of 7,982
  Damn that's some sexy cable. Did you DIY it?

Nope, Had someone to do it for me, here's his fb/works https://www.facebook.com/barbiarbi/media_set?set=a.10201049883311292.1073741831.1294179940&type=3

Nice looking cable..who did it,btg? Btw you waited almost a year and half to post ur very first posting with nice pix......
biggrin.gif

I copied BTG's work, http://btg-audio.com/photos/undefined/Gr07.jpg. But instead of the midnight-iem cable, I chose to use Denko cable. Been a lurker much here. Pretty shy to post. Hah!

Sound wise, it still sounds the same, the highs seems to be a bit tamed, the 'sssss'. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6,096 of 7,982
  Do you think the sibilance issue could diminish with further burn-in time?  

A little added umph in the bass would be helpful I think for me.   I've been slowly increasing the bass presence on my 112's.  I am glad that the mids/highs remain clear even if I do that.

From the sounds of it though, it appears that these two earphones aren't necessarily an upgrade from one another.  Do you agree or do you see the GR07's improving after further use?

Since I've only had the 07BE for a week I'll have to see how burn in affects the sound. From what I've read it should improve. I hope so, but thankfully the hi freqs are too unbearable (unlike the skullcandy titan which I bought cause of a positive review in The Absolute Sound
frown.gif
)

It's really hard to say one is an improvement over the over because the Phonaks are balanced armature, and the Vsonic are dynamic drivers.
I feel like the sound of the Phonak would be more akin to a good stand mounted monitor, whereas the Vsonic would be a good floorstander. It is just a matter of preference at this point (personally I go for stand mounts - Paradigm Mini Monitors...Mmmmmmm
biggrin.gif
).

Still can't complain about the vsonics though. I was thinking of getting a pair of phones with a different sig, and accomplished that. I did spend more than I planned (but I wouldn't belong here on head-fi if I didn't
wink.gif
) I was planning to see how the vsd3 played out, but didn't want to wait, esp. since the 07be was on sale right now (also got the phonaks on sale bundled with a fiio e6), and I could buy them here in Canada

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6,097 of 7,982
Since I've only had the 07BE for a week I'll have to see how burn in affects the sound. From what I've read it should improve. I hope so, but thankfully the hi freqs are too unbearable (unlike the skullcandy titan which I bought cause of a positive review in The Absolute Sound:frowning2: )

It's really hard to say one is an improvement over the over because the Phonaks are balanced armature, and the Vsonic are dynamic drivers.
I feel like the sound of the Phonak would be more akin to a good stand mounted monitor, whereas the Vsonic would be a good floorstander. It is just a matter of preference at this point (personally I go for stand mounts - Paradigm Mini Monitors...Mmmmmmm:D ).

Still can't complain about the vsonics though. I was thinking of getting a pair of phones with a different sig, and accomplished that. I did spend more than I planned (but I wouldn't belong here on head-fi if I didn't:wink: ) I was planning to see how the vsd3 played out, but didn't want to wait, esp. since the 07be was on sale right now (also got the phonaks on sale bundled with a fiio e6), and I could buy them here in Canada

Ahh another canadian head fier!! Where did u get the phonaks??

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #6,098 of 7,982
Ahh another canadian head fier!! Where did u get the phonaks??

Ordered both my phones from Headphone Bar in Vancouver (no longer stocking the phonaks tho). Bought my Fiio X3 from Headphone Shop out there in TO. Surprisingly there aren't many decent headphone/portable audio shops here in Alberta yet. Makes auditioning impossible. If you're looking for big over the ear phones, then you're all set (bought Grado/Sennheiser in Edmonton), but not so IEMs.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #6,099 of 7,982
I haven't followed this thread much tbh. But I wanted to report that I got one of the last BE from lendmeurears. They sent me an email and said that no longer had all the accessories for it and if I wanted to go through with the order. Um...heck yea. Both the gr07mii and be are classics and should be snatched up quick if you can get them. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #6,100 of 7,982
  I haven't followed this thread much tbh. But I wanted to report that I got one of the last BE from lendmeurears. They sent me an email and said that no longer had all the accessories for it and if I wanted to go through with the order. Um...heck yea. Both the gr07mii and be are classics and should be snatched up quick if you can get them. 

Yup it seems that vsonic doesn't include hybrid tips anymore. The guys I purchased them from didn't even realized this until myself and another person emailed them asking what's up. Still worth the purchase (hybrids are cheap if I you do want), esp. if you can get em on sale like I did.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #6,103 of 7,982

mind sharing the included accessories that are being included with the current batch being shipped?
Thx.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #6,105 of 7,982
Nope, Had someone to do it for me, here's his fb/works https://www.facebook.com/barbiarbi/media_set?set=a.10201049883311292.1073741831.1294179940&type=3

I copied BTG's work, http://btg-audio.com/photos/undefined/Gr07.jpg. But instead of the midnight-iem cable, I chose to use Denko cable. Been a lurker much here. Pretty shy to post. Hah!

Sound wise, it still sounds the same, the highs seems to be a bit tamed, the 'sssss'. 

btg (brian to go)......one more guy i heard with his f
b link.....get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back