VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #5,746 of 7,982
  Haven't read the whole thread but,

has anyone found a good way to not wear them over the ear? any tips?

also.. I wish it had a j cord, oh well

Well, it's possible if you swap the left and right earpieces and adjust the nozzles although depending on your ears this might be uncomfortable. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #5,747 of 7,982
Love everything about this iem. However I am looking for something that has all the characteristics of gr07 but is a bit more based. Need to add an addition that can contemplate a little bit more bass sometimes. What do you guys suggest?

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #5,748 of 7,982
Love everything about this iem. However I am looking for something that has all the characteristics of gr07 but is a bit more based. Need to add an addition that can contemplate a little bit more bass sometimes. What do you guys suggest?

I suggest adding the $100 C&C BH amp to your GR07, I found they performed rather well indeed, especially with the well received Colorfly C3/ C&C BH combo many love on Head-fi. First, start with reading about the amp and it's bass boost feature. I've used the pairing they sound grand with that amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #5,749 of 7,982
  Haven't read the whole thread but,

has anyone found a good way to not wear them over the ear? any tips?

also.. I wish it had a j cord, oh well

just curious why would you not like to wear these over the ear- their designed for htat

just gett bigger tips if their not working

a j cable wouldn't help in that aspect

plus i thing the consensus is that jcables are annoying the asymmetry would cause uneven weight distribution and more cable noise

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #5,750 of 7,982
I'm trying to decide between these and the RE-400s. Are these worth the $30 premium?

i have both well the be edition for the gr07

i find the be gr07 is better all rounder, the bass is fast and punchy from what i'm reading here the sheer speed and fast decay is the same just the amount of impact is different for the bass (be obviously having more) i think its better for more modern music, edm, pop, rock etc

the midrange i felt is not really that recessed at all, compare the the bass

comparing the midrange to the re400 well, without the bass boost it made the vocals more clear and actually with the delicate treble response made the depth and height of the soundstage spectacular

the gr07 be had a little siblance in the treble compare the smooth and delicate treble of the re400. i got use to it so its not really a bother but if you a/b them its quite obvious.  but if you listen to a lot of rock (it can get a bit harsh fast). the re400 to me is better for vocal music and slower to medium tracks. 

the soundstage on the gr07 be is rather wide, it would be a lot airier without the bass boost i imagine the mk II would be more like that. but does not have much vertical height or layering to me 

if you want thumping bass neither is good for that. but both can reach very low and very high quite effortlessly. the re400 to me has better detail, easier for you to pick it out various aspects with listening. while the gr07 is kind of in a sense pushing it to your face (this is very minor, the klipsch s4 does this to a whole another degree, makes it very splashy, and indistinct)

i think the 30$ if anything would go toward the cable, the y connector and adjustable nozzle and the supreme amount of eartip sizes and ear guides. both are easily fitted but i think the gr07 would appeal to more (the cable is much nicer and sturdier) the nozzle will basically fit anyone of all different ear canal shapes

the re400 has a very nice j shape jack. very sturdy but i honestly think the cable should be replaced. but for 99$ thats such a small quibble considering how much sound quality you get for that price

mind you i use both over ear so microphonics is low for both its no bother

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #5,751 of 7,982
The RE400s are mid orientated so good for vocals. The GR07 BEs are great for electronic music. The mids are somewhat recessed and distant in comparison to the RE400s. The mid bass of the GR07 BEs are much more present. I listen to 80% EDM, mostly trance and some progressive stuff so I prefer the GR07 BEs much more. The GR07 improves with being amped, the RE400 not so much IMO

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,752 of 7,982
I suggest adding the $100 C&C BH amp to your GR07, I found they performed rather well indeed, especially with the well received Colorfly C3/ C&C BH combo many love on Head-fi. First, start with reading about the amp and it's bass boost feature. I've used the pairing they sound grand with that amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Thats a good suggestion, but usually i use iem's while commuting in a train, and carrying an additional piece of hardware along with a phone and a battery pack will be a huge hassle. GR07 is my first IEM that i am proud of. I have great times with this iem, however i always felt that GR07 can pack a little bit of bass. I am not a bass head, but songs that do have bass sound very mediocre. I would want something that sounds accurate for bass reproduction as its meant to be heard in music studios.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #5,753 of 7,982
Thats a good suggestion, but usually i use iem's while commuting in a train, and carrying an additional piece of hardware along with a phone and a battery pack will be a huge hassle. GR07 is my first IEM that i am proud of. I have great times with this iem, however i always felt that GR07 can pack a little bit of bass. I am not a bass head, but songs that do have bass sound very mediocre. I would want something that sounds accurate for bass reproduction as its meant to be heard in music studios.
Try different tips, the bass does come out. I make my own tips using Moldex Spark Plugs and my GR07 BEs never lack bass

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #5,754 of 7,982

thing is the gr07 i'm assuming you have the mkI or mk II correct me if i'm wrong is already slightly bass enhanced over neutral (synonomyous to accurate bass production= studio) you clearly need a little more (it can still be accurate and bassy) get the BE edition then 

however before you drop another load of cash check the fii0 e6 even in the eq 1 (no eq basically) the amp is a bit dark (the bass becomes punchier and the emphasis on lower mids and bass) the treble i thought was barely touched. plus if you check out my arrangement its not any more inconvenient. and the fiioe6 is cheap, and had nothing but positive reviews for its price

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,755 of 7,982
Try different tips, the bass does come out. I make my own tips using Moldex Spark Plugs and my GR07 BEs never lack bass

i was thinking of trying those out too, but i hate using foams because they wear out so fast and its convinent but the seal is amazing plus they dun change the original sound of the iems because it doesn't change the opening or the apeture of the canal

how long do they last you before you have to replace them? how often do you use it. i previously used comply waxguard t-100 i think and shure olives (olives are better imo, and for my wallet)

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #5,756 of 7,982
  i was thinking of trying those out too, but i hate using foams because they wear out so fast and its convinent but the seal is amazing plus they dun change the original sound of the iems because it doesn't change the opening or the apeture of the canal

how long do they last you before you have to replace them? how often do you use it. i previously used comply waxguard t-100 i think and shure olives (olives are better imo, and for my wallet)

Used everyday lasts me about 2-3 weeks before they start getting too soft

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5,759 of 7,982

GR07 are capable of creating accurate bass reproduction but you feed them garbage from a poor source what are they going to do? Pull it out of thin air? There's a saying on this forum called 'garbage in garbage out' and it couldn't be more true. You can go ahead and change the IEM's searching for that sound you're after although if you feed them with a poor source and low bit rate MP3 files not much is going to change. That's one thing many newer members over look, they're not pleased with the sound they're achieving so they immediately start looking at buying different earphones, this repeats itself over and over while the entire time they're using the same mediocre source. Assuming you're achieving a correct seal, If you don't want to bolt a credit card size amp to the back of your phone I suggest you look at the EQ apps and bring the bass up using those. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5,760 of 7,982

holy smokes 200 pairs?! lol how did you keep the bore from collapsing in those pictures

i tried some diy foams from the drugs store i punched a whole in them using a pen and cover them over the nozzle but almost always after i take them out and leave them they cover the nozzle almost entirely.

plus that opening for the sound to travel through looks like its cut really clean! well done! i just punched through it using a pen  

do you think you can direct me to thread that you learned this from? what did you do?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back