VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3,691 of 7,982
Nice to know someone that has the same findings. :) You chose to amp the D2+ instead of S9? Why?

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #3,692 of 7,982
Nice to know someone that has the same findings. :) You chose to amp the D2+ instead of S9? Why?

I've read comments at anythingbutipod about how clean D2+ headphone out is, also people who pair it with amps triple it's price for those reasons. Also, D2+'s footprint size fits on top of E11 nicely. So I guess it's partly a convenience thing. D2+ is a little brighter than the S9 so paired with a slightly warm amp like E11 seems to make sense.

Really impressive results!

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #3,693 of 7,982
Quote:
I've read comments at anythingbutipod about how clean D2+ headphone out is, also people who pair it with amps triple it's price for those reasons. Also, D2+'s footprint size fits on top of E11 nicely. So I guess it's partly a convenience thing. D2+ is a little brighter than the S9 so paired with a slightly warm amp like E11 seems to make sense.
Really impressive results!

Cool. Mine is a bit opposite though, J3 is warm and E17 is kinda bright(-ish). It's headphone out is also very clean and does not distort at max. Nice..

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #3,694 of 7,982
Cool. Mine is a bit opposite though, J3 is warm and E17 is kinda bright(-ish). It's headphone out is also very clean and does not distort at max. Nice..

What volume do you set your J3 too when you paired up with E17? Max all the time?

D2+ volume goes to 50 and I found 40 - 42 works well. though when I have amped my S9 (which goes to 40) I found 30 - 33 was nice setting.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #3,696 of 7,982
Quote:
What volume do you set your J3 too when you paired up with E17? Max all the time?
D2+ volume goes to 50 and I found 40 - 42 works well. though when I have amped my S9 (which goes to 40) I found 30 - 33 was nice setting.

Yes max all the time (40). I compared it to my N2 (dap) with the same track (taylor swift's lol), and N2's max distorts. It is very audible while in J3 distortion at all.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,697 of 7,982
Quote:
Is lendmeurears reputable?

Yep, I've bought from them 4 times; all went smoothly. And fast shipping too. 
smile.gif

I'd say they're one of the "bigger names" when it comes to selling VSonic products lol.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,698 of 7,982

Yeah, see, that's what a clean signal can do. :beerchug:

I tend to drop back a few notches allowing more volume adjustment from the E11 otherwise it distorts to early for me.

Anyway, back to amping GRO7! Try it sometime guy's, you might be mighty impressed as we are! :D

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #3,699 of 7,982
I have the MK2 and a Little Dot M+ portable amp. I also have a FiiO E6 that I haven't tested it with yet, but so far I prefer to use the GR07 unamped. Maybe the LDM+ puts out too much power or gain for IEMs; the hiss / static noise is amplified to a point of muddying the sound ever so slightly at normal to loud volumes while becoming distracting at lower volumes. This is the case with each IEM I tried it with. My headphones don't do it. It's not terrible, but there's no point to putting the amp in the chain if the sound doesn't improve. I love how well the LDM+ pairs with the T50RP. It's a shame it doesn't do so well with the GR07. The sound straight out of my iPhone with the GR07 is the sweetest I've ever heard it. These definitely offer sound quality exceeding expectations for the price.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #3,700 of 7,982
I have the MK2 and a Little Dot M+ portable amp. I also have a FiiO E6 that I haven't tested it with yet, but so far I prefer to use the GR07 unamped. Maybe the LDM+ puts out too much power or gain for IEMs; the hiss / static noise is amplified to a point of muddying the sound ever so slightly at normal to loud volumes while becoming distracting at lower volumes. This is the case with each IEM I tried it with. My headphones don't do it. It's not terrible, but there's no point to putting the amp in the chain if the sound doesn't improve. I love how well the LDM+ pairs with the T50RP. It's a shame it doesn't do so well with the GR07. The sound straight out of my iPhone with the GR07 is the sweetest I've ever heard it. These definitely offer sound quality exceeding expectations for the price.

That's strange, sounds like the LDM+'s gain is to high causing problems with your IEM's. Nothing like that happening with my E11 using low power and low gain. What I find is it gives the dynamics a slight boost and adds body to the sound. I'd be interested to hear if you find it similar with the E6.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,701 of 7,982
It might just be the tube sound not going well with the GR07 / not to your tastes. Try the E6, since you have it lying around anyways!

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3,702 of 7,982
Quote:

What source are you using?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,703 of 7,982
Quote:
What source are you using?

iPhone with mostly 320kbps or ALAC files.

I'll give the E6 a shot later tonight. The LDM+ is a solid state amp.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #3,705 of 7,982
Quote:

I used to have the Little Dot Micro + and as far as I recall Little Dot did a standard gain version for headphones and, upon request, a low gain version for use with IEM's. So, if its working fine with your cans then I guess the gain is too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back