VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #256 of 7,982

Quote:
I don't find SE530 to have a particularly wide soundstage too. Its mid centric sound tends to put most thing too upfront and close to the face. GR07 has a much better layered soundstage. The only thing that SE530 is doing better (soundstage wise) is height, which GR07 doesn't portray well.

Said in much better descriptions than I ever could.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #257 of 7,982

Thank you for your response. 

I see that burn in will only reduce treble. That is probably not good (for me). 

I was all set to buy a DBA-02, but the DBA-02's have build quality issues (right channel imbalance) that is apparently very common and Bugden Audio's insane customer service problems to make it worse, I chose the GR07. 

I may have to get a CK10 as much as I don't want to due to cost (the GR07 is already near the limit of how much I want to spend)

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #259 of 7,982
If you want the DBA-02, look into the Brainwavz B2.

Never heard the DBA-02 but have the new Brainwavz B2 that according to many who have heard both is supposed to be 98% the same. Same oem, same build, haven't heard any reported issues thus far, etc. I like it a lot but in general use, I wouldn't sacrifice the GR07 presentation for it unless I reaaaaally loved treble and needed the finest extra detail which the B2 has in spades. But that's just me. They compliment eachother well.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #260 of 7,982

Quote:
Huh. My impression is that treble got better over time.

Not as sibilant would be how I describe it. So, yes, if he enjoys a treble-focused IEM, then GR-07 is probably not for him.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #261 of 7,982
Not as sibilant would be how I describe it. So, yes, if he enjoys a treble-focused IEM, then GR-07 is probably not for him.

I guess for me it went from warm and slightly dark to better balanced. Perhaps the treble didn't increase appreciably, but the imbalance seemed to disappear, leaving a more prominent treble to enjoy, regardless.

I can't argue with your assessment though.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #262 of 7,982
Interestingly enough, Comply series P can be put on these with some work and actually can be easily removed afterwards. Sound is vastly different, but soundstage is almost on par with the Ultrasones..
Equalization for trimmed Comply P slim follows:

Electri-Q unfortunately does clip internally - had to add a -18 dB gain inside it, moving the curve a lot to the bottom.
It's one of the Basic band types.

Suprisingly, with the eq, highs surpass RE0...

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #263 of 7,982
The eagle has landed....

First thoughts: the bass is terrible! Then I realized I wasn't getting a good seal. The the stock double flanges and silicon weren't doing it for me. So I put the foam tips on and pushed these in deep (also had to rotate the stems and there was the bass!! Lots of it. Just as good with the Sony hybrids too. Actually to early to comment on the sound, but I like the bass and mids. The treble is not as forward as the EX600, but I'm not a huge treble guy so I'm find with it. I just don't know how these compare to the Sony, SM2, and HJe900. It is better than the SE215 and DDM as from what I can tell so far. More impressions later.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #264 of 7,982
The equalization and very long tips can make *the* IEMs from these. Funny how dependent the sound is on the nozzle width.
Someone should make a Comply P-series alike with wider nozzle...
etysmile.gif

Or perhaps I should get custom tips made after all.

Suprisingly, they now sound quite like Westone 4 with moderate insertion and better bass timbre. Really.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #265 of 7,982
Nice , Eric!  We must be experiencing some ESP or something.. I was playing with the monster foam tips this morning (best suited for my ears on GR07).. and found these absolutely sound better with a deeper insertion.  I typically went with the thicker (2nd largest) silver tips.. these gave a great seal but didn't insert as deep.  I went with the white and black foam tips and had the best results.. deeper fit and just as good of a seal..

Result? The treble and midrange was more clear and dynamic sounding.  Bass had more authority too.  Overall, it sounds more airy and the soundstage is just phenomenal.  Definitely a more accurate with a deeper fit.. a tight seal is imperative too.

The eagle has landed....

First thoughts: the bass is terrible! Then I realized I wasn't getting a good seal. The the stock double flanges and silicon weren't doing it for me. So I put the foam tips on and pushed these in deep (also had to rotate the stems and there was the bass!! Lots of it. Just as good with the Sony hybrids too. Actually to early to comment on the sound, but I like the bass and mids. The treble is not as forward as the EX600, but I'm not a huge treble guy so I'm find with it. I just don't know how these compare to the Sony, SM2, and HJe900. It is better than the SE215 and DDM as from what I can tell so far. More impressions later.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #266 of 7,982
It is better than the SE215..

Heh, being punched repeatedly in the face is better than the SE215! :p

I kid!

Although the SE215 is horrible.

Anyway, the double flanges don't work for me, but the single flange silicone and the Sony hybrids work great! Weird thing about the hybrids is that I push them too deep, I lose the seal. Odd that.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #267 of 7,982
Quote:
Nice , Eric!  We must be experiencing some ESP or something.. I was playing with the monster foam tips this morning (best suited for my ears on GR07).. and found these absolutely sound better with a deeper insertion.  The treble and midrange was more clear and dynamic sounding.  It sounds more airy and the soundstage is just phenomenal, more accurate with a deeper fit.. a tight seal is imperative too.

Not just better. Plain amazing once I've corrected the highs loss due to too narrow nozzle... Now I should really get some similar small but long tips. Recommendations?
Anything narrower than GR07's nozzle is likely wrong.

(With the abovementioned tuneup, these sound like speakers put in a free field! A bit far apart from each other though, similar to 90 degree angle.)

Quote:
Anyway, the double flanges don't work for me, but the single flange silicone and the Sony hybrids work great! Weird thing about the hybrids is that I push them too deep, I lose the seal. Odd that.

Similar here, narrow tips and deep insertion equals less of a seal here.
---
Edit: Darn, now I was listening for an hour straight and didn't notice...
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #268 of 7,982
Hello FlySweep! I will try the Monster foam hybrids when I get home. They worked best on my Fx700 when I owned it.

Quote:
Nice , Eric!  We must be experiencing some ESP or something.. I was playing with the monster foam tips this morning (best suited for my ears on GR07).. and found these absolutely sound better with a deeper insertion.  I typically went with the thicker (2nd largest) silver tips.. these gave a great seal but didn't insert as deep.  I went with the white and black foam tips and had the best results.. deeper fit and just as good of a seal..

Result? The treble and midrange was more clear and dynamic sounding.  Bass had more authority too.  Overall, it sounds more airy and the soundstage is just phenomenal.  Definitely a more accurate with a deeper fit.. a tight seal is imperative too.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #269 of 7,982
Not just better. Plain amazing once I've corrected the highs loss due to too narrow nozzle... Now I should really get some similar small but long tips.

Recommendations?

Anything narrower than GR07's nozzle is likely wrong.

I'm not sure I've seen a tip that's the size of the monster foams with the depth of the nozzle.  They don't sit as snug or "snap" on the way other tips do, but they're secure enough.  I've even fallen asleep with them on, tossed and turned all night.. and they were still in my ears the next morning.  Maybe Complys? But I don't like how they diminish treble response (even if trimmed/deep insertion).

I was blown away by how much better the GR07 sound with the Monster foam tips.. the foam is thicker so when you get them situated, they don't move and seal very well.

A tip with a narrower nozzle opening than the GR07's nozzle is most definitely wrong, in my experience.. which is why I didn't like the hybrids on them.. the hybrid tips opening is not as wide as the GR07 nozzle, and I could hear the treble being slightly attenuated.. no go for me.  Monster all the way.. or a custom tip/sleeve.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #270 of 7,982
Okay, I can say emphatically that the R07 and the Zo love each other. That Zo knows how to sweet talk all the iems so far, but I think the Zo has better chemistry with dynamics iems more so than with BAs. Just an observation so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back